Expired Hot Deals

NCL's cruise with no single suppliment starts at $622CAD includes tax and port charges

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 7:39 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1021 posts
675 upvotes
GTA West
grayhal wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 7:45 pm
Never been on a cruise so I a have few questions. What do you mean excluding flights? So cruise take you one way and you fly back yourself? So do some cruise ship companies/deals provide flight as well sometimes?

Do people fly somewhere and come back to their city in the cruise? Is that more popular compared to flying back home later?

In general cruise prices DO NOT include airfares. Many cruises start and end in the same port. Other cruises make a one-way trip so that you have to fly into one city and then come back from another. These may be a bit cheaper but you have to consider that flights that don't leave from and return to the same city are more expensive.

However, some cruise lines MAY offer promotional airfares that they arrange with the airlines. In other cases, like for some expensive overseas cruises, they may even offer an all-in fare that includes a flight from certain cities. But in general, expect to look after your own flights unless there is a specific flight offer from the cruise line that looks good.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1889 posts
908 upvotes
GTA
lord wayne wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:52 pm
I was on a NCL cruise in March and I found out you can opt out of the mandatory tipping charges by filling out a form at guest services. Basically that form says you will tip in cash as you use the services and I was refunded my charges that i paid pre-cruise. I just left cash for the services I used ie. cabin boy, waiters, etc. I didn't feel it was right that I was tipping for services I never used like the wine steward.

Dont even tip. You already pay a service fee per day when ur on the cruise.

The tip when you pay for a drink is them double dipping.
Dec 2, 2006
270 posts
98 upvotes
Ottawa
Rothesay wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 7:27 am
Without the single supplement, if I were a couple going on these cruises, I will simply book 2 cabins as it would have cost the same as if we were staying in the same cabin. At minimum, I will have access to an extra bathroom.
Prices are based upon double occupancy - if only one person is in the room, they need to cover the charge for both. If you book two rooms, you need to pay the charges for four people - you don't get two rooms for the price of one.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1065 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
Build the tip into your overall cost of the trip. Don't be cheap.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1889 posts
908 upvotes
GTA
michiebaby wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:06 am
Build the tip into your overall cost of the trip. Don't be cheap.
Its not being cheap, if you are already paying for a service fee, why tip? A service fee is a tip. Thats like going into a restaurant, getting charged gratuities and then tipping after the meal.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1065 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
Akizuki wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:08 am
Its not being cheap, if you are already paying for a service fee, why tip? A service fee is a tip. Thats like going into a restaurant, getting charged gratuities and then tipping after the meal.
Nothing wrong with that. Is it against the law?
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14261 posts
3331 upvotes
The service fee listed above is $14.50 US a day. I don't think that's enough to cover all the goods and services you get. Heck, if you eat $100 worth of food and tip 15%, there's your whole service fee right there.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
[OP]
Oct 13, 2011
517 posts
299 upvotes
valve wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:46 am
Prices are based upon double occupancy - if only one person is in the room, they need to cover the charge for both. If you book two rooms, you need to pay the charges for four people - you don't get two rooms for the price of one.
That's the point about this sale, NCL is NOT charging for single supplements, therefore, if cruise fare is normally $400pp in a double occupancy cabin, a single person occupying that double occupancy cabin will only be charged $400 instead of what they charge normally at $800 for the cabin.

Therefore, if 2 people are going on the same cruise, with this sale, they can book 2 cabins and it will work out to the same price as if they were staying in the same cabin.

If you don't get it, try making a dummy booking and you will see what I'm talking about.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1889 posts
908 upvotes
GTA
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:18 am
The service fee listed above is $14.50 US a day. I don't think that's enough to cover all the goods and services you get. Heck, if you eat $100 worth of food and tip 15%, there's your whole service fee right there.
Feel free to tip them again then. Im just saying service fees are tips. If they didnt charge me a service fee, id tip, but since they already charge me, and its per day, I see no point in tipping them again. Im usually off the boat for excursions anyways and the tour guides, and driver will always get a tip from me.

