Students

Need Advice: Double Major or Honours Major/Minor?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2016 10:36 am
Tags:
None
Apr 8, 2014
57 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Need Advice: Double Major or Honours Major/Minor?

Howdy guys,

My current major is Honours BA of English. And I am thinking about doing a double major or an Honours Major/Minor because I have many course I can pick outside my major. Here are my options that I am considering:

-Double Major in English and linguistics
-Double Major in English and history
-Major in English and minor in French
-Major in English and minor in music

I have no clue what are the benefits of each one. I would appreciate if anyone can give me advice on this (take course load, career opportunity and further education (master's and PhD) into account please). It would be so much the better if you can explain what I will end up with each option (like if I take double major in English and linguistics I might be expert in critical thinking and language structures so I might end up being a teacher). I might be working out of Ontario or even out of Canada and I can speak Cantonese, English and Mandarin (in case that is a piece of useful information).

Thank you so much.
6 replies
Apr 22, 2013
465 posts
64 upvotes
French will get you far but if you like linguistics then do that.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2740 posts
318 upvotes
JamesTsim wrote: Howdy guys,

My current major is Honours BA of English. And I am thinking about doing a double major or an Honours Major/Minor because I have many course I can pick outside my major. Here are my options that I am considering:

-Double Major in English and linguistics
-Double Major in English and history
-Major in English and minor in French
-Major in English and minor in music

I have no clue what are the benefits of each one. I would appreciate if anyone can give me advice on this (take course load, career opportunity and further education (master's and PhD) into account please). It would be so much the better if you can explain what I will end up with each option (like if I take double major in English and linguistics I might be expert in critical thinking and language structures so I might end up being a teacher). I might be working out of Ontario or even out of Canada and I can speak Cantonese, English and Mandarin (in case that is a piece of useful information).

Thank you so much.
Major in English and minor in French is very useful. Do you think it will be difficult for you to find a job once you've graduated from these two streams?
BlackJays wrote: shame has been acheived
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
navyseals wrote: Major in English and minor in French is very useful. Do you think it will be difficult for you to find a job once you've graduated from these two streams?
He's doing a masters afterwards.
Apr 8, 2014
57 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
imflying12 wrote: He's doing a masters afterwards.
I might or might not. It is still far because it is 4 years after. If I can get a decent job after I get a BA then I might consider doing master after I save some money. But I would do master right after undergrad if my family can afford it.
Apr 8, 2014
57 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
navyseals wrote: Major in English and minor in French is very useful. Do you think it will be difficult for you to find a job once you've graduated from these two streams?
Yes, having a degree in English and French is very useful in Canada. But I heard that linguistics is useful as well when it comes to teaching languages.
Sep 11, 2016
8 posts
It depends on what your career goals and interests are. But taking French is always an advantage. Languages are great and open doors to a lot more opportunity.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)