Expired Hot Deals

[NCIX] MASSIVE KANTO SPEAKERS / SUB IN-STORE SALE!!!

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2017 5:38 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2792 posts
907 upvotes
If you have a pair of passive speakers lying around you could get a mini desktop amp for around $100 to drive them.
Nov 5, 2008
309 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
ravi121 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:41 am
I have to highlight one issue here. I'm not an expert on speakers at all but last time when the YU4 was on sale, I bought it. The speakers shut down after around 40 or so minutes (did not see track of the time, as it happened when I was doing some research work and the music was playing on the side) automatically, particularly when on blue tooth. Also, the glossy catches the fingerprints easily. It is a leap of faith to buy them. Good luck!
Yup ,it has auto off function after 30 minutes of idle (sometimes less) which is annoying if you connect it via bluetooth and I don't think you can turn that function off either.

Another issue is that if you are connecting directly with your phone or mp3 player, remember to turn "your phone" to high volume even if you want to listen at low volume or the speaker will turn itself off.

If I had more money and space, I would definitely go for other brand and use amp and etc.
But for compact solution, it's not half bad.
Even Obama was using Kanto YU5.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2016
32 posts
33 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
May 16th, 2017 4:48 pm
I'm only interested in the Sub6, but they have no stock in store and this deal is supposed to be in-store only. :(
Try negotiating with one of their associates. Call and ask if they will still honour the deal by having them ship the SUB6 to the store after you have paid in full! You won't know unless you try!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2093 posts
1186 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ravi121 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:41 am
I have to highlight one issue here. I'm not an expert on speakers at all but last time when the YU4 was on sale, I bought it. The speakers shut down after around 40 or so minutes (did not see track of the time, as it happened when I was doing some research work and the music was playing on the side) automatically, particularly when on blue tooth. Also, the glossy catches the fingerprints easily. It is a leap of faith to buy them. Good luck!
Pro tip: When a piece of audio or electronic equipment misbehaves one time, and there's plenty of warranty left, a sensible thing to do is wait and see if it does it again or has any other issues. Another senible thing to do is make use of the warranty and get it fixed or replaced to make sure it won't be an ongoing problem. You might also do some testing to see if the issue is with your device's Bluetooth rather than with the speakers. Notice that telling people that buying the product is a "leap of faith" is not included in that list.

I've had my YU3s for a few years now and have never had a single issue. They're really good speakers and this is a really good sale price.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1518 posts
309 upvotes
Ottawa
So are the YU4 replacing the YU3? I was about to buy the YU3 last time, but it seems like they are not even on the NCIX website anymore.

I want to get mainly because of the bluetooth function so I can get rid of the mass of cords around my laptop.
Aug 29, 2009
374 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
eugene188 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 7:56 pm
So are the YU4 replacing the YU3? I was about to buy the YU3 last time, but it seems like they are not even on the NCIX website anymore.

I want to get mainly because of the bluetooth function so I can get rid of the mass of cords around my laptop.
Yeah, Yu3 and Yu5 have been discontinued for the Yu4 and Yu6. I have both the Yu3 and Yu5 and think they're great. Yu3's are in my bedroom, connected to my laptop via bluetooth, and the Yu5's + Sub8 are in my basement and fill the room nicely.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1518 posts
309 upvotes
Ottawa
jack1984 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 8:07 pm
Yeah, Yu3 and Yu5 have been discontinued for the Yu4 and Yu6. I have both the Yu3 and Yu5 and think they're great. Yu3's are in my bedroom, connected to my laptop via bluetooth, and the Yu5's + Sub8 are in my basement and fill the room nicely.
cool thanks. Hope I can pick this up in store!

Has anybody else picked it up in store? Just go and show them the coupon code on your phone?
[OP]
Oct 17, 2016
32 posts
33 upvotes
eugene188 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 8:34 pm
cool thanks. Hope I can pick this up in store!

Has anybody else picked it up in store? Just go and show them the coupon code on your phone?
Yeps. That's what I did. They may not be aware of the coupon like the associate who helped me out, but just bring up this page with the link or type it on their phone to prove to them that the promo is indeed legitimate. Enjoying them right now as we speak! Being a student, this is all I could afford or else I would have gone with the Yu4's, but I don't have any more room on my desk since my new monitor just arrived today. I'll post pictures up later.
May 10, 2002
269 posts
Vancouver
I picked up the YU6 and the sound quality is impressive.
However the noise floor is not great. It would be fine at work or when used as a bookshelf, but for me I am overly sensitive to noise floor. The amp being used inside is a TDA7498.

Will sell them at some point in vancouver if anyone is interested.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21430 posts
2298 upvotes
dlo416 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:42 am
If you're a music junkie like I am, than these are fantastic. If you're not, than move on. For decent bookshelf speakers, you're easily looking at this price range.
Oh I'm a music junkie but I'm moving on alright as I'm pretty sure I'll stick with what I have already. As for easily in this price range I guess you've never heard of CAM and Kijiji, where one can find really good deals on great-condition used speakers...at less than the $300-ish the higher end ones will cost you after tax.

While the YU4s and 6s may be good, if one has a decent amp/receiver already, there's plenty of other deals out there on great un-amplified speakers, new and used.
Last edited by ES_Revenge on May 16th, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 19, 2013
155 posts
68 upvotes
damnu wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:41 pm
Yup ,it has auto off function after 30 minutes of idle (sometimes less) which is annoying if you connect it via bluetooth and I don't think you can turn that function off either.

Another issue is that if you are connecting directly with your phone or mp3 player, remember to turn "your phone" to high volume even if you want to listen at low volume or the speaker will turn itself off.

If I had more money and space, I would definitely go for other brand and use amp and etc.
But for compact solution, it's not half bad.
Even Obama was using Kanto YU5.
Much appreciated. Thanks for taking time to address that.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1515 posts
270 upvotes
Gatineau
CashJinx wrote:
May 16th, 2017 4:48 pm
I'm only interested in the Sub6, but they have no stock in store and this deal is supposed to be in-store only. :(
i went in store and they helped me order in store with the discount price and ask me to pick up next week
Apr 12, 2017
20 posts
Anyone have experience with the Kanto YARO2-SET (Amplifier and Speaker Combo)?

thinking of pulling the trigger on these for the desktop along with a decent Sub
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2001
1017 posts
57 upvotes
I have a pair of discontinued Kanto YU 5's paired with a Polk Audio 8 inch PSW-111 subwoofer purchased from Visions. I purchased the Kanto set from NCIX in Feb of 2016 for about $260 and the sub for about $200. At the time, I was forced into a new computer speaker set after my old Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system died and was lucky that I got a relatively good deal on a better sounding replacement. If you are considering a set of speakers from Kanto, the Polk Audio PSW-111 is a better alternative especially if it is on sale.

So far, I've been quite happy with this set up as it sounds great for both music and watching home movies and Youtube. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I am a bit picky about how my computer audio should sound and I don't have any complaints with regards to the sound these speakers produce. The only small gripe I have is with the auto off feature. If I don't play an audio source loud enough, my YU 5's will turn themselves off. Not sure if the YU 6's do the same thing but something to take note of.

In terms of customer service, it is very good as I had a question answered by one of their reps via email in less than a day. If I needed another set of computer speakers, I would not hesitate to give them my money again.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2001
1017 posts
57 upvotes
Deriot wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:25 am
Does anyone have eyes on the 8-inch subwoofer prices? Been looking for a SUB8GW for like 2 years now.
Get a Polk Audio psw-111 instead. It regularly goes on sale for around $200 at Visions and on Amazon.ca