Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
NCIX

NCIX: Yuletide Sale (Dec 5 - Dec 12)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2012 8:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
adamtheman wrote: This is where I disagree. ME has 1 store in Vancouver, while NCIX has 7 or 8 stores in the Vancouver area. That adds a lot of overhead to NCIX. The majority of BC's population is within driving distance to ME's store. I don't see why NCIX needs a store in Richmond, Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, etc. They are going about it the wrong way. The future is online shipping, with maybe 1 retail store here and there. Just take a look at Newegg.com... it is the largest computer retailer in the US and has no physical stores at all. They aren't needed.
One of the things I find appealing with NCIX is that you can do free pick up in stores, and if they have enough stores it's convenient enough to do so, and it's cheaper than paying to get it shipped, and may be faster too.

If the store is inconvenient, you'd either have to pay for shipping, or make a trek to go pick it up.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
******** wrote: ***********
The thing you're forgetting is that RFD is built based on the motive that "sharing is caring". Otherwise, why in the world would I waste my time to post deals?

I demand everyone who buys something because of a deal I posted pay me $1. That's pretty much what you sound like right now. It's like saying RFD will now charge users per every thread they click on, and people who post threads get a part of that money. Do you prefer we move onto a model like that? RFD isn't based on that model, so you can understand why people are a bit disappointed at your demand. If everyone thought with that mindset, there would be no deals posted on this site. Price error? I'll keep it to myself so to increase my chances of it being honoured. Why not? It's not like there's an incentive for me to post it, right?

Take a look at the group buys organized through the site. None of the GB organizers charge any fees, despite how much work it is to organize one. People still donate to them out of free will, whether it be a tip, or a free coffee. Why not? We're Canadians, we do nice things to each other without incentives.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
11234 posts
3800 upvotes
Richmond Hill
no hot deal here, only hot topic
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1401 posts
665 upvotes
Toronto
Lol have gone thru you guys posts, I learned here some lessons

1. RFD is providing free service, but this is a Win-Win one.
2. NCIXreward.info is not a Win-Win. So Mr. Stanmancan wanted some contribution but he ended up with wrongful communication.
3. Points are free, yes they are free. But many Redflagdealers were so sensitive, so protective... and cheap.
4. If anyone try to make benefit out of RFDers, plz think twice cuz you already know who we are.
Oct 11, 2010
754 posts
81 upvotes
xxgunnerxx wrote: Any comments on the 199 256GB Samsung SSD? I lost out on the 128GB for 90$ a while back and I'm now thinking of getting the 256...
$150 is new go too price for 256GB SSDs - $20 less for budget brands and $20 more for premium (samsung, intel, crucial) brands.

That said I haven't seen the 830 at less than $180 since summer. And since they aren't making it anymore...

edit: it was @ $178 at DC in October.
Oct 11, 2010
754 posts
81 upvotes
Hopefully Stanley will use some of these "reward points" to take a course in customer service. Or maybe Asharp will give him a free lesson.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2010
1140 posts
695 upvotes
stanmancan wrote: To top it all off, you guys think you have this huge following of people who feel the same way as you. Yes, there are a small handful of you who think the world owes you something. But there are over 650 people who have tipped so far, many many of them over the requested 50 points, and that number keeps growing. This is a clear point that unhappy customers are 100 times louder than happy customers. The happy people just smile, tip, and move on. You other folk try to start some sort of riot, complain, call it a scam, call me a scumbag, say it's extortion. Class acts you handful are!
stanmancan wrote: I sound entitled because I am, I made the tool.
I'm conflicted here. I have absolutely no problem donating points to ASharp. In fact, if the e-mail had come out as "Hey, guys just so you know, ASharp is doing some work here for your benefit..." I would have donated more than the noted 50 without thinking about it.

