Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
NCIX

NCIX: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3 LP DX11 Video Card - $12.99 AR

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2013 5:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5680 posts
3098 upvotes
Vancouver
hmm. to get it back to displaying; i always have to reboot. I thought it was the power supply but its prob the card overheating. I'll see if i have a extra fan lying around for strapping.
andrewabc wrote: You could try strapping on an 80 or 120mm fan and see if that helps :)
If the fan on the vid card is working properly, I wouldn't think dual monitor would cause overheat problems, unless your playing games or something.

EDIT: reailized you're talking about a different vid card, but I guess what I said still applies.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1534 posts
453 upvotes
PEI
gamerthumbs wrote: You saw a huge difference in web browsing? Image and video download experience is Internet bandwidth limited and HTML rendering fast enough today on a modern CPU and GPU.

On my Internet 6 Mbps connection, I can not tell the difference browsing from a old dual-core with a old gpu to a modern quad-core CPU using a new GPU because of bandwidth. A faster GPU will increase the rendering time of the page content but by the time the page media is fully downloaded the page is rendered first and the video is buffering. Only at school on the old PCs, I can see the reversal, the page draws slowly because of the old hardware but fast connection.

It's hard to say if the price is worth it. Probably more RAM will help basic usage because the integrated video card takes some of it. But I hardly notice a difference from an integrated gpu to a dedicated for general web surfing on a 6 mbps connection.

I also have been using a RAMdisk for Internet cache while web browsing. It helps when I do my studies when I have to move back and forth between links so it doesn't touch the slow hard drive. I find it helps quite a bit.
When it comes to web browsing for me, if I had 1-20 tabs open, maybe a flash or so running, or images in multiple tab that use up lots of gpu power(storage/ram?), the web browser became much more responsive. It did not increase download/upload speeds obviously (180kbps down 50kbps up, or 1.4mbps connection). Just the responsiveness of web browser became noticeably faster. I already had SSD (which makes big difference in web browsing due to random reads/writes for database and cache), 6 core processor (multitasking) and 8gb ram, so the limiting factor was onboard graphics(4250). I also have chrome on 24" tv sometimes running flash video fullscreen, and firefox on monitor doing normal web browsing. Even just trying to switch tabs would be faster.

I use adblock, so that lessens the crap running in browsers that would slow it down.
hesp wrote: hmm. to get it back to displaying; i always have to reboot. I thought it was the power supply but its prob the card overheating. I'll see if i have a extra fan lying around for strapping.
Try use cable ties. That is what I am using on my 6670 when the fan it came with started making noise (strapped onto the plastic part that sticks out, which the GPU in OP post does not have). Unplugged the gpu fan power (but still there), and just put 80mm case fan strapped on. So it is quieter and same temps. Kinda tempted at some point to try 120mm fan instead of 80mm for added quietness and maybe cooler temps, but 120mm takes up more room.
http://imgur.com/zP4jWfF

I also had a fanless vid card on old computer and since there was lots of room beneath it to the bottom of case I just cut out part of red plastic cup, attached fan to cup (using elastic), then set cup/fan on bottom of case blowing air up to gpu, which cooled it a lot. If you have lots of room beneath gpu, may not need to attached directly to gpu, just have a fan propped up enough so that air can blow through it up to the gpu.
http://imgur.com/Ly0tQNu
Jan 3, 2013
33 posts
32 upvotes
VANCOUVER
didn't know rebate needed that box cut out.. I threw my box away already.. what can i do? :(
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1534 posts
453 upvotes
PEI
stargazer713 wrote: didn't know rebate needed that box cut out.. I threw my box away already.. what can i do? :(
Not much.
Also don't throw out your boxes until return warranty is over (15-30 days depending on retailer?) in case device fails sometime after you install it. With no box, you'd be kinda screwed to return to retailer if it turns out to be faulty, since they normally want everything back. Can't just mail back vid card in an envelope... :P
Same goes for big box stores, especially since it is easier to return an item that is faulty.
Jan 12, 2013
640 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
andrewabc wrote: When it comes to web browsing for me, if I had 1-20 tabs open, maybe a flash or so running, or images in multiple tab that use up lots of gpu power(storage/ram?), the web browser became much more responsive. It did not increase download/upload speeds obviously (180kbps down 50kbps up, or 1.4mbps connection). Just the responsiveness of web browser became noticeably faster. I already had SSD (which makes big difference in web browsing due to random reads/writes for database and cache), 6 core processor (multitasking) and 8gb ram, so the limiting factor was onboard graphics(4250). I also have chrome on 24" tv sometimes running flash video fullscreen, and firefox on monitor doing normal web browsing. Even just trying to switch tabs would be faster.

I use adblock, so that lessens the crap running in browsers that would slow it down.
I guess if you use a lot of heavy Flash\HTML5 based websites, then a good mid-range GPU is great for accelerating the web browsing experience.

20 tabs, 2 browsers, Dual monitor and Flash fullscreen. Yeah a good GPU makes sense.

ADBLOCK?!?! no RFDs needs ADs! lol
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1534 posts
453 upvotes
PEI
gamerthumbs wrote: I guess if you use a lot of heavy Flash\HTML5 based websites, then a good mid-range GPU is great for accelerating the web browsing experience.

20 tabs, 2 browsers, Dual monitor and Flash fullscreen. Yeah a good GPU makes sense.

ADBLOCK?!?! no RFDs needs ADs! lol
Their sponsored dell threads have gotten me to buy lots of stuff, so they're still making money from me :P
Can't trust any website with ads since all it takes is an infected ad it make it through to infect machine. Has happened on lots of websites before, so I don't really trust advertiser sellers who are worried about making money (not talking about RFD but the guys who sell the ads to websites).
Sep 21, 2001
389 posts
100 upvotes
West end
I see it at 12.99 after rebate still. I read through the rebate docs and it seems to indicate that you have 30 days from purchase to mail the rebate forms. Purchase needs to be before Jan 31, 2013 to be valid.
Is that correct. Can I buy now receive delivery (ontario) after Jan 31st and still claim this MIR?
A vaincre sans p�ril, on triomphe sans gloire. Corneille.
To win without risk is a triumph without glory. Corneille.
Bernese Mountain Dogs rock!
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
no more free shipping
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Oct 5, 2012
3 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Bought this card, so far so good... it lags a lil when u start a video, but overall a good card if u want to make a HTPC with HDMI..

Does anyone know how to get XP to recognize my TV as a secondary monitor?? its currently a mirror image of what is on my monitor, but i would like to make it an extended monitor.

VGA hooked up to monitor, HDMI to tv..

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1534 posts
453 upvotes
PEI
pburnz wrote: Bought this card, so far so good... it lags a lil when u start a video, but overall a good card if u want to make a HTPC with HDMI..

Does anyone know how to get XP to recognize my TV as a secondary monitor?? its currently a mirror image of what is on my monitor, but i would like to make it an extended monitor.

VGA hooked up to monitor, HDMI to tv..

Thanks,
Do you have the vid card software/driver installed? AMD Vision engine control center->desktop management.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4438 posts
1927 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
gamerthumbs wrote: ADBLOCK?!?! no RFDs needs ADs! lol
You know, there is such a thing as a whitelist.