$14.50 * 7 = $101.50 USD = $132.78 CAD. Thats the service fee you pay on a week on the boat.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4129 posts
478 upvotes
Scarborough
Note that this is an ongoing deal. They always have solo discounts, but it doesn't apply to all cruises. You have to filter it in the searches.
Oct 1, 2018
48 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
lord wayne wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:52 pm
I was on a NCL cruise in March and I found out you can opt out of the mandatory tipping charges by filling out a form at guest services. Basically that form says you will tip in cash as you use the services and I was refunded my charges that i paid pre-cruise. I just left cash for the services I used ie. cabin boy, waiters, etc. I didn't feel it was right that I was tipping for services I never used like the wine steward.
Did not know this was an option. Did you tip after every dinner/ every service or did you do it single shot at the end per service?

Do other cruise lines have this option?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1081 posts
659 upvotes
Calgary
cheapbum wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 4:52 pm
Did not know this was an option. Did you tip after every dinner/ every service or did you do it single shot at the end per service?

Do other cruise lines have this option?
I tipped after every dinner
Oct 31, 2003
809 posts
121 upvotes
Woodbridge
Akizuki wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 3:37 pm
Feel free to tip them again then. Im just saying service fees are tips. If they didnt charge me a service fee, id tip, but since they already charge me, and its per day, I see no point in tipping them again. Im usually off the boat for excursions anyways and the tour guides, and driver will always get a tip from me.

$14.50 * 7 = $101.50 USD = $132.78 CAD. Thats the service fee you pay on a week on the boat.
I tip all the time.

Do it earlier in the cruise with a bigger tip rather than later. The standouts are cabin stewards, the entire wait staff at dinner- Maitre d's, assistant maitre d's, waiters, assistant waiters, sommeliers, and of course the barkeeps. If there is a martini lounge, try them out, usually their drinks are FANTASTIC!

An extra $100 USD in tips goes a long long way considering most cruisers have attitudes like this.

Also if you have a package with prepaid gratuities, make sure you do the survey afterwards and give the department you think deserve the tips, five stars. Otherwise those tips get diverted "elsewhere" and the staff within that department do not get any. From what I heard from the staff, some money goes into the bank account with zero transparency where that money comes from- ie prepaid gratuities, bonuses??

For me, they all get five stars; its really shitty work dealing with entitled people.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1021 posts
675 upvotes
GTA West
CLOSER wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 10:10 am
I tip all the time.

Do it earlier in the cruise with a bigger tip rather than later. The standouts are cabin stewards, the entire wait staff at dinner- Maitre d's, assistant maitre d's, waiters, assistant waiters, sommeliers, and of course the barkeeps. If there is a martini lounge, try them out, usually their drinks are FANTASTIC!

An extra $100 USD in tips goes a long long way considering most cruisers have attitudes like this.

Also if you have a package with prepaid gratuities, make sure you do the survey afterwards and give the department you think deserve the tips, five stars. Otherwise those tips get diverted "elsewhere" and the staff within that department do not get any. From what I heard from the staff, some money goes into the bank account with zero transparency where that money comes from- ie prepaid gratuities, bonuses??

For me, they all get five stars; its really shitty work dealing with entitled people.

I don't like that approach at all - the idea of keeping a wad of cash and doling it out like this. To all the people on board and the excursions, all to eke out a little better service than the next guy gets, or to ingratiate yourself more. I'm happy to pay a per diem service charge but I can't be bothered to calibrate my largesse this way.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Oct 19th, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3441 posts
679 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 3:45 pm
This is one of the reasons we have never cruised - the idea of keeping a wad of cash and doling it out like this. To all the people on board and the excursions, all to eke out a little better service than the next guy gets, or to ingratiate yourself more. I'm happy to pay a per diem service charge but I can't be bothered to calibrate my largesse this way.
Your prepaid gratuities cover all that. You don't have go "carry a wad of cash" for that AT ALL. That's a bad reason to not enjoy a cruise.
I've only ever gave an extra $ 30.00 for the entire week for the room cleaner who did a great job. Nobody else on the ship got extras. You don't even have to do that for the room cleaner if you don't want to. The only guys who I feel don't deserve the tip is the guy at the port . He basically grabs your luggage from the car, puts it in a cage where it's delivered to your room
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.