Sports & Recreation

NBA 2022/23: Let the KD Saga begin

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
TheRealVinsanity wrote: Wow... I can't wait for game 7. Will the Spurs have anything left?
Well so far it's been..

Game #1 Spurs
Game #2 Heats
Game #3 Spurs
Game #4 Heats
Game #5 Spurs
Game #6 Heats
Game #7 (Spurs!?)

I'm not to sure but i "think" both teams have a unbeaten bounce back game record after losing a playoff game.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
Heat were on the wrong end of calls all night. So many phantom fouls, and non-calls on Lebron getting hacked on drives to the bucket. All they needed was some fair officiating and they made their run in the 4th. Hopefully we get better officiating in game 7. I'd hate to see a championship decided by the refs.

I thought it was a mistake by Spo to take out Miller for Wade towards the end of the 4th. Having Miller on the floor kept the Spurs defense honest and forced them to cover shooters on the perimeter, opening up the lane for Lebron. As soon as Wade was back in, the Spurs went on a mini run and retook the lead.

Anyone catch the Miller 3 pointer with one shoe?

[IMG]http://hoopsfix.hoopsfix.netdna-cdn.com ... o-Shoe.png[/IMG]

If the Spurs won, who would get the MVP? My vote goes to this guy. No idea who the hell he is. I refer to him as towel guy.

[IMG]http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/20/44/47/43 ... 28x471.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
That meltdown was like the Leafs-Bruins in Game 7 this year except the Championship was on the line.

Ginobli and Leonard missing clinching free throws was terrible but Popovic really screwed up coaching late in game 6 too.

He didn't go for the kill in beginning of 4th (resting Duncan and Parker which led to the Heat resurgence)
Spurs needed a rebound both times the Heat needed a 3 to tie. Duncan was on the bench.
Bosh does not secure those rebounds when standing next to Duncan.

5 seconds left in OT, and the Spurs needed a shot. Parker is on the bench. Pops has Splitter on the floor which
made it obvious he was going to use Splitter to set a screen.

Parker should have tried passing to Duncan to close out the game instead. I think Parker was blocked 2 times in the 4th and OT.
Duncan absolutely destroys Bosh on single coverage.
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
kennyhohoho wrote: Anyone catch the Miller 3 pointer with one shoe?

[IMG]http://hoopsfix.hoopsfix.netdna-cdn.com ... o-Shoe.png[/IMG]

If the Spurs won, who would get the MVP? My vote goes to this guy. No idea who the hell he is. I refer to him as towel guy.

[IMG]http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/20/44/47/43 ... 28x471.jpg[/IMG]
Ya, I mentioned the 1 Shoe Shot!!! Then Ray Ray does his Sean Elliot impression in the corner!!! :cheesygri

PATTY MILLS!!! Great to trade George Hill for mid-1st Kawhi Leonard!!! You can get guys like Mills and Joseph to backup Parker. Parker is one sick SOB!!! I'm sure the hamstring is keeping him at like 85%.

Glad to see the Birdman get some minutes as he's pure energy and effort that sparked the Heat play.
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
Danny Green was held to 1 for 7 shooting and (1 for 5) from 3. If the Spurs win and he puts up another stinker, would Parker be the MVP?

Well Lebron James has the highest average in Elimination games with around 32 ppg. Last night he put up 32 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists!!! That's sick!

Bosh and Wade were subpar but had nice stretches. Chalmers, Miller and Birdman were great. Ray Allen came up clutch with FT's and the tying trey!
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
x-factor wrote: That meltdown was like the Leafs-Bruins in Game 7 this year except the Championship was on the line.

Ginobli and Leonard missing clinching free throws was terrible but Popovic really screwed up coaching late in game 6 too.

He didn't go for the kill in beginning of 4th (resting Duncan and Parker which led to the Heat resurgence)
Spurs needed a rebound both times the Heat needed a 3 to tie. Duncan was on the bench.

