• Jun 23rd, 2017 2:35 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1460 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto

Need advice - Help!

My wife worked for a company for 7 years. They treated her like crap the whole time but she stuck it out. In the last year, it wouldn't be uncommon to have her crying on my shoulder once a week about how they treated her. She had some health issues at some point and her supervisor never even welcomed her back. Unbelievable.

She hands in her letter of resignation at the beginning of the week. Since they got a new account, they *begged* her to stay. The environment is toxic so they suggested she write a list of demands that she'd accept. Her list was short and consisted mainly of working from home for 2 months, which was an idea initially suggested by the management. When HR got the list, they commented verbally that it was "very reasonable". Today, they said they were accepting her resignation. Totally out of the blue. She calls me absolutely sobbing. She doesn't understand why they would ambush her like that.

She argued that it's not a resignation if they asked her to stay and now just terminated her but they insist they won't be allowing her to get EI. I'm beyond livid and want to know what I can do to fight this. They disrespected her repeatedly and now I want to ensure she gets EI.

Any ideas/suggestions?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1180 posts
114 upvotes
Sounds like you'll probably need a lawyer for this shitty company.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
I suspect she's out of luck. If they would have accepted her list and given her confirmation of that, then her resignation would have been negated (IMHO). But they were in the process of negotiating, which means her resignation is the last word.

As far as her being disrespected repeatedly and now you want to ensure she gets EI... It doesn't "get back" at the company to have someone claim EI or not. It's not like their EI rates go up as claims are made, or they have to pay for her benefits. And she was willing to take the hit on not getting EI when she submitted her resignation, so what's the difference now?

C
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
I believe that she was never eligible for EI throughout the whole scenario since she initially resigned from her role. Since she is terminated now, she may be able to leverage that instead and make a justification claim for EI depending on what the company says.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
Why didn't she have a job lined up before leaving? Sounds like very poor planning.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
windforcexx28 wrote: I believe that she was never eligible for EI throughout the whole scenario since she initially resigned from her role. Since she is terminated now, she may be able to leverage that instead and make a justification claim for EI depending on what the company says.
They didn't terminate her, though. They chose to accept her resignation.

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6023 posts
1871 upvotes
Your wife sounds like a problem employee.

Crying every day because of the office?

Tenders resignation and tries to leverage the company with over the top demands to stay but is shocked when they would actually rather just see her gone?

They probably realized it is easier just to find someone else and gave up on all the hassle.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
windforcexx28 wrote: I believe that she was never eligible for EI throughout the whole scenario since she initially resigned from her role. Since she is terminated now, she may be able to leverage that instead and make a justification claim for EI depending on what the company says.

+1
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Forget ei. Look for a other job. I would tell her to go do a job she will like,. Anything, even volunteer while your the main breadwinner. She will be happy and so will you. Win win.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jul 29, 2007
904 posts
674 upvotes
Pacific Northwest
I would also recommend finding another position while EI is on the back burner.
Dunno if you can fight for EI. If she's a good employee, she should be able to find a job promptly.
Just don't ask for references from that crap company, find previous contacts for that instead.
Best of luck to her, don't "count" on EI, just get her posting her resumes/cv's online daily.
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money!
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13283 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
7 years???? Should of left the company long time ago if it's that toxic, or at least find another company while working at toxic company.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)