Off Topic

NDP Pushes Reforms To Canada's Jury Selection Process, NDP leader says ‘justice was not served’ in Stanley verdict

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2018 8:32 pm
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
silky28 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:20 pm
Justice for whom? For the deceased? He was not on trial so the ethnicity of the jurors is irrelevant. Again, the justice system provides a fair trial for the defendant not the victim.
Yes. This is a great example of a twisted and unbalanced thought process.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19111 posts
2109 upvotes
Montreal
silky28 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:40 pm
What does 1950s Alabama have to do with this? Surely the issue there was black defendants being judged by white people who held deeply racist views. This was the complete opposite of that...this was a white man being judged by white people. What you would want ie. Jury of natives judging a white man, that would be like 1950s alabama.
I don't have a horse in this race, but good lord could you get it more ass backwards? In this case an acquittal was the desired the result. In the case of Alabama, a conviction was the desired result.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
3872 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:54 pm
I don't have a horse in this race, but good lord could you get it more ass backwards? In this case an acquittal was the desired the result. In the case of Alabama, a conviction was the desired result.
Kevin suggested that having an all white jury for this trial was akin to a 1950s Alabama trial of a black man with a racist white jury which would be unfair. All I pointed out was that in this trial it was a white defendant being judged by a white jury so the link with 1950s Alabama is moronic. I then said that it would be more like a 1950s racist Alabama case if the white man was tried by an all native jury, especially considering the racial tones that this case developed from the moment of the gunshot.

I'm not quite sure what you are on about with 'desired result...for whom, exactly. But that is irrelevant because the issue here is that the victim is not promised a fair trial only the defendant. It would be, therefore, unfair for the defendant to have to face a native jury just as it was for blacks to face an all white racist jury in 1950s Alabama.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
3872 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:41 pm
Yes. This is a great example of a twisted and unbalanced thought process.
Explain
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2567 posts
28 upvotes
peremptory challenges are as old as the jury process itself. they're not a new invention to create a racist jury. they're a tool to ensure that both prosecution and defense can assemble a jury in their favour. By giving both equal challenges and pitting them against each other, it is hoped that their biases will ultimately arrive at a jury that is less biased than one that simply represented the population make up or other manners that we have. If we got rid of peremptory challenges, we're basically asking for a lot more cases like OJ Simpsons case to repeat. Both prosecution and defense lawyers have voiced concerns with peremptory challenges but if you ask either one if we should just do away with it entirely, most lawyers will answer no.
it's not who you are, it's what you do.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
31628 posts
8035 upvotes
GTHA
Jagmeet Singh says ‘justice was not served’ in Gerald Stanley verdict
NDP leader Jagmeet Singh told reporters in Ottawa Tuesday that in his opinion, “justice was not served” to the family of Colten Boushie following the not guilty verdict for Gerald Stanley.

Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1176 posts
552 upvotes
Moon
Justice was served. A gang member got a hole in the ground, a left wing show trial of a innocent man failed and the Boushie gang members are very butt hurt about it all. Music to my ears! I did my part to donate to the hero Gerald Stanley so farmers don't have to live in fear of gang violence.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1690 posts
76 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:30 pm
NDP leader Jagmeet Singh told reporters in Ottawa Tuesday that in his opinion, “justice was not served” to the family of Colten Boushie following the not guilty verdict for Gerald Stanley.

This from the man who refuses to condemn Talwinder Parmar or his supporters.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6924 posts
239 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:30 pm

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh decries Boushie verdict, weighs up position on jury challenges
As a former defence lawyer, Singh said he had used peremptory challenges in his past work.

“In my case, I wanted to ensure that the jury was more diverse so I challenged folks that were not … I wanted to have more diversity on the jury,” said Singh.

“I wanted to have more people of colour and more people of diverse backgrounds, so I would have challenged someone who wasn’t diverse,” he said.
Defence lawyer who does the exact same damn thing virtue signals for political gain. Singh used challenges to make sure the ethnicity of the jury reflected what he wanted. It's racist and an injustice when Stanley's lawyer allegedly did it but when Singh does it it's about diversity. The correct answer when asked if you used peremptory challenges is "no", if it's anything other than "no" then you're admitting to being racist yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6924 posts
239 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 6:08 pm
Race neutral means one race is not dominating the jury. All white jury is not diverse in this case, it doesnt matter if they come from Ireland, Russia, Germany.
Wait, that's not "fair" to "white" people. Shouldn't a jury reflect society where the majority (>65%) are "white"? What you're suggesting would lead to an underrepresentation of "white" people in the jury system. Underrepresentation is being argued as the problem in this situation is it not?

Your position would be similar to someone saying that vietnamese, chinese, japanese, indian, etc are all asian. Disappointing to hear that you only see diversity in skin colour and notice that I never said the ethnicity of the people but you assumed they'd all be white and not diverse. I think everyone can see what that says about you...

kevindurant1 wrote:
For every white juror, there should have been an aboriginal there. Specially in a case like this where its race driven.
Then "white" jurors would be underrepresented.

kevindurant1 wrote:
Either way, this is done. I hope this case force the government to come up with a legislation so we can prevent this in the future because this is pretty disturbing.
The charter prevents the government from creating legislation that would deny Mr. Stanley a fair trial. I thought you were a fan of the charter?

You didn't answer an important question so I'll ask it again...What do you view as the point of the justice system in Canada, is it for retribution or for rehabilitation?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3014 posts
674 upvotes
Miami
How is something like peremptory challenges not inherently unlawful?
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19111 posts
2109 upvotes
Montreal
Bskll wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:15 pm
peremptory challenges are as old as the jury process itself. they're not a new invention to create a racist jury. they're a tool to ensure that both prosecution and defense can assemble a jury in their favour. By giving both equal challenges and pitting them against each other, it is hoped that their biases will ultimately arrive at a jury that is less biased than one that simply represented the population make up or other manners that we have. If we got rid of peremptory challenges, we're basically asking for a lot more cases like OJ Simpsons case to repeat. Both prosecution and defense lawyers have voiced concerns with peremptory challenges but if you ask either one if we should just do away with it entirely, most lawyers will answer no.
If both sides get the same number of challenges, eventually one side will run out of native or black jurors that can be presented. The other side will ostensibly never run out of white jurors. Maybe they need cut down the number of challenges. 14 is too much.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
31628 posts
8035 upvotes
GTHA
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh slammed the Colten Boushie verdict during the party’s national convention Saturday but said meeting Boushie’s family and the way they have fought for justice inspired him.