Boxing Day 2013 Deals Archive

NCIX Boxing Week Sneak Peek Flyer is Live! (Online & In-Store)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2014 7:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4136 upvotes
Toronto
LordAnubis wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 3:26 pm
that's why you back-up important data, even my mom & grandma knows/does that.
yeah, kept a backup but it was many many months old... lots of creative work done after that was lost also.
Aug 30, 2013
105 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
Fantaz wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 2:40 pm
I had an OCZ SSD drive die on my family member with all of their data, so good riddance to OCZ... caused me so much wasted time trying to fix/recover it.
never ever do backup on ssd drive
Aug 19, 2006
312 posts
63 upvotes
Many items in the sale show as regular price after adding to cart. I thought that the sale lasted until the 5th? The ASUS Z87-A ATX SLI Motherboard & Intel Core i5 4670K combo reads $329 after $30 rebate for a cart price of $359 but shows up as $389 in my cart. Sorry NCIX, no sale for you! Any similar CPU / MoBo deal recommendations would be appreciated if any RFD'ers have a suggestion. Thanks.
Dec 5, 2004
67 posts
16 upvotes
samcsamdo wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 2:36 pm
Many items in the sale show as regular price after adding to cart. I thought that the sale lasted until the 5th? The ASUS Z87-A ATX SLI Motherboard & Intel Core i5 4670K combo reads $329 after $30 rebate for a cart price of $359 but shows up as $389 in my cart. Sorry NCIX, no sale for you! Any similar CPU / MoBo deal recommendations would be appreciated if any RFD'ers have a suggestion. Thanks.
I think some of the rebates expired on Dec 31st. That's why the price is different.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11661 posts
1378 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
samcsamdo wrote:
Many items in the sale show as regular price after adding to cart. I thought that the sale lasted until the 5th? The ASUS Z87-A ATX SLI Motherboard & Intel Core i5 4670K combo reads $329 after $30 rebate for a cart price of $359 but shows up as $389 in my cart.
Top section of their sale usually says:
Weekly Surprise Specials - Limited Quantities Available.
* Available in limited quantities. Price & quantity subject to change without notice.

If you disable javascript and go to the product page, you can see that it was once $329. If you want something in the top section, it is best to buy it as soon as possible.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1221 posts
275 upvotes
Barrie
korsaire wrote:
never ever do backup on ssd drive
SSDs usually last a long time, at least according to some stress test that was done on a bunch of them a while ago.

http://techreport.com/review/24841/intr ... experiment

So it is basically a myth whenever someone says ssds are unreliable, they are just as unreliable as hard drives basically.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12046 posts
1538 upvotes
Kanata
nksharp wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2014 4:37 am
SSDs usually last a long time, at least according to some stress test that was done on a bunch of them a while ago.

http://techreport.com/review/24841/intr ... experiment

So it is basically a myth whenever someone says ssds are unreliable, they are just as unreliable as hard drives basically.
I wouldn't say it's a "myth" as some base it on their personal experiences with devices. For some, they get 1 bad SSD which puts them at 100% for failure vs all the HDD's they've had in the past that have not failed (could be 0% for some). It happens. Once bitten, twice shy, so the saying goes.

That said, I have not had storage devices die on me other than an IBM deathstar which was a drive known to fail, no myth there. SSD's, HDD's, some running for years in a server.
Dec 10, 2007
241 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
nksharp wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2014 4:37 am
Yep, you are correct. They are as reliable as Maxtor or Seagate which if you knew anything about drives are on the low end of the totem pole. Two minor facts that you seem to have missed: 1) OCZ drives are known to have a high failure rate and 2) The company went bankrupt due to the RMA costs (see point #1). QED - OCZ drives were very unreliable.

Having gone through the RMA process with a few, I am one of the lucky ones who got one that lasted more than 6 months, though I expect it to die any day now. As for the others, well just hit NewEgg and look at the reviews. For what you are paying per MB their failure rate is about twice what a good (read WD) drive will cost. Most manufacturers claim their SSDs have 5 years of life in them, but I have yet to see a single SSD make it more than 2.5 years of regular use (and most fail within the first 18 months). Even ones in systems that are only used for emails die this quickly, so if you still think SSDs are as reliable as HDs I am sure you will learn the hard way soon enough.

I do have two SSDs (for two systems), but perform bi-weekly backups on them due to their likely ability to just up and die without warning, after only six months of light use.