• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 8:42 pm
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
269 posts
109 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Need advice: Involved in accident and summoned to witness

I was involved in an accident about 3 months ago. A driver ran a red light and hit my vehicle. He was charged and everything. Recently, I was summoned to court as a witness.

I was just wondering, should I go? Do I have to go? I have a packed school schedule, I would prefer to focus on that.

If I do go, do you guys have any advice or things I should know before going in? Is this going to have an effect on my insurance in any way? He was charged and I was found not at fault.

Thanks.
Last edited by meelad92 on Mar 20th, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7623 posts
412 upvotes
Scarborough
It is exactly same thing happened to my brother about 12 years ago. His mini-van was totalled after was hit by a red light runner. He went to the court and I forgot or he didn't tell me what happened after.
Jun 9, 2007
574 posts
37 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
If you don't show up, I think the charges against him will be dropped.
Feb 19, 2010
15 posts
2 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Swerny wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:57 pm
it's likely for traffic court. I would go and testify to make sure the charges stick against the other driver
This. Some will fight a ticket in hopes that the issuing officer and/or witnesses don't show up. That way the "charges" get dropped and they don't have to pay the fine. I'm guessing after three months both insurance companies have determined fault so it won't change your insurance.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3568 posts
2220 upvotes
GTA
meelad92 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:54 pm
I was involved in an accident about 3 months ago. A driver ran a red light and hit my vehicle. He was charged and everything. Recently, I was summoned to court as a witness.

I was just wondering, should I go? Do I have to go? I have a packed school schedule, I would prefer to focus on that.

If I do go, do you guys have any advice or things I should know before going in? Is this going to have an effect on my insurance in any way? He was charged and I was found not at fault.

Thanks.
Please go so that this bad driver is punished. You don't need to do anything. Just re-read any notes you took at the time and tell the truth.
Oct 13, 2014
946 posts
384 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
meelad92 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks.
You are probably the only witness to this matter. The police have no evidence to give other than identifying the driver by his licence, it is you that has to identify the other driver by your testimony. Tell what happened, do not guess, do not change your story and if you do not know the answer to any question say you do not know. If you fail to appear you also run the risk of being charged for failure to attend court as a subpoenaed witness (Not very likely as the crown would just drop the charge, but it is still possible. Think of the monetary investment by the crown and court system)
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Feb 7, 2017
46 posts
28 upvotes
Don't you think that putting that clown behind the wheel in jail has a bigger priority than your "packed schedule" ?? What if he runs another light and kills someone or does it not bother you at all ??
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
269 posts
109 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Small update: They changed the court date without informing me. My court date was supposed to be tomorrow (23rd). Today, I spoke with the officer who had made the report, I needed him to fix a mistake. When I brought up the trial date, he told me the trial date is the 27th, not the 23rd. In the letter I got, it clearly states the trial date as the 23rd and I haven't received anything else from the government regarding a re-scheduling of the date.
Last edited by meelad92 on Mar 22nd, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 29, 2010
137 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Exact same thing happened to me two years ago OP. Guy didn't stop behind me while I was stopped at an intersection and plowed full force into me, pushing my car into the car in front of me. Police put all the fault on him and my insurance took care of everything (the car was written off, it was my parent's).

So anyway exact same thing happened to me, got summoned as a witness. Actually first there was a letter from his lawyer that I forwarded to my insurance and they were like "**** that", and told me they just pretty much try to sue everyone involved initially then drop everything if they have nothing.

Then I got summoned as a witness because he was trying to plea or something. So I had to take time out of my school schedule to go to Police HQ and pick up the notice. Then I had to miss a day of school to go to the hearing, and whoever the guy representing him was (don't think he was even a lawyer), didn't understand there was a different process involved to claim not guilty.

So I had to be called back a **** gain, and this time the other people in the collision showed up too. They never called us up, the other people in the accident were sitting next to me and talking shit about the guy even though I lost my car and theirs was fine (they also pretended to all have whiplash at the scene even though I was directly hit and was fine). And the guy just ends up getting a $350 fine, just for not stopping. Like wtf? And on top of that he was fighting this? I don't even think he got demerit points.

Anyway that's my long ass story.

Tl;dr: you have to go, you probably won't even be called up, and it's only 10 minutes.

Oh and in response to your wrong date, they did that with me too. Wrong date, and the wrong courtroom lol.