• Apr 4th, 2012 8:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 4, 2008
336 posts
42 upvotes

need advice employer overpaid me but didnt pay my expenses

so my employer overpaid me a bit but they didnt pay my expenses. its already been a month and i havnt seen my final expense check.

now my employer wants me to bring the money back. what should i do ?

what can they do to me if i dont pay ?
4 replies
Jun 19, 2005
180 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
jazzzjackrabbit wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2012 8:59 pm
so my employer overpaid me a bit but they didnt pay my expenses. its already been a month and i havnt seen my final expense check.

now my employer wants me to bring the money back. what should i do ?

what can they do to me if i dont pay ?

You can simply return the overpaid amount to your employer. Then, you can ask nicely for your expense to be paid. You and your employer must have a good relationship otherwise both of you may end up not trusting each other.

...just my 2-cents.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
3078 posts
255 upvotes
Ben_Troll wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2012 9:30 pm
You can simply return the overpaid amount to your employer. Then, you can ask nicely for your expense to be paid. You and your employer must have a good relationship otherwise both of you may end up not trusting each other.

...just my 2-cents.

Agreed.

Yes, you're owed money, but it's not the money you were overpaid. It's not your place to make a judgment call and say it's all the same money.

I would pay back what you were overpaid, then get your expense reimbursements afterwards to whatever extent you can.

Much more professional that way.
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
64 upvotes
I'm no expert in Alberta employment law, so please take my post as an opinion - nothing more.

The most logical solution is to deduct the overpayment amount from your expenses owed, and send you a second cheque. This is assuming the overpayment amount is less than the last expense report you submitted, and that they still owe you money. The fact that they are asking you to return the overpayment leads me to suspect they might not pay out your expenses.

Did you keep a copy of your last expense report, with receipts? Did your contract mention you would be reimbursed for expenses?