Personal Finance

Nearly half of Canadian households have lost work due to the COVID-19 shutdown, new poll finds

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2020 10:02 am
38 replies
[OP]
Dec 28, 2019
791 posts
512 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: Is National Post receiving money from the government bail out ? Can you really trust any news from organisations receiving money from the government ?
It is from the Angus Reid institute.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4094 posts
752 upvotes
Sgtalpowell wrote: It is from the Angus Reid institute.
I don`t need Angus Reid Institute to tell me how to interpreted the news .
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2243 posts
1796 upvotes
Montreal
Sgtalpowell wrote: If it were true, this country would be finished...
So much exaggeration!
"Forty-four per cent of Canadians say that someone in their household has been laid off or lost hours because of the economic shutdown caused by the pandemic; 18 per cent said they are anticipating lost hours or layoffs."

What do you find unbelievable? In Quebec and Ontario all but essential services are shut down. Restaurants, shopping centers, Ikea, aluminum smelters, car plants, all shut down.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3429 posts
926 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
pfbmgd wrote: I don`t need Angus Reid Institute to tell me how to interpreted the news .
interesting that you chose the ` as the apostrophe instead of the ' key.
Hi
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3429 posts
926 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
how many of these people will get their jobs back when we flatten the curb? i think a lot of them will return to work, slowly but this isn't permanent, its temporary I hope you realize
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1346 posts
1295 upvotes
GTA
FrancisBacon wrote: "Forty-four per cent of Canadians say that someone in their household has been laid off or lost hours because of the economic shutdown caused by the pandemic; 18 per cent said they are anticipating lost hours or layoffs."
If there are 4 people in a house, 1 is laid off, and the pollster asks all 4 if they know someone is laid off - of course they will all say yes. The pollster will then go on to report this as "100% of Canadians say that someone in their household has been laid off".

You always have to be cynical when reading the news. Unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1750 posts
801 upvotes
georgecantstandya wrote: If there are 4 people in a house, 1 is laid off, and the pollster asks all 4 if they know someone is laid off - of course they will all say yes. The pollster will then go on to report this as "100% of Canadians say that someone in their household has been laid off".

You always have to be cynical when reading the news. Unfortunately.
Given the relatively small size of household, assuming people are interpreting the question of "household" correctly, the ~40% number does show COVID-19 to be quite impactful. Losing hours or losing one income in a two person household is significant. Multi-generation households with 3 or more earners is still relatively rare in Canada.

Note that this survey includes households with no workers, such as retirees and welfare bums. That means the majority of productive households (defined as having someone who are employed or self employed) are impacted.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6320 posts
2590 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: Is National Post receiving money from the government bail out ? Can you really trust any news from organisations receiving money from the government ?
So smart, thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6320 posts
2590 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: I don`t need Angus Reid Institute to tell me how to interpreted the news .
Also smart.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6320 posts
2590 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: how many of these people will get their jobs back when we flatten the curb? i think a lot of them will return to work, slowly but this isn't permanent, its temporary I hope you realize
Some countries are already over this thing and others are already planning their return plan. We need to be careful not to get lulled into not wanting to work because the "free" money rewards us accordingly. The "free" money should be treated by politicians and recipients as only a "band aid" with the full intention and plan of getting back to normalcy as quickly as possible. Canada is going to have some tough challenges ahead in terms of the economic challenges we had before this virus thing popped up and we don't want to be nonproductive for longer than is absolutely necessary. We all have bills to pay and this massive payout is going to add more tax bills to the working class that can barely stay above water as it is.
Jan 12, 2017
735 posts
316 upvotes
Assuming that government workers are the only ones with either paid leave (CRA) or unlimited sick time, the 45% actually sounds about right.

Due to the daycare shutdown, everyone who has kids is definitely impacted unless they are a teacher/government worker.

The majority of private sector workers are likely impacted, whether it's an outright closure or reduced workload/hours.
Sgtalpowell wrote: https://nationalpost.com/news/nearly-ha ... poll-finds

If it were true, this country would be finished...

So much exaggeration!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1799 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
If this is the case, we would have heard laid off news from big corporations, for example big banks/financial, resource, industrial companies etc.. So far air canada is the only one which has announced a temporary laid off of 5000 employees, out of 30,000.

The better gauge imo are the unemployment rate and number of people apply for EIs.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1598 posts
362 upvotes
Montreal
FrancisBacon wrote: "Forty-four per cent of Canadians say that someone in their household has been laid off or lost hours because of the economic shutdown caused by the pandemic; 18 per cent said they are anticipating lost hours or layoffs."

What do you find unbelievable? In Quebec and Ontario all but essential services are shut down. Restaurants, shopping centers, Ikea, aluminum smelters, car plants, all shut down.
Restaurants in Quebec are open, but just for take out and delivery.