Expired Hot Deals

[NCIX] MASSIVE KANTO SPEAKERS / SUB IN-STORE SALE!!!

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2017 5:38 pm
Nov 28, 2011
493 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
jpwkr1 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:39 pm
So they are trying to reduce it on the YU6 in another revision? Would they send you that for free?
I'll send them an email as well, to let them know its something many people care about.

I was going to attempt to clean it up myself, the main issue I see is that the power supply is right next to the amp. But it could be more complex than shielding/filtering the supply. I will let you know if I am able to improve it.
My understanding is yes, they intend on addressing the high noise floor issue. RE: will I be receiving a new revision for free? I'd be surprised to.

Here's a quote from one of my communications with a super friendly and helpful Kanto rep:
We’re currently in the process of reviewing the electrical design to see if we can reduce this noise in a future revision. At the moment we have only had a few customers reach out to us about this but regardless it’s on our radar.
and
I spoke with my engineer and he said that the amount of noise is within spec. It is expected to hear some white noise with a powered speaker and it seems our YU6 has a higher noise floor than the YU5 did.

I think Kanto is really close to bettering their highly-regarded YU5 speakers with the YU6. They just need to work around this challenge with the YU6 to perfect it IMO. I think the more this issue is brought up to Kanto, the higher chance this gets addressed quicker :)

If you're taking a DYI approach to resolving the bad noise floor issue, please let me know how it goes. I'd love to follow your progress. Hopefully it's something I can replicate at home if it works!
Mar 20, 2016
62 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
bluegang6 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:44 pm
My understanding is yes, they intend on addressing the high noise floor issue. RE: will I be receiving a new revision for free? I'd be surprised to.

I think Kanto is really close to bettering their highly-regarded YU5 speakers with the YU6. They just need to work around this challenge with the YU6 to perfect it IMO. I think the more this issue is brought up to Kanto, the higher chance this gets addressed quicker :)

If you're taking a DYI approach to resolving the bad noise floor issue, please let me know how it goes. I'd love to follow your progress. Hopefully it's something I can replicate at home if it works!
Thanks for sharing that.
These speakers were just released in January, and have a single review on amazon, so I would be quite surprised if they have sold many of them. Especially at the $500 price point on amazon. As for the spec thing, I don't understand that as there is no spec in their manual other than "<0.3% THD" which is not related to noise floor.

I spent some hours today investigating, but was unable to improve the hiss.
I will go through the areas I checked:
- Ground lug contact improved by tightening nut
- Supplied 10-30V with a linear supply, in place of the built in switchmode PSU
- Removed the analog inputs to the amplifier board, shorted the analog input
- Bypassed the 12V switching regulator on the amplifier board
- Tried dropping the gain from 01 to 00 (the lowest level, ~26dB)
- Tried changing clock

Basically the noise is originating from the amplifier board itself, and possibly inherent to the amplifier (TDA7498) somewhat. The only thing I didn't really mess with was the output filter of the amp.

One thing that would of course work is to put L-pads on the speakers (to basically drop all speaker output down), but this is a bit ridiculous for a solution and wastes power. At this point I will start looking for another amp.

Side note. The supply being used is ~31V, so maximum power according to manufacturer is about 90W. Their spec is "100W total", which is realistic but would be better said as "50W per channel". Not that it matters too much, 50W is plenty.
Images
  • yu6_amplifier.jpg
Sep 16, 2005
602 posts
27 upvotes
Richmond Hill
So coupons are expired? Are they still selling instore for the discounted price for YU4?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1487 posts
300 upvotes
Ottawa
nezura wrote:
May 20th, 2017 11:53 pm
So coupons are expired? Are they still selling instore for the discounted price for YU4?
I was wondering the same thing. OP has it expiring May 31, but it is gone from the coupons page! I was going to go tmw or on Wednesday!

Do you remember how much it was supposed to cost? there is a code on the product page bringing online orders to $300. I thought I remember it being less than that...
Oct 8, 2010
535 posts
72 upvotes
dlo416 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:29 pm
That's a lie. I have a friend who took a screenshot of the coupon. It says the EOM. It doesn't matter for you, but man, I would have been pissed!
Sent PM...