Need Advice on Mini/Med. GoldenDoodles & LabraDoodles

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2017 3:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 21, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you McCarter for your words of wisdom. I'm finding it frustrating that emails and phone calls to breeders I have narrowed out from the lists do not return calls or emails. I'm starting to wonder if asking simple questions like , health records of sire and dam along with costs, deposits, guarantees and if the dam is on site turns them off. I can't figure out why not one has made contact with me. Strange !
Apr 25, 2011
608 posts
207 upvotes
British Columbia
My family has had a number of Miniature Poodle and Poodle mixes throughout the years, the majority of our dogs have been at least part Poodle. They have been generally healthy dogs living 12-18 years.

Some Poodles are high strung, some won't stop barking, some are snappy, some are more timid/standoffish with strangers and they can be very hypersensitive of sounds and movement... those traits are not the best for children, but some are all of the above and some are none of the above. Overall I've found them to be good companion dogs, intelligent, responsive, with a lower prey drive. Some of their issues may be at least partly overcome with proper socialization at a young age. Also meeting the parents and judging their temperaments can help.

Every dog is an individual, so it is hard to say if the dog you end up with is going to have the temperament and health you would like solely based on breed; breed standards are a generalisation. Epilepsy can strike idiopathically in any dog.

Are the websites you are contacting updated often? When I was looking for a dog I found many that were outdated and likely weren't even breeding any longer. Also some breeders are only hobby breeders having one or two litters a year and this again might cause them not to be as on top of emails... one hobby breeder took about a month to get back to me, hah.

A good breeder should be happy to answer questions so keep asking!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5135 posts
655 upvotes
South of Ottawa
McCarter wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 11:52 pm
You can try contacting your local breed club (contact the CKC if you can't find it). Also, you can go to dog shows and ask the exhibitors whether they're planning any litters, whether they do any line breeding, what sort of health testing they do etc. (make sure they aren't getting ready to get in the ring). You will probably have to pay a deposit and wait for a pick from an upcoming litter.

It's also possible to find a good breeder on Kijiji, but you have to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. You may have to look around for months. Generally I've found that responsible breeders will list the testing they've done on their dogs (e.g. OFA, Cerf etc.) on the ad itself. Many ads offer a health guarantee, but in my experience, this means nothing. Many of these breeders are backyard breeders and do not perform health testing of the breeding stock. Even health guarantees from responsible breeders is not a draw at all for me. You get to return the dog if he has a hereditary defect for another pup? No thanks, I'd have grown attached, I'm sure.
Reputable breeders do not sell on kijiji, ever. They don't have to.

If you are going with a miniature breed, beware. They are very much in demand and the brokers and byb's are everywhere, especially in Southern Ontario.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you Karala for your informative input. Yes I have reached the same conclusions. As for the Breeders, yes have made sure that their site is maintained as it tell you in general how good they are at staying on top of things much like how organized they are. But it is disappointing to see the lack of "customer service" for a lack of a better word.

The other issue is that everyone seems to be at least 150 kilometer away and on average over 200 K away here in southern Ontario.
Oct 25, 2012
21 posts
5 upvotes
You and I will just have to disagree. I don't believe responsible breeders intentionally breed designer dogs, but apparently you do. As a hobby, I used to like browsing through at Kijiji ads and have done so for years. A few years ago I considered getting a pup from a Cardigan Welsh Corgi breeder that advertised on Kijiji. She did extensive health testing and was taking reservations BEFORE the litter was born. I've also seen ads from a breeder that was president of her national breed club, at least a few breeders that have shown at Westminster, and other top breeders in the province. Just because these breeders do well in conformation shows do not mean their dogs are superior - I mentioning this to say that there are all sorts of puppies/dogs on Kijiji: from puppy mills, backyard breeders, shelters, rescues and breeders who take part in dog shows. For the most part, as I've alluded to before, the majority of dogs being sold on Kijiji are poorly bred, but to say that it isn't possible to find a well-bred dog through it is too big of a generalization. Many of these breeders are not tech-savvy enough to make their own webpages, and without resources like the now-defunct Dogs in Canada magazine, and with new pet selling rules on Craigslist, it may be hard for them to put the word out about upcoming litters.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5135 posts
655 upvotes
South of Ottawa
McCarter wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 8:11 pm
You and I will just have to disagree. I don't believe responsible breeders intentionally breed designer dogs, but apparently you do. As a hobby, I used to like browsing through at Kijiji ads and have done so for years. A few years ago I considered getting a pup from a Cardigan Welsh Corgi breeder that advertised on Kijiji. She did extensive health testing and was taking reservations BEFORE the litter was born. I've also seen ads from a breeder that was president of her national breed club, at least a few breeders that have shown at Westminster, and other top breeders in the province. Just because these breeders do well in conformation shows do not mean their dogs are superior - I mentioning this to say that there are all sorts of puppies/dogs on Kijiji: from puppy mills, backyard breeders, shelters, rescues and breeders who take part in dog shows. For the most part, as I've alluded to before, the majority of dogs being sold on Kijiji are poorly bred, but to say that it isn't possible to find a well-bred dog through it is too big of a generalization. Many of these breeders are not tech-savvy enough to make their own webpages, and without resources like the now-defunct Dogs in Canada magazine, and with new pet selling rules on Craigslist, it may be hard for them to put the word out about upcoming litters.
"Designer dogs"? You clearly come in with a bias. Purebred dogs come from unscrupulous breeders as much as any mutt does. Whether you want a doodle, a puggle, a golden, shepherd, or whatever the designer name is, a reputable breeder will health test both the puppies and the parents, and will not advertise on kijiji. Their advertisement is through word of mouth, references, and people doing research through breed clubs. And yes, Australian Labradoodles have a breed club (not to be confused with American doodles with zero lineage). So no, this is not about disagreeing, this is you with a bias or simply not having enough information to not be biased. The fact that you were looking at Cardigan Welsh Corgis speaks volumes, considering the inbreeding of that dog and the resulting health issues.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
To MacCarter and Beachdown You both make good points. I'm not much of a government rules type of guy, but from what I see there should be some sort of regulation when it comes to selling dogs. The OSPCA, the Toronto Humane Society of which I'm a member, and the CKC or the consumer ministry don't seem to have any solid degree of control or regulations when it comes to selling these poor creatures. Many of these "breeders" even charge HST yet when asked for their GST number they couldn't come up with one. Where is the CRA or the provincial tax dept on this?
This is money collected but never turned in. Considering that these animals are sold like used cars is it any wonder the dog pounds and rescue places are full of rejected dogs.
Oct 25, 2012
21 posts
5 upvotes
<deleted>

