Need advice buying sofa

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 2:03 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2004
234 posts
55 upvotes

Need advice buying sofa

Looking for any advice on where and how to buy a sofa, particularly leather because of the wide price range and variety. We're also considering fabric. We're looking for something with a more modern look. Preferably a chaise sectional. I like some of the Ekornes Stressless stuff, but to get enough seating, it would be out of our price range.

We've looked at various places like Decorium, Martin Daniel, Palazzetti (expensive!). For some reason, I have an impression (maybe unjustly) that stuff at The Brick is affordable, but with questionable quality. However, I dropped by anyways and found they had a good variety and good prices on stuff labelled as genuine leather. Also, some were made in Canada.

It's leather that is always most difficult for me. Even if I look for genuine leather (not bonded), there's still the question of quality/grade, type and whether it is all surfaces. Then there is the inability to tell the difference. I'm really going on the word of the salesperson. In the past, I just went with that. If they say it is genuine leather and the look and price is what I want, I just bought it and didn't overthink it.
18 replies
Jan 15, 2017
593 posts
395 upvotes
Suggest that you go to some of the more expensive stores and learn what makes a high quality couch first. Look at the different construction methods so you can decide what it is exactly that you want to look for in your budget. Same thing with cover - if you want leather, check out samples at some higher end stores so you know the different products, thickness, how it is tanned, and generally what you need to look for.

One way to look for 100% Genuine Leather is to look for seams. Across the back and the sides you should generally see lots of seems as a leather hide will never be big enough to cover that area and as most people don't look at the backs of their couches, larger pieces of hides are used for the cushions and front of the couch with smaller pieces seemed together for the backs and sides. Compare the samples for color, thickness and durability (try scratching it and bending it to see how it wrinkles). A thicker leather will cost you more than a thin leather.

We have a new couch being delivered tomorrow. It's a Superstyle couch from its Vogue Collection, which is its "luxury" line. Really liked the down and feather wrapped seat cushions and backs, hardwood frames and sinuous springs. Sinuous springs are not as high quality as eight way hand tied springs, but I didn't pay a hand tied price either.
Jan 23, 2017
21 posts
6 upvotes
I was reading last week about the different types of leather and it seems in order of worst to best is bonded, genuine, top grain and full grain. So if you are looking for something long term, look for the latter 2. Check out Chesterfield Shoppe - their sofas are made by Palliser in Winnipeg and you can choose the leather and colour you want at a reasonable price for what you get. We have bought from them twice (one reclining loveseat and one sectional with chaise) and were very happy with our purchases. Other place to check out is Rawhide who do custom but heard they can be more pricey. I'd avoid the Brick/Leon's/Bad Boy as I find them too shadey for my liking.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
My first purchase was bonded leather from The Brick, it fell apart in a few years. Cost was $2500 for a sectional.

I have a full grain leather sofa and love seat combo now, I paid $7500 for it and it’s still looks great after 7 years.
Oct 16, 2007
980 posts
238 upvotes
These stores often have samples for all their leathers. You can feel the differences in thickness and textures. I would recommend Palliser. Made in Canada, and it is pretty good quality. If you are in the GTA, Parks had the best pricing for them.
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
I have a Roche Bobois leather couch. It's 20 years old and it is in like new condition. It has 3mm thick dyed but untreated leather. RB is a different level of pricing (and maybe quality) for furniture. At the time, it was the price of a small car. However, I bought it because after four months of searching it was the best couch I could find. It wasn't traditional (with jelly roll arms) or too modern (90 degree angles) and didn't own a car so bought the couch instead! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I found out about RB through my friend's parents. They had this amazing sectional that was amazing and was 30 years old and in amazing condition.

If you don't mind having one couch for possibly for the rest of your life and can handle the price, I would recommend RB.

If you plan on keeping a couch for a very long time, I wound't recommend fabric because it will wear through at some point. I have another friend with a 20 year old RB fabric couch and it is starting to wear through.
Mar 27, 2015
730 posts
171 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Check out the Natuzzi line. Its genuine leather and sort of upper mid-range and from what I can see the quality is good. I think they are made in Italy. The Bay carries it.
Aug 10, 2017
35 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
Are you in the GTA area?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5699 posts
275 upvotes
BC
Have been looking around here for the past 2 months for some decent furniture, prices are insane for anything nice. I also have had my eye on a couple of sets on the Costco.ca site, and finally took the plunge. I did not want leather due to having a cat, but went with a very modern fabric set, altho the leather sets are nice, and every week there are different ones on sale.

For the price of crappy furniture here I am getting nice feather wrapped high density foam cushions, and white glove delivery.. they call to set up a day/time, they bring it in, assemble if needed and take all packaging with them. If I dont like it, I call them and arrange them to pick it up.

Cant wait for it to get here!!

As for the post about fabric not lasting long, I think it depends on the fabric... our last set was fabric, had it close to 12 years and the fabric was in the same condition new when I sold it. Too big for my space or I'd of kept it.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Nov 22, 2004
234 posts
55 upvotes
Yes, GTA area.

RB pricing is too high end. There's just so many other things that money could go to. I guess one could argue the other side of this: you could easily get the money for a high end sofa by buying a different car or many times that by choosing a different house. I guess it's just different priorities for different people.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
puckhead wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:16 am
Yes, GTA area.

RB pricing is too high end. There's just so many other things that money could go to. I guess one could argue the other side of this: you could easily get the money for a high end sofa by buying a different car or many times that by choosing a different house. I guess it's just different priorities for different people.
Agreed about the pricing. In the time I've owned the couch, I've gone through three houses and three cars! However, it is the only couch that I will likely buy in my lifetime. It does come down priorities.
Jul 19, 2009
117 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
After searching for all the stores listed, I finally bought it from LAZ boy. I heard a lot of reviews about they do not have the same quality anymore but they are somewhere between not too expensive as RB or chesterfield and not too shabby quality as Bricks or others.

An important question - where do you need the couch for? For my Family room, I wanted fabric so it can be comfortable and cozy the thought of cold leather in winter (which is 7-8 months for us here in Toronto) cringed me.

Fabric feels good with the disadvantage of getting dirty but for that I took their extended warranty.
I researched and then picked their 3 x 3 couch which had very low profile (meaning no big rolled arms), lesser width and high back. Plus it is a recliner which nobody could figure out when they first see it. According to science and studies, a Slouchy Sofa can cause many problems including indigestion.
http://centerforspineandortho.com/news/ ... back-pain/

Hope this helps!
Oct 16, 2008
487 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:18 pm
Check out the Natuzzi line. Its genuine leather and sort of upper mid-range and from what I can see the quality is good. I think they are made in Italy. The Bay carries it.
Regarding the Natuzzi being sold at Bay stores is Natuzzi editions and its made in China and quality may not be similar to higher Natuzzi lines. However I have no personal experience with the editions line.