Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

NE: Synology DS411 4-bay NAS Server $409+Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2012 11:47 am
30 replies
Dec 14, 2003
641 posts
108 upvotes
Ouch... still 209$ more than my Javelin. I see it has more apps and stuff so I guess if you need those it's worth the price.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Unfortunately this NAS only uses 2,5". You can't install desktop size HDD's
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2909 posts
396 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Unfortunately this NAS only uses 2,5". You can't install desktop size HDD's

Exactly.

I was looking at a variety of Synology NAS systems on Amazon a while ago and wondered why this one was cheaper than the rest. Then I realized it only takes 2.5" drives.

Kind of a neat idea if you want a low power system, but not good for performance at all and it will cost more to equip it with hard drives.
Apr 18, 2005
274 posts
23 upvotes
Surrey
Messerschmitt wrote: Unfortunately this NAS only uses 2,5". You can't install desktop size HDD's
komal wrote: Exactly.

I was looking at a variety of Synology NAS systems on Amazon a while ago and wondered why this one was cheaper than the rest. Then I realized it only takes 2.5" drives.

Kind of a neat idea if you want a low power system, but not good for performance at all and it will cost more to equip it with hard drives.

Are you sure you're not referring to the DS411-Slim which is the one that only takes 2.5" drives? This one the OP linked to is the regular DS411 and I believe it takes regular 3.5" drives.

http://www.synology.com/products/spec.p ... #p_submenu
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2007
1272 posts
1017 upvotes
chienpourri wrote: Ouch... still 209$ more than my Javelin. I see it has more apps and stuff so I guess if you need those it's worth the price.
Anything other than a QNAP or a Synology NAS and you are looking at a disaster waiting to happen. The extra price is in the reliability and added features.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have a DS211+ and can vouch that these NAS are great.
Sep 12, 2006
295 posts
30 upvotes

You got me worried there for a moment. It takes both 3.5 and 2.5 drives. 4TB x 4 = 16TB total. With raid-5 12TB of capacity.
Mar 29, 2006
591 posts
Sweet deal!

I recently bought a DS212j with 2 x 2tb drives in raid 1 and its been running very smooth from the get go. From my short time use so far, I would highly recommend a Synology.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
chienpourri wrote: Ouch... still 209$ more than my Javelin. I see it has more apps and stuff so I guess if you need those it's worth the price.

Synology is very reliable and high performance. It's a mid-range consumer NAS ... definitely higher end than the Javelin.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1637 posts
270 upvotes
Have a DS211j. If I were to do it again, I would consider 4 bay for more Raid option and probably one with faster processor & more RAM. +1 for Synology.
Apr 24, 2004
314 posts
49 upvotes
I love my Synology DS211, it's been rock solid for me. I agree with above, I would probably go with a 4bay next time.

Feature wise, the diskstation is amazing, I have mine setup with Sabnzb, Sickbeard, and Couchpotato... no need to have a computer anymore doing any downloading, right onto the NAS from newsgroups, and streamed to my boxee box, it's awesome.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1584 posts
378 upvotes
Montreal
How would you guys compare it vs the QNAP 412?

Been eyeballing the 412 for a while...
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1637 posts
270 upvotes
HoTiCE_ wrote: How would you guys compare it vs the QNAP 412?

Been eyeballing the 412 for a while...

QNAP and Synology lineups are pretty similar. Heaps of debates going on between the two brands. Me, I chose the one with the most substantial discount at the time. And I am happy with mine so far. It has run for almost 16 months, with the only downtime being firmware upgrade.
Dec 10, 2006
999 posts
492 upvotes
Mississauga
Been looking for a good price on a 4-bay NAS past couple months and this seems to be a good price!
Is it true that the drive speed doesn't matter in a NAS? So I could just fill it up with say, WD Green drives??
Apr 18, 2005
274 posts
23 upvotes
Surrey
|Naruto| wrote: Been looking for a good price on a 4-bay NAS past couple months and this seems to be a good price!
Is it true that the drive speed doesn't matter in a NAS? So I could just fill it up with say, WD Green drives??

Yes that's true, and in fact I believe most people use the green drives in the NAS due to lower power consumption and cooler temperatures. Usually the bottle neck is the network controller and/or CPU on the NAS, not the drives. Of course there are exception cases and I'm sure someone is going to post some link where someone threw some SSD's in there and got some quicker access times and some benchmarks may be a bit better. But in general green drives should suffice.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1637 posts
270 upvotes
|Naruto| wrote: Been looking for a good price on a 4-bay NAS past couple months and this seems to be a good price!

I am using the WD green drives I had on hand at the time. The more expensive but more highly regarded Samsung would have been more "ideal" but HDs are expensive at the moment and the Green drives work fine. But I am also not running a mission critical NAS. I think what is more critial is the network speed.

I run Sabnzbd, media server and privoxy. And have the intention to run Asterix on one of these. At times I could feel that I was stretching the processor/maxing the RAM. But all in all, these are simple and efficient, and mine hasn't crash once yet!
Nov 19, 2006
14 posts
1 upvote

Speed is dependent upon many parts of the NAS system, including the NAS itself (Processor), the drives, the NAS connection (Gigabyte ethernet (best), 10/100, or wireless) to the network, and the connection to the other computer. Any one can be a bottleneck. As for the HDs, just make sure that the hard drives are compatible with the NAS before buying them. Sometimes HDs cause issues with specific brands/models. I know at one time (approx 1-2 yrs ago) the WD green drives gave many people grief with their Synology NASs. I'm not sure if the problem was solved, but best to check the manufacturer web site/forums for info before purchase.