I erased my post. I realized I was just being argumentative. I will just end my part in this conversation by urging people to do their homework when choosing a pet. I am a fan of purebreds, but recently I adopted a mixed breed, so I may be someone who urges people to "adopt, don't shop" in the future.
Last edited by McCarter on Apr 1st, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 25, 2012
21 posts
5 upvotes
To MacCarter and Beachdown You both make good points. I'm not much of a government rules type of guy, but from what I see there should be some sort of regulation when it comes to selling dogs. The OSPCA, the Toronto Humane Society of which I'm a member, and the CKC or the consumer ministry don't seem to have any solid degree of control or regulations when it comes to selling these poor creatures.

The CKC definitely needs to do more. They need to be more proactive when it comes to shutting down puppy mills, for example. However if more and more people decide that they don't care about registration papers, or if they purchase a dog with a registration that's not legit (e.g. NAPR)...then there is only so much the CKC can do. That is, they can only police their own members.

I was surprised to read the new rules on selling pets on Craigslist. Perhaps in the future Kijiji will also follow suit. I've written that healthy dogs can be found on Kijiji, but I wouldn't mind if Kijiji prohibits pet ads altogether. I hate seeing ads that I suspect come from puppy mills, and ads from people giving away their senior-aged pets, for owners looking for "boyfriends" or "girlfriends" for their dogs etc.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
I'm in full agreement. Something needs to be done as currently it's a mess with far too many showing little regard for the poor dogs.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3044 posts
1079 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Quercetin67HP wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 8:39 pm
Thank you for your thoughts. I was outside the other day when a young lady went by with this dog that looked exactly like the Global TV weatherman's famous dog Storm.
I asked her about her dog asking if it was a Labradoodle or Goldendoodle. She said it was a Poodle. It was a miniature poodle! I couldn't believe that one couldn't tell the difference, at least I can't.
So , yes I'm looking into getting a Poodle. My only concern is that I heard Poodles are more high strung and not the best around children because of this.
Further, Poodles do have more issues with epilepsy. And since my son has epilepsy I'm really somewhat concerned.

Do you own a Poodle?
Poodles are extraordinarily smart and trainable. I think they are wonderful dogs. My boss has two standard poodles that he brings to work sometimes and they are awesome. My old boss had a miniature poodle and I was in love with that one too.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 1:30 pm
Poodles are extraordinarily smart and trainable. I think they are wonderful dogs. My boss has two standard poodles that he brings to work sometimes and they are awesome. My old boss had a miniature poodle and I was in love with that one too.
I agree with your assessment of Poodles - except of course when they are holy terrors. A few come to mind that fall into the latter category (from standard to mini). Very smart dogs but not easily trained. It is much the same with any breed - temperaments are across the board.

I love Alpha dogs - but these Poodles are nuts!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3044 posts
1079 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Blanche123 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 4:12 pm
I agree with your assessment of Poodles - except of course when they are holy terrors. A few come to mind that fall into the latter category (from standard to mini). Very smart dogs but not easily trained. It is much the same with any breed - temperaments are across the board.

I love Alpha dogs - but these Poodles are nuts!
Well, take everything I say about "easy" with a grain of salt. I live with two Jack Russell terriers lololol. Alpha - check, stubborn - check, genius - check, listen to me and do as they're told when they're told? - .....hmm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5135 posts
655 upvotes
South of Ottawa
McCarter wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:34 am
To MacCarter and Beachdown You both make good points. I'm not much of a government rules type of guy, but from what I see there should be some sort of regulation when it comes to selling dogs. The OSPCA, the Toronto Humane Society of which I'm a member, and the CKC or the consumer ministry don't seem to have any solid degree of control or regulations when it comes to selling these poor creatures.

The CKC definitely needs to do more. They need to be more proactive when it comes to shutting down puppy mills, for example. However if more and more people decide that they don't care about registration papers, or if they purchase a dog with a registration that's not legit (e.g. NAPR)...then there is only so much the CKC can do. That is, they can only police their own members.

I was surprised to read the new rules on selling pets on Craigslist. Perhaps in the future Kijiji will also follow suit. I've written that healthy dogs can be found on Kijiji, but I wouldn't mind if Kijiji prohibits pet ads altogether. I hate seeing ads that I suspect come from puppy mills, and ads from people giving away their senior-aged pets, for owners looking for "boyfriends" or "girlfriends" for their dogs etc.
The CKC will never "do more" to shut down puppymills, it is their bread and butter. As with the AKC, registration revenue is the vast majority of their income.

The documentary, Dog by Dog, was just released on Netflix. I urge everyone to watch it. While it is an American story, it applies to every country.