Computers & Electronics

NCIX inspecting all Intel motherboards now?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2016 7:53 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19023 posts
455 upvotes
Shanghai, China

NCIX inspecting all Intel motherboards now?

I haven't bought a new motherboard in about three years. Back then NCIX never required an inspection before completing the sale. So when I went to pick up a board that I bought during Black Friday, the cashier said they need to inspect the motherboard for bent pins and I need to sign the receipt indicating that there are no bent pins. Since when did NCIX started this practice and are other stores including Newegg.ca doing this?
41 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19239 posts
4338 upvotes
Thornhill
Happened to me when I picked up a Mobo a few months back. I normally get them delivered so I didn't think about it.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1306 posts
945 upvotes
guess so they won't offer refunds if you bring it back and they notice something. they have really tightened their belts. they rarely accept lower price matches now. my local ncix is so dead now. I remember crazy lineups. their poor CS I had the day before black Friday ordering a video card left me shaking my head. bunch of morons.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15327 posts
2227 upvotes
Toronto
Canada computers also opens the motherboards for inspection too.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16521 posts
2201 upvotes
I wonder if consumer law is circumvented by this type of inspection, or is it merely for show by these stores.

From my understanding, warranties can only be waived if a product is sold "as-is" which generally applies only to used goods.
Last edited by coolspot on Dec 5th, 2016 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10042 posts
1399 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 10:33 pm
Canada computers also opens the motherboards for inspection too.
Yep, when I bought my Asus Sabertooth Z170 S they opened it up. At the end of the day I feel like it is protection for both the business and the consumer. Now if I bought it online and it was opened when I received it I would not be too impressed. But I saw them open it brand new in front of me so it was fine.

NCIX did the same thing about 5-7 years ago (somewhere in there) when I bought an MSI Big Bang XPower board and same when my friend bought the exact same motherboard at the same time as me.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16521 posts
2201 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 12:24 am
Yep, when I bought my Asus Sabertooth Z170 S they opened it up.
But what is the point - if you got home and found a bent pin then what? Merely opening up the box won't stop you or me from getting an exchange?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 12:28 am
But what is the point - if you got home and found a bent pin then what? Merely opening up the box won't stop you or me from getting an exchange?
Bent or missing cpu pin means no exchange or RMA if it leaves the store. You don't just let the guy inspect it for you - you have to inspect every single pin while you're in the store. Even if the store manager knows you as a friend the store cant return this to the mobo maker if the pin is damaged - it'll be rejected as a rma.

You still have credit card purchase protection if you break a pin after the purchase.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10042 posts
1399 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 12:28 am
That's why you look at the pins at the same time and see for yourself, if anything looks off, you don't buy.
rageking wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 12:31 am
Bent or missing cpu pin means no exchange or RMA if it leaves the store. You don't just let the guy inspect it for you - you have to inspect every single pin while you're in the store. Even if the store manager knows you as a friend the store cant return this to the mobo maker if the pin is damaged - it'll be rejected as a rma.

You still have credit card purchase protection if you break a pin after the purchase.
Exactly which was with my last point there before this one. You inspect at the same time. I've never had a problem and the CanadaComputers I bought it from had no problem with me looking at it.

Like I said though, if I purchased a motherboard online and it came in the package with the anti-static bag cut, I wouldn't even touch it, I would be calling the company directly. But with something like a motherboard you are better off going in to see for yourself if there is any damage.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10042 posts
1399 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 9:25 pm
I haven't bought a new motherboard in about three years. Back then NCIX never required an inspection before completing the sale. So when I went to pick up a board that I bought during Black Friday, the cashier said they need to inspect the motherboard for bent pins and I need to sign the receipt indicating that there are no bent pins. Since when did NCIX started this practice and are other stores including Newegg.ca doing this?
I have a feeling that was a one off and the CSR may have forgotten...
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1693 posts
819 upvotes
GTA
Yea its a good thing they do this both for the consumer and retailer. CC has been doing this for a while because of loss for them, people taking home boards, bending pins, bringing it back for exchange or return when they were physically damaging the boards by doing poor installs or inserting wrong socket type chips into motherboards, the stories I've heard from management.

Even at the beginning of this year Jan 2016, they had to change their policy on SSD Drives. Before they would open up the SSD and inspect to make sure the serial numbers matched and all was OK, so you can return it if there was any problem with the drive. That's what they used to do when I got my 840 EVO. When I got the 850 EVO when they first came out, no more inspecting and they changed the policy.

SSD's at Canada Computers Return & Exchange: 14 Days - Exchange Only If Opened The reason they changed their policy is (from what I was told) is because with 100% money back return on SSD's people were literally buying SSD's from CC to bring home and do quick large copy file transfers (because of speed), knock up read/writes on the drive, then return them back quickly with lame excuses like "it doesn't work in my machine" or I don't want it. Staff at the back found this out as they would test the SSD's (returned within a weeks time or less sometimes) and the drive would have write sectors on the TB range.

Makes you wonder WTF were people doing with those SSD's that they would accumulate lifespan TB writes in a matter of a week. The only open box drives you see there now are demo's (opened by staff) or leftovers. Which you can still grab sometimes at 10% off.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19023 posts
455 upvotes
Shanghai, China
karnige wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 10:32 pm
guess so they won't offer refunds if you bring it back and they notice something. they have really tightened their belts. they rarely accept lower price matches now. my local ncix is so dead now. I remember crazy lineups. their poor CS I had the day before black Friday ordering a video card left me shaking my head. bunch of morons.
I forgot to mentioned this earlier when I created the OP from my phone, but the guy said everything should be fine since I verified that there aren't any bent pins, but what if the mobo doesn't turn on? Just because there aren't any bent pins doesn't mean that it's perfectly ok.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19023 posts
455 upvotes
Shanghai, China
coolspot wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 12:23 am
I wonder if consumer law is circumvented by this type of inspection, or is it merely for show by these stores.

From my understanding, warranties can only be waived if a product is sold "as-is" which generally applies only to used goods.
I'm curious as well since the so called inspection doesn't guarantee that I got a working motherboard. The only thing that I verified at the store was that there were no bent pins.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1693 posts
819 upvotes
GTA
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 1:59 am
I forgot to mentioned this earlier when I created the OP from my phone, but the guy said everything should be fine since I verified that there aren't any bent pins, but what if the mobo doesn't turn on? Just because there aren't any bent pins doesn't mean that it's perfectly ok.
If you're doing the install yourself, just DON'T bend them. If there is a defect you can swap it. Bending pins voids returns and usually RMA because its user-fault. Yea you could have a dead PCI slot, or not functional DIMM slot, it does happen. In that case should be able to return it no prob.