Bosh does not secure those rebounds when standing next to Duncan.

5 seconds left in OT, and the Spurs needed a shot. Parker is on the bench. Pops has Splitter on the floor which
made it obvious he was going to use Splitter to set a screen.

Parker should have tried passing to Duncan to close out the game instead. I think Parker was blocked 2 times in the 4th and OT.
Duncan absolutely destroys Bosh on single coverage.
You have to remember how old Duncan is. He plays nowhere near 40 minutes a night. He was running out of gas and it was the right move for Pop to sit him. The Spurs also constantly switch on pick and rolls and you have Duncan switching onto Miami wing players all night on D. No doubt that tires him out more than other teams.

Duncan was beasting in the first half, but went scoreless in the 4th+OT. No doubt fatigue was a factor.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Bench Ginobli in favour of T-Mac for game 7? Terrible quote at the end of this article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--gregg ... nM-;_ylv=3

It's a close out game and everyone is going to be tired. Bosh secured 2 key rebounds that led to the Ray Allen 3. There was no point in benching Duncan unless he was afraid Duncan would have to shoot free throws.

In these playoffs, Duncan has hit over 80% of his FT attempts so that should not be an issue.
It might even be Duncan's last year if he retires this season.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11297 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto
BOSH for MVP, rebound, assist, 2 blocks!

i'm calling headband less lebron equals heat win

otherwise Dagger Danny with the comeback game and rains 3's lol
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1785 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
$10 bucks Lebron goes "headband-less" for game 7!
--------------------------------------
flickr
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
Wonder if anyone caught this last night.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 04921.html

Duncan shouldn't have been allowed to sub in during the review of Allen's game tying 3. That review was BS. It should've been a live ball and the Spurs should've been forced to inbound it that instant instead of giving them time to talk it over at the bench.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3983 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
kennyhohoho wrote: Wonder if anyone caught this last night.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 04921.html

Duncan shouldn't have been allowed to sub in during the review of Allen's game tying 3. That review was BS. It should've been a live ball and the Spurs should've been forced to inbound it that instant instead of giving them time to talk it over at the bench.
I was saying that while watching. Surprised commentators, refs, and Heat staff didn't catch that.
Would have made for an awesome story.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
^ lol.. totally missed the duncan subbing in thing... thats like getting someone on after an icing lol..

overall, everyone BUT Tim Duncan had bad plays for the spurs late in the game..

Manu was utter terrible...missing a free throw with 28 seconds left, could have put them up 6pts instead of 5, and woulda put less pressure on leonard...8 turnovers... pathetic drives...

Parker was terrible other than a like 15 second span where he hit a 3, stole ball, then layup.. he was 4-21 other than that 15 seconds..19% lol... and some crazy chucking of 20 foot jump shots, when he isnt a jump shooter..also NOT passing to a wide open duncan at the end of regular, in the same spot where duncan hit that REEDONK shot over Shaq with 0.4 sec left (yes i know spurs lost that one lol)

Leonard was really great other than missing that free throw with like 20 seconds left to put them up 4...

and finally.. POPOVICH was terrible... not having Duncan and Parker to start the 4th with double digit lead... not having duncan in late to rebound...Not taking a time out with 10 seconds left in OT down 1 point... call up a play... take the final shot and hope for the win.. not random shiz that ginobili did... having ginobili on at all when he was terrible.. woulda rather had gary neal in that spot...also.. 2 big men on the floor out of 5 guys when u need a 3pt with less than 2 sec left (yes overall it was a solid play call but Bosh read it)...
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
grappos13 wrote: ^ lol.. totally missed the duncan subbing in thing... thats like getting someone on after an icing lol..

overall, everyone BUT Tim Duncan had bad plays for the spurs late in the game..

Manu was utter terrible...missing a free throw with 28 seconds left, could have put them up 6pts instead of 5, and woulda put less pressure on leonard...8 turnovers... pathetic drives...