That said, now I'm not sure I want to simply because I don't want to support Stan in any way. These posts go against everything I have come to enjoy about this forum.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
their is real work being done by asharp, and I think people should contribute something to him, end of story. 50 points isnt much either, so for those using the service, you should definitely contribute. It is asharps time that is being spent and Im sure hed be happier if he knew there was some contribution. Still, i think that you should ask people to donate out of their own free will. Im sure that some will donate very little or nothing, but others out there will donate a much larger amount than 50 points, so it will balane out imo.
Jun 11, 2010
343 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
blaznazn22 wrote: how is the deal on the 2tb for $89.99?
I believe there were similar prices on a 3TB Seagate on Black Friday. If you don't need the storage ASAP, wait.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1992 posts
461 upvotes
<quote>One of the things I find appealing with NCIX is that you can do free pick up in stores, and if they have enough stores it's convenient enough to do so, and it's cheaper than paying to get it shipped, and may be faster too.

If the store is inconvenient, you'd either have to pay for shipping, or make a trek to go pick it up.</quote>

Exactly! Why would I want to ship when I can simply pick up on my lunch break AND save money on shipping? The "accessible" ME store in Richmond - which is by the way THE LEAST CENTRAL and convenient place in Lower mainland - is a solid one hour ride on Skytrain (not bus, skytrain, as in fast transit) from the actual centre of the region.

People are also quick to forget the Black Friday sale where NCIX blew ME out of the water. Without their price match, ME would be just another store as their sales are very few, selection is much smaller, their website doesn't hold up to traffic and their stock levels are generally low. Oh and the pre-price match prices are not that great. Just go around their store and take a look at prices instead of just going straight to service counter to PM. I shop at ME when appropriate but I would prefer NCIX stays in business and at the top of the pack. Unless ME steps up their game by actually offering real sales instead of just PM, increase their selection and stock levels, they do not deserve to be put ahead of NCIX in any list.

Thanked.
Jun 11, 2010
343 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
aos007 wrote: Exactly! Why would I want to ship when I can simply pick up on my lunch break AND save money on shipping? The "accessible" ME store in Richmond - which is by the way THE LEAST CENTRAL and convenient place in Lower mainland - is a solid one hour ride on Skytrain (not bus, skytrain, as in fast transit) from the actual centre of the region.

People are also quick to forget the Black Friday sale where NCIX blew ME out of the water. Without their price match, ME would be just another store as their sales are very few, selection is much smaller, their website doesn't hold up to traffic and their stock levels are generally low. Oh and the pre-price match prices are not that great. Just go around their store and take a look at prices instead of just going straight to service counter to PM. I shop at ME when appropriate but I would prefer NCIX stays in business and at the top of the pack. Unless ME steps up their game by actually offering real sales instead of just PM, increase their selection and stock levels, they do not deserve to be put ahead of NCIX in any list.

Thanked.
Arguably, from our standpoint, they don't need to have sales since the sales of other stores become our opportunity to price match. We would rather that they keep prices high to take advantage of this. I have nothing to say about location, though, as there are no ME stores in Ontario.

I find it strange how ME doesn't have good sales. Because of their price match, they BEAT competitor prices by 25% of the difference in price. If they just had some sales in the first place, that difference would either be smaller or not exist, saving them money. My best guess would be that not enough people actually take advantage of the price match for them to bother with attempting to save that fraction of the 25%.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
Rustycage wrote: I'm conflicted here. I have absolutely no problem donating points to ASharp. In fact, if the e-mail had come out as "Hey, guys just so you know, ASharp is doing some work here for your benefit..." I would have donated more than the noted 50 without thinking about it.

That said, now I'm not sure I want to simply because I don't want to support Stan in any way. These posts go against everything I have come to enjoy about this forum.
I was more than ready to donate until I read the last line
Jun 11, 2010
343 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
edecho16 wrote: Hi I've always seen these color labels on WD hard disks, can you please explain this to me? :(
Greens are supposed to be power saving and relatively slow read/write speeds (I think).
Blacks have higher spin/read/write speeds.
Reds are optimized for NAS. Last I read up on them (a while back), there was some debate if they were really any better than Greens besides the increased warranty.
Blues are the average, consumer grade disks. Not sure if they are faster than or comparable to Greens.
Dec 5, 2012
66 posts
9 upvotes
North York
Thanks guys! Very helpful! Will start looking now :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)