Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 15, 2008
517 posts
114 upvotes
Montreal

NCIX sent 2x4GB RAM in 2x8GB RAM packaging

My buddy ordered PC parts from NCIX and I built it for him.

Ultimately we noticed that he had 8GB RAM instead of 16GB that he ordered. The packaging was correct, but the actual sticks in the packaging were 4GB sticks.

Understandably, NCIX is skeptical since he could just be a scamming jerk, but ultimately they 100% f'ed up here (or, more likely their supplier did). It has been like 2 months since he ordered and they keep stalling on him every time he calls to ask what's going on.

What kind of recourse does he have?? I keep telling him to chargeback or apply for small claims.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2497 posts
1488 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Cronzor wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 9:16 am
My buddy ordered PC parts from NCIX and I built it for him.

Ultimately we noticed that he had 8GB RAM instead of 16GB that he ordered. The packaging was correct, but the actual sticks in the packaging were 4GB sticks.

Understandably, NCIX is skeptical since he could just be a scamming jerk, but ultimately they 100% f'ed up here (or, more likely their supplier did). It has been like 2 months since he ordered and they keep stalling on him every time he calls to ask what's going on.

What kind of recourse does he have?? I keep telling him to chargeback or apply for small claims.
How long was it before either of you noticed? Me? I always check the label on the modules themselves before I even open the package, where possible, and certainly as soon as I open the package if I can't do that. It's possible NCIX thinks it's a dodgy story because of delays in reporting the discrepancy.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2008
517 posts
114 upvotes
Montreal
We noticed on the first boot-up when we saw the numbers reported in the system information.

He sent an email that moment, and phoned them asap on Monday when they were open.

I saw the 8GB on the sticker on each stick, but I assumed this meant each stick was 8GB. Regardless, anyone could easily open the package and replace the sticks (easily opened and re-closed package). I think these are the sticks he bought, you can see the packaging is easily re-closeable: http://media.bestofmicro.com/T/9/397629 ... 6-16gb.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5847 posts
3823 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Cronzor wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 10:07 am
I saw the 8GB on the sticker on each stick, but I assumed this meant each stick was 8GB.
Afaik, that's usually what it means. Just to clarify, is the system picking up 2x4 or 1x8? It's possible that one stick is dead.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9081 posts
2102 upvotes
Once, NCIX gave me 1 3TB WD RED HDD and 2 2TB WD RED HDD, instead of 2 3TB's and 1 2TB. I was very lucky I noticed just as I was putting them in my car, so I went back with all 3 and showed them that they *****ed up. I was thinking the same thing tho. If I wouldn't have noticed before I left, NCIX would've screwed me over.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2008
517 posts
114 upvotes
Montreal
aeba7 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 11:02 am
Afaik, that's usually what it means. Just to clarify, is the system picking up 2x4 or 1x8? It's possible that one stick is dead.
Yeah I tested for that possibility. Both sticks inserted individually show 4GB. So it's two working 4GB sticks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5847 posts
3823 upvotes
Richmond Hill
At this point (2 months in), I would lay down the law: call them and tell them you want a replacement or refund in five business days, or you'll opt for a chargeback. Don't let them drag this issue on any longer.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
751 upvotes
Vancouver
Did you check the receipt if SN is recorded?
Mar 10, 2011
200 posts
110 upvotes
Niagara
aeba7 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:48 pm
At this point (2 months in), I would lay down the law: call them and tell them you want a replacement or refund in five business days, or you'll opt for a chargeback. Don't let them drag this issue on any longer.
+1 They've handled any issues I've had, never had one quite like this however.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2008
517 posts
114 upvotes
Montreal
aeba7 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:48 pm
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I will advise my friend.

He is not one to really argue for his rights. He was actually going to just let it go, I told him that was dumb as hell. I know it's not my problem, but I built that machine and it pisses me off :)
[OP]
Mar 15, 2008
517 posts
114 upvotes
Montreal
importpsycho wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 1:30 pm
Did you check the receipt if SN is recorded?
Matches packaging, not the sticks
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
751 upvotes
Vancouver
Cronzor wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 2:05 pm
Matches packaging, not the sticks
Sn is on the stick not on the cardboard insert.

Ncix has to be tracking SN to prevent ppl from buying new set and returning it after swapping with dead set, or 4gb sticks.
If receipt shows you paid for 16 but they scanned 8gb SN, then there is your proof.

If they are not recording SN...hmmmm gives me an idea.... LOL
Oct 25, 2014
118 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cronzor wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 10:07 am
We noticed on the first boot-up when we saw the numbers reported in the system information.

He sent an email that moment, and phoned them asap on Monday when they were open.

I saw the 8GB on the sticker on each stick, but I assumed this meant each stick was 8GB. Regardless, anyone could easily open the package and replace the sticks (easily opened and re-closed package). I think these are the sticks he bought, you can see the packaging is easily re-closeable: http://media.bestofmicro.com/T/9/397629 ... 6-16gb.jpg
so the white stickers on the stick itself say 8GB? If so probably the manufacturer fk up? Cause I dont' think you can swap that white stickers without it breaking and being really noticeable.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2008
517 posts
114 upvotes
Montreal
stanleyt wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 2:27 pm
so the white stickers on the stick itself say 8GB? If so probably the manufacturer fk up? Cause I dont' think you can swap that white stickers without it breaking and being really noticeable.
For this particular brand they put the "total" on both sticks, like in that picture. So each should have said 16gb.

It's a touchy situation, if you receive an item like this you basically can't prove your innocence.