Careers

Need advice - help me wise ones!

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 4:06 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 16, 2015
55 posts
6 upvotes

Need advice - help me wise ones!

So - I am working for a company that is for sure seizing operations in Canada. I was cold called for a job interview at a company, position I'd be interested in for sure. So - long story short - I went, I got offered the job. I decided to decline. Mostly for personal issues, timing wasn't right for me to make a move, my children are starting a new school, etc. They said they understand, and if anything changes to give them a call. -- so here we are. I deeply regret not taking the position. The morale in my office is terrible, and I'm alone now in my department. I have gotten a big raise, but I dread coming in here. I really want to call them back and ask if the job is still available. I feel silly for not taking it and staying here. BUT - I'm not sure if they're sincere when they said to call if the situation changes. It could just be something they say. I was offered the job about a month ago. Does anyone have any similar experiences? I really only like my current job because of the flexibility. They're very understanding with my schedule and allow me to work remotely, but will be closing down over the next couple years. Anyway, would love some advise - or if it looks terrible calling a month later LOL - which I'm sure it does. They could have filled the position already. Ugh.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1124 posts
286 upvotes
Alberta
NatashaD097816 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 10:24 am
So - I am working for a company that is for sure seizing operations in Canada. I was cold called for a job interview at a company, position I'd be interested in for sure. So - long story short - I went, I got offered the job. I decided to decline. Mostly for personal issues, timing wasn't right for me to make a move, my children are starting a new school, etc. They said they understand, and if anything changes to give them a call. -- so here we are. I deeply regret not taking the position. The morale in my office is terrible, and I'm alone now in my department. I have gotten a big raise, but I dread coming in here. I really want to call them back and ask if the job is still available. I feel silly for not taking it and staying here. BUT - I'm not sure if they're sincere when they said to call if the situation changes. It could just be something they say. I was offered the job about a month ago. Does anyone have any similar experiences? I really only like my current job because of the flexibility. They're very understanding with my schedule and allow me to work remotely, but will be closing down over the next couple years. Anyway, would love some advise - or if it looks terrible calling a month later LOL - which I'm sure it does. They could have filled the position already. Ugh.
Did u mean ceasing or seizing. Two completely opposite things. One is closing down the other is expansion. If they are ceasing operations why would you not accept the job because you will be out of work in a few months? No harm in calling they may have that or other positions available!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1146 posts
337 upvotes
New York City
Call them up and ask, you have absolutely nothing (further) to lose at this point, except your current job.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 16, 2015
55 posts
6 upvotes
Sorry - terrible - ceasing. I have 2 years until this place closes down, and a settlement already negotiated for staying until the end, if I choose to.... Just can't do it anymore. It's a highly specialized position, they wouldn't have any other positions. I know, I guess I should call since I do regret not talking it - just was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 17, 2008
1176 posts
110 upvotes
McKinsey wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 10:41 am
except your current job.
OP may get promoted to a bigger/better job due to all that expansion at her current company. :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 17, 2008
1176 posts
110 upvotes
NatashaD097816 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 11:03 am
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm terrible.
Glad you let us have a bit fun. :)

Like the other 2 said... call and ask. You have little to lose from that action.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 16, 2015
55 posts
6 upvotes
LOL - you're right. I was curious if anyone has been in this scenario - going back after declining an offer.
Member
May 14, 2013
323 posts
234 upvotes
Edmonton
As you indicated, the time wasn't right. It happens. Call the employer back and see if they have anything else available. Yes, you are at a disadvantage but it doesn't hurt to let them know you are serious about switching jobs. They might not have an immediate vacancy but if they know you are still interested in working for them, at least they'll keep you in mind.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1146 posts
337 upvotes
New York City
Wish you luck OP! If you don't mind, post an update on this thread. Would be a useful data point for other future posters going through your scenario as it is fairly common.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 16, 2015
55 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks - I plan on calling after the long weekend. Will keep you all updated!

Top