Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[NCIX] Samsung M3870fw multifunction laser printer from $599 to $199

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2015 1:48 pm
Aug 26, 2008
567 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone knows how the printer handles single-faced pages in duplex mode? My current Samsung (SCX model) redundantly reverses them, doubling printing time of single-page jobs.
What's the warm-up time? 30s for the first page is barely acceptable, even for home use.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
niroopg wrote: Laser printer is a laser printer. For home use, it doesn't really matter which one you get. Brother is slightly more efficient and cost effective at high volumes. It isn't much of a consideration for home use.
This is not true. A lot of the low end lasers may suck for various reasons, or else may have missing features home users want.
Joelllle wrote: I'm looking for a colour laser printer for home use, but this one is too clunky for where I'd like to have it (home office closet, on top of a small shelf). I have a small one now, but it isn't wireless. Oh well.
This one isn't colour anyway.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
Joelllle wrote: I'm looking for a colour laser printer for home use, but this one is too clunky for where I'd like to have it (home office closet, on top of a small shelf). I have a small one now, but it isn't wireless. Oh well.
Samsung and Xerox have color wireless laser with small footprint. They go on sale from time to time for $200 before coupon. No duplex though.
http://www.staples.ca/en/Samsung-SL-C46 ... CA_1_20001
http://www.staples.ca/en/Xerox-WorkCent ... CA_1_20001
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
82 wrote: Samsung and Xerox have color wireless laser with small footprint. They go on sale from time to time for $200 before coupon. No duplex though.
Gotta have duplex. Very handy feature for the lazy.

only reason I'm still using my monochrome non-duplex printer is because I got it for free, and the toner costs 20$ a piece.

If I'd were to buy a new laser printer, color, and duplex are a must. Don't really care about anything else.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Aug 23, 2014
435 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Dinujan wrote: Gotta have duplex. Very handy feature for the lazy.

only reason I'm still using my monochrome non-duplex printer is because I got it for free, and the toner costs 20$ a piece.

If I'd were to buy a new laser printer, color, and duplex are a must. Don't really care about anything else.

you need duplex printing or duplex scanning/copying? duplex printing can do almost all new once. duplex scanning is tricker.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2011
1021 posts
70 upvotes
Dieppe
82 wrote: Samsung and Xerox have color wireless laser with small footprint. They go on sale from time to time for $200 before coupon. No duplex though.
Thanks!

And thanks to the poster who mentioned it's not a colour printer anyway. I failed to really look into it.

I don't need duplex. I don't really even need a scanner. Whatever I need scanned, I usually scan with my phone anyway. If it's there, fine, but for me, not a deal breaker at all.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Impressive. I ordered this morning at 10 am, and before 8 pm tonite, it was already at the Toronto Purolator sort centre. I thought it would come from BC, but I had failed to realize that it was also in stock at the Ontario warehouse.

This is perfect, as I also live in Toronto. Hopefully that means I'll get it tomorrow, or at least before the end of the week.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Sweet!

On vehicle for delivery
Aug 23, 2014
435 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
EugW wrote: Sweet!

On vehicle for delivery
good! I ordered mine to to be picked up from the ncix store, so waiting for it to be shipped to the staore, hope to get it today!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Got it all set up. Working great with Mac OS X Yosemite. No driver install needed. Both scan and print working fine. I have it configured with a static IP using Ethernet. Have not tried WiFi.

AirPrint detection for iOS devices was also automatic.

[IMG]http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24 ... oew7qb.png[/IMG]

With Windows 7 the setup was also relatively automatic with no driver install, but it took a reboot to fully register. Both printing and scanning work fine on Windows too.

Fax works well, and one of the best features is that if you log into the printer using its IP address via a web browser, you can enter the names and phone numbers for your address book there. No need to use the annoying numeric keypad to enter that stuff. Distinctive ring works well and the setup is automatic. Just go to the distinctive ring feature in the settings and then call the unit, and it will sense the type of distinctive ring. You do have to actually turn on that feature in another setting though, or else the unit will continue to answer any time of ring.

This printer actually takes up less room than my previous lower end Epson inkjet multifunction printers. Why? because the base is smaller. The top document feeder and scanner section is bigger, but it's raised, so it doesn't get in the way of stuff beside it.

Definitely feels like a small business office unit. Unit warms up very fast from power saver mode, less than 10 seconds, and prints quickly. In fact, it warms up so fast there is not much point for a home user not to delay it changing to power saver mode. It isn't quiet though when printing or scanning. Luckily my sleeping infant son didn't seem to notice. And yes it comes with a USB cord, yet another USB cord I won't use.

There is no memory card slot, but scan to USB functionality works fine. The one annoying thing though is the USB drive is not accessible over the network. So, you have to remove the USB drive to access the scans. On my Epsons, there were memory slots which were accessible over the network.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Price is now $249.99 until Feb. 4.
Aug 23, 2014
435 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
EugW wrote: Got it all set up. Working great with Mac OS X Yosemite. No driver install needed. Both scan and print working fine. I have it configured with a static IP using Ethernet. Have not tried WiFi.

AirPrint detection for iOS devices was also automatic.

[IMG]http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24 ... oew7qb.png[/IMG]

With Windows 7 the setup was also relatively automatic with no driver install, but it took a reboot to fully register. Both printing and scanning work fine on Windows too.

Fax works well, and one of the best features is that if you log into the printer using its IP address via a web browser, you can enter the names and phone numbers for your address book there. No need to use the annoying numeric keypad to enter that stuff. Distinctive ring works well and the setup is automatic. Just go to the distinctive ring feature in the settings and then call the unit, and it will sense the type of distinctive ring. You do have to actually turn on that feature in another setting though, or else the unit will continue to answer any time of ring.

This printer actually takes up less room than my previous lower end Epson inkjet multifunction printers. Why? because the base is smaller. The top document feeder and scanner section is bigger, but it's raised, so it doesn't get in the way of stuff beside it.

Definitely feels like a small business office unit. Unit warms up very fast from power saver mode, less than 10 seconds, and prints quickly. In fact, it warms up so fast there is not much point for a home user not to delay it changing to power saver mode. It isn't quiet though when printing or scanning. Luckily my sleeping infant son didn't seem to notice. And yes it comes with a USB cord, yet another USB cord I won't use.

There is no memory card slot, but scan to USB functionality works fine. The one annoying thing though is the USB drive is not accessible over the network. So, you have to remove the USB drive to access the scans. On my Epsons, there were memory slots which were accessible over the network.
Cool, you tested most of the things.

got mine yesterday as well. its a beast, expected it to be smaller, definitly a small buissness printer, but since the price was attractive why not to have it at home. i updated the firmware yesterday, and was surprised that you can do that over wifi. the print quality is good. i could also print from the ipad and from google drive on the ipad. still need to test the scanning and copying.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't realize there was a new firmware. I'll try to update it soon.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-mult ... 2-1354.htm

This is a common issue with NCIX. They often have multiple entries for the same product. If one sale ends, the price may go back up to the original price for that link, but they may have created a separate link with a new sale price. That seems to be case here.
Aug 23, 2014
435 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
EugW wrote: I didn't realize there was a new firmware. I'll try to update it soon.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-mult ... 2-1354.htm

This is a common issue with NCIX. They often have multiple entries for the same product. If one sale ends, the price may go back up to the original price for that link, but they may have created a separate link with a new sale price. That seems to be case here.
Oh good to know.
Oct 26, 2004
418 posts
62 upvotes
I ended up getting this from Staples with a price match at $199.99 + Ebates + free shipping.