Expired Hot Deals

[NCIX] Powercolor HD 7870 PCS+ MYST.(TAHITI LE) 79xx based! $235 - $20MIR = $215

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2013 8:03 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 5, 2012
193 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
:S Confused about this can anyone please answer my questions?

EDIT: about its base price

EDITEDIT: How loud is 45 db?
Nov 20, 2009
596 posts
121 upvotes
Victoria
chickenswagger wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 2:27 am
The only one thing holding me back is the noise.

EDIT: I Really dont understand why this is better. its clocks are lower than the Gigabyte / XFX. If it really is better, why is the price low then?!! I mean its regular price
Check the reviews in the OP, this card's core is actually a cut down 7950/7970 rather than a 7800 series GPU. It's got +20% more shader cores and the additional SIMDs/texure units to go along with them. Really it would've been far clearer to label this a 7930, as at identical clocks this would be far superior to a 7870.

The regular price is low because it's late to the party, introducing this with a MSRP similar to the MSRP of 7870 on release simply wouldn't work.

I for one like these oddball cards/limited re-releases, usually solid value. I'm currently rocking one of the re-released sapphire 5850s from 2011, apparently using cores that were intended for firepro cards. If I was in the market for a +$200 GPU I'd be allll over this.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC
chickenswagger wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 2:27 am
The only one thing holding me back is the noise.

EDIT: I Really dont understand why this is better. its clocks are lower than the Gigabyte / XFX. If it really is better, why is the price low then?!! I mean its regular price
It's brand new, despite being the 7870 naming it's a faster GPU. As such it's competing with cards that have been on the market for a while. It's being priced to beat the 660ti at the moment to garner all the Christmas sales and hold AMD as the preferred GPU vendor until the Sea Island stuff comes (8xxx, due out sometime in the next few months).

As mentioned, it's more like a 7930. I wonder if AMD is trying to consolidate the number of chips they have to produce, it might be cheaper to produce a big batch of 79xx GPU's and bin them differently than produce the 78xx and 79xx. I really hope we see a 7850 with this GPU.
Aug 5, 2012
193 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
as long as its under 250 im ok. So everyone is saying this is the better choice for a card. I'm about to pull the trigger. However with only one fan, it has 71 degree at load and 48 decibels. How loud/hot is that? :|

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39701/Reviews

Im debating between this and the Gigabyte 7870 OC. It has 3 fans so apparently its SUPER quiet.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC
chickenswagger wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 3:08 am
as long as its under 250 im ok. So everyone is saying this is the better choice for a card. I'm about to pull the trigger. However with only one fan, it has 71 degree at load and 48 decibels. How loud/hot is that? :|

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39701/Reviews

Im debating between this and the Gigabyte 7870 OC. It has 3 fans so apparently its SUPER quiet.
Not significantly. You can compare the Tahiti LE card to the Gigabyte and reference. The Gigabyte is the quietest, however the reference 7870 is louder than both. Plus a Tahiti LE card will give you more power for less cost. However the gigabyte does stay much cooler under load.

Personally I'd just grab an aftermarket cooler when you see one on sale though, they're generally far better.
Nov 28, 2010
179 posts
23 upvotes
Trying to figure out ... I need a sub 250 GPU asap. Had this been an Asus or MSI or something more ''major'' i'd have already ordered but i'm not quite sure what to do.... Maybe my fear is not justified...

1) Pull the trigger on this one
2) Wait for major manufacturer to come up with Tahiti based 78XX
3) Wait for the next gen AMD GPUs
Dec 28, 2012
2 posts
MONTR
I compared both and I choose finaly the GB OC at http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/24157 ... /Gigabyte/

Free shipping, no MIR, but decent price , and very quiet card!

slitcher wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 9:08 am
Trying to figure out ... I need a sub 250 GPU asap. Had this been an Asus or MSI or something more ''major'' i'd have already ordered but i'm not quite sure what to do.... Maybe my fear is not justified...

[OP]
Sep 12, 2007
96 posts
20 upvotes
Scarborough
slitcher wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 9:08 am
Sapphire is supposedly releasing a card based on the same chip but with their dual x cooler
http://www.techpowerup.com/177589/SAPPH ... unced.html

Understandly you might not trust powercolor as much as asus/msi, however, this card is based on AMD's Reference design for the 7870 Tahiti-LE, so its not really been "modified" off specifications by powercolor in any way.
If you look at the reviews in OP, you will notice the cards by Club3D and VTX have the exact same cooler and clock speeds etc. they are all based on AMD reference.

For those concerned about noise and heat, this card is very quiet in idle, and its noise during load approx 35 dba is just an audible fan hum, by no means an annoying 3000rpm fan or anything. Assuming you are gaming when this card is on load in an enclosed case, the noise shouldn't even be noticeable.

But if even then your still want quieter/cooler then i suppose REGULAR 7870 will be the way to go.
BST in GTA (Any area near TTC Subway/RT Stations). Pacific Mall region preferred.
Add to my heatware too!
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2284 posts
261 upvotes
Tronno
heads up for ontario: FirstMarkhamPlace location has mislabeled both cards (hd 7850), they dont have any of this in stock

strong waste of 30 min to hand me a hd 7850 lol
Dec 26, 2007
493 posts
73 upvotes
Hyphy wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 1:32 pm
heads up for ontario: FirstMarkhamPlace location has mislabeled both cards (hd 7850), they dont have any of this in stock

strong waste of 30 min to hand me a hd 7850 lol
You must have been the guy ahead of me. I bought the card and waited for it to come out. The lady told the guy who sold it to me that some guy just brought one back that was mislabeled. Mississauga store is also mislabeled ( I called...didnt bother trying to drive there)

I kept my receipt, the guy told me they hope to have them in from BC on Thursday or Friday.

Of course it is the last piece i needed for my build
Nov 20, 2009
596 posts
121 upvotes
Victoria
shoebox wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 12:38 pm
For those concerned about noise and heat, this card is very quiet in idle, and its noise during load approx 35 dba is just an audible fan hum, by no means an annoying 3000rpm fan or anything. Assuming you are gaming when this card is on load in an enclosed case, the noise shouldn't even be noticeable..
Complaining about 35dba from a video card under load is humorous IMO, considering a standard 7200RPM Western Digital 3.5" HD has an idle dba of 28, with seeks rated at 32dba.
Unless you've spent extra on components specifically to reduce noise & soundproof your rig this isn't going to bother you. (most case fans at standard voltage will be louder)

Hell, I've seen noise benchmarks that have a noise FLOOR higher than 35dba.
Aug 5, 2012
193 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
From what i've heard its 45 dba. I am getting this card regardless but just dont know if thats loud or not
Dec 28, 2004
475 posts
79 upvotes
Thanks OP, just what I have been looking for. Figure I'll get a better cooler for it down the road.
× < >