Parker was terrible other than a like 15 second span where he hit a 3, stole ball, then layup.. he was 4-21 other than that 15 seconds..19% lol... and some crazy chucking of 20 foot jump shots, when he isnt a jump shooter..also NOT passing to a wide open duncan at the end of regular, in the same spot where duncan hit that REEDONK shot over Shaq with 0.4 sec left (yes i know spurs lost that one lol)

Leonard was really great other than missing that free throw with like 20 seconds left to put them up 4...

and finally.. POPOVICH was terrible... not having Duncan and Parker to start the 4th with double digit lead... not having duncan in late to rebound...Not taking a time out with 10 seconds left in OT down 1 point... call up a play... take the final shot and hope for the win.. not random shiz that ginobili did... having ginobili on at all when he was terrible.. woulda rather had gary neal in that spot...also.. 2 big men on the floor out of 5 guys when u need a 3pt with less than 2 sec left (yes overall it was a solid play call but Bosh read it)...
Love when asked at the end why they didn't foul up 3 points. "Oh that's that European thing. We don't do that. We play defense."

Spo did what he had to do by putting Lebron on Parker to shut him down as Chalmers and Cole did no better to keep Parker in front but much harder for floaters over James.

Lebron can guard Duncan to Parker. Most complete player in NBA history.
Nov 27, 2009
933 posts
279 upvotes
Psubs wrote: Love when asked at the end why they didn't foul up 3 points. "Oh that's that European thing. We don't do that. We play defense."

Spo did what he had to do by putting Lebron on Parker to shut him down as Chalmers and Cole did no better to keep Parker in front but much harder for floaters over James.

Lebron can guard Duncan to Parker. Most complete player in NBA history.
Pop tried to save Spo's job (and James' greatness) by giving up his ring. Spurs won't fire Pop if they lose. But Spo will be gone if Heats lose. He also backed up Frank Vogel's no Roy Hibbert out there thing. Great coach indeed.

Which one is more important for NBA -- 2nd ring for Leborn vs 5th ring for Duncan? Stern owes Pop one.

"Oh that's that European thing. We don't do that. We play defense." Just needing a European ball handler to lead a US ball club. What a irony!
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11297 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto
That whistle to review is terrible though....it interrupts the game at a critical time... Thought it was odd he was allowed to sub in as well
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
4434 posts
218 upvotes
Hindsight is always 20/20.

I can understand the decision to guard against the 3 and switch on all pick and rolls to get shooters open.

Had Duncan been in the game and the Spurs were slower to switch on picks and the Heat get a cleaner look and hit a 3 anyways, people would be questioning why didn't Pop put in quicker defenders to guard the 3.

The way I see it, the Spurs defense did what it was supposed to, contest the 3 and make it a difficult shot and cause a miss. Just so happens that the Heat were able to grab the offensive board and Allen was able to make off a broken play.

Any one who plays ball knows that broken plays are very difficult to guard against as the defense is scrambling. TP did a good job closing out quickly. Just so happens the greatest 3 point shooter in the history of the game was able to hit it anyways :D
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
kennyhohoho wrote: You have to remember how old Duncan is. He plays nowhere near 40 minutes a night. He was running out of gas and it was the right move for Pop to sit him. The Spurs also constantly switch on pick and rolls and you have Duncan switching onto Miami wing players all night on D. No doubt that tires him out more than other teams.

Duncan was beasting in the first half, but went scoreless in the 4th+OT. No doubt fatigue was a factor.

No excuse to sit him down at the end of the game. They NEEDED rebound, everything else was secondary. They will either score or they wont. REBOUND was the key. Outrebounded twice which cost them the game. Even if they didnt get the rebound, duncans length could have tipped that out then they would have no time left.

Playing ginobli hoping he could get something out of him is just terrible. He was lucky in game 5 because the heat got caught off guard. Its pretty clear this pace is way too fast for ginobli, thats why he had so much turnovers.

Just terrible coaching from Pop. Still an amazing coach, though. The best in my eyes.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)