Shopping Discussion

NCIX Shipping - Opinions on shipping insurance?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2013 3:41 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 16, 2007
293 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
hahah nice story nfuz...

just the box, its maybe pushed in like 0.5cm barely anything... that being said i haven't taken it out of the packaging just yet...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
I paid 3 percent (Additional Insurance) for a $300 purchase, that is about $7.50 CDN. It aint that bad. I dont want to see Purolator messes up my order. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
209 upvotes
I have actually been through this process with NCIX. I have ordered many tens of thousands of dollars of equipment from them over the years (and have NEVER got any extra insurance) but I had problems with just one order. Approx $7500 worth of goods, and close to $3K worth just flat out missing on delivery. There were several boxes involved, so I thought it was an honest mistake. When I called NCIX, I was told they would cover the $100. When I told them that non-delivery was a valid reason for a chargeback, the rep became extremely angry and abusive, telling me to "just try it - this happened to me just last week and I won!".

It took all of 10 minutes on the phone to Visa to sort it out, the chargeback went through as soon as the waiting period was over, and an NCIX admin who read my original thread here about the process contacted me and gave me some swag and an upgraded account with them for my trouble.

Long story short - until you have given proof that you have received all the goods ordered in good condition, the responsibility belongs wholly to the seller. Lulz and Dis are exactly right, and the people mocking them in this thread are exactly wrong. Shipping insurance is a scam and free money for NCIX. The only case where it might make sense is if it gives you the right to return an expensive LCD for a dead pixel.

If anyone here has ever had this happen and did NOT succeed in a chargeback, please post. Those chiming in with no experience, feel free to STFU.
Nov 12, 2008
195 posts
I just ordered from NCIX. I needed some help and so spoke with someone on the phone to finish up the order. He then told me that the order (a pre-built PC) did not qualify for the "free shipping" offer since I placed the order through him.

When I said that I would not place my order because I only started the order in the first place because of the "free shipping" offer, the NCIX phone sales rep came back and said that I could get the "Free Shipping" but I would have to take out the Insurance....so I did.

I think I was misled. I did not request the insurance to begin with, and had no intention of paying extra for this insurance. I feel cheated.
Nov 24, 2005
355 posts
9 upvotes
So it looks that if you paid for the purchase using a Credit Card and you do not get the item (loss), it's clear a charge back can be issued and you do not need to buy NCIX insurance.

But what if the item arrived damaged (breakage)? Say it's an expensive item that costed more than $100? Also say that you already accepted the package, so UPS can't return it.

I don't think VISA would cover that, and that's what you are buying insurance against.
Feb 14, 2008
152 posts
10 upvotes
Calgary
Orion168 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2009 3:58 pm
But what if the item arrived damaged (breakage)? Say it's an expensive item that costed more than $100? Also say that you already accepted the package, so UPS can't return it.

I don't think VISA would cover that, and that's what you are buying insurance against.
VISA does cover that. From the Visa Chargeback FAQ Lulz previously cited:
http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/ ... chants.pdf

From page 116:
Nov 24, 2005
355 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks. Good to know if we pay with VISA. You should link the VISA Canada Merchant Rules if possible. I can't find it.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
Orion168 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2009 4:57 pm
Thanks. Good to know if we pay with VISA. You should link the VISA Canada Merchant Rules if possible. I can't find it.
It was linked by me...page before this when me and disordered tried to prove that fool nornet.
And it's not only for Visa.
MasterCard has pretty much identical policies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
5459 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
Very useful stuff.
Core i5 6500 SL|GB Z170-UD3|2x8Gb DDR4-3000|eVGA GF GTX 1070 8GB SC|eVGA SN750 P2|Antec P183|LG WH14NS40|Intel 730 480GB SSD|WD 256GB SSD|Hitachi 500GB|SG 500GB|SS 1TB|SoundBlaster Z|Logitech Z-5500|Dell 3007WFP-HC|Logitech G500|Logitech G510
Mar 16, 2006
246 posts
11 upvotes
There's some good info in this thread, but there is also some misinformation.

While Visa/MC will allow you to do a chargeback for merchandise received defective or damaged, NCIX would still have the right to re-invoice you for the (damaged) items you received under their terms of sale. If you don't opt for the extra insurance coverage, they are not liable for any damage over the included basic insured amount. This will hold up in a court of law, and if they wanted to, they could take you to small claims court and win. However, they probably wouldn't go to that length for a small amount, but there is nothing stopping them from sending you to collections and ruining your credit rating.

The above applies assuming you signed for and received the package and then found the contents to be damaged. If there is no signature/delivery, then Visa/MC will allow you to chargeback, and NCIX would have no recourse.
Feb 24, 2013
2 posts
disordered wrote:
Apr 17th, 2009 2:57 pm
Wrong if you've paid by credit card.

NCIX needs proof that it got to got delivered to you if you paid by credit card. Until you sign for it (thus giving NCIX proof you received it), NCIX is 100% responsible for the package. If the package gets lost, you can file a chargeback with your credit card company and get all your money back.

Now, granted, businesses don't like getting charge backs (they get charged fees in addition to not getting the money) so they may blacklist your address for any future deliveries... but really, it should not be the consumer's responsibility to buy insurance, it's part of the cost of doing business for the company.
What if I use paypal account to buy stuff from NCIX? Am I still eligible to file a chargeback if I do not receive the shipment or recieved damaged shipment?
Feb 24, 2013
2 posts
dmxlite wrote:
Feb 25th, 2013 11:44 pm
Holy thread revival.
You should be covered by Paypal's buyer protection, and if you pay with a credit card through PP, you can attempt a chargeback.
Haha, it indeed has been a long time since the last comment was posted, but I was getting worried about losing my shipment!
Thanks for the information and just one more question, does every paypal come with buyer's insurance?
I personally don't have paypal nor credit card, so I have no other way to pay online except using my dad's paypal.
× < >