• Jan 26th, 2006 12:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2092 posts
449 upvotes
Mariner is an awesome ship.

In St. Maarten your best bet is to buy the unlimited water taxi pass. The water taxi is a lot of fun :) And you go can back and forth freely like if you want to go back to the ship to go to the Windjammer for lunch. The beach just where the water taxi lets you off is great too. We paid a restaurant who set up some beach chairs and umbrellas for rental of the chairs and they let us use their clean washroom lol.
Dec 25, 2004
892 posts
188 upvotes
Thanks all.

Isn't the best part of St. Martin going to Orient Beach on the French side? There are 6 of us so renting a car is probably cheaper than 2 cabs. I've heard I should spend more time on the north shore than the south.

I'll probably get out in St. Thomas, but doubt I'll do much exploring...maybe hope for some decent shopping.

Does anyone know if you can get expensive clothing cheaper than here on either St.Thomas or St.Martin?
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
This is an amazing thread! I'm actually planning THIS MOMENT to do an Eastern Caribbean cruise!

Did anyone else anything else besides shop on these two islands that I should look into doing? I heard the 4x4 tour on St. Maarten was CRAP though.:

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1671 posts
402 upvotes
Montreal
in my opinion, you should totally ignore those links. Even though they might be true, they are typical news stories being blown out of proportion........if you do the math of all the cruise ships sailing globally every week, there are more passengers than I can count.......I think it is safe to say that the incident % is extemely low. You have more of a chance of getting sick with something like the norwalk virus than anything else on a ship :)

But like he said, have a safe and fun cruise!
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
Kuurgen wrote:I hate to inject negativity into this thread, but It's better you know and go prepared than not.

I hope you have a SAFE and fun cruise.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1400466

http://tinyurl.com/b4swo
OH MY, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE/GO MISSING ON A CRUISE SHIP!

It is estimated that in the past two years, about a dozen people have disappeared while aboard cruise ships.

6 people a year (12 in the past 2 years)? Out of how many HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people that take a Cruise each year? Come on, that's panicing for nothing.

You are more likely to get hit by a car than thrown overboard by some killer on a cruise ship.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Make sure you are in the inside cabin. No windows ... just in case, your spouse will throw you overboard. :D

BTW, wear the life jacket all the time .. just in case. :D
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
I wouldn't ignore the links all together. They do serve as a "sharp" reminder not to be stupid on board, don't walk around drunk, be foolish, or flaunting or showing off your wealth.

A cruise should be fun and you should behave like you're in some little city and respect everyone on board. Don't be a dumb ass. Afterall, you're stuck aboard and if something does happen, there's no place to run except jumping off ship. :cheesygri

As far as the h20 onboard, I had no problem. But maybe that was because we went to Alaska and it was a Celebrity ship. Bring also some room deodorizer since the room is not aired out and sometimes u can smell the washroom odours and other yucky things. :o
Jan 9, 2006
2 posts
gman wrote: I don't know much about renting a car in St. Martin and I don't know what the rule is if you cross the border (from Dutch side to French side and vice versa). There are even more shopping in downtown St.Martin (Dutch side).

There really is no border you just see a sign like going from Ontario to PQ.
The shopping in Marigot is much nicer than Phillipsburg .
There is a local market behind BACK ST across from the firehall with lots of Batik clothing at a good price in Phillipsburg.
Dec 25, 2004
892 posts
188 upvotes
Thanks everyone! I just got back and had a great time.

St. Thomas is a dump! LOL...but Magen's Bay is the 2nd best natural beach I've been too in the world...and I've been to alot. Perfect beach, water, natural surroundings and only about 10 mins by cab.

St. Martin is a much nicer island. We went into Marigot...renting the car was worth it. Shopping was good esp. for booze, perfumes and jewelry. I picked up some Lacoste cologne for $30....its triple that in Toronto. Orient Beach is wonderful....great dining just off the beach (expensive) and the beach has many amentities. Oh the price of electronics is better than boxing day at Future Shop!!!! I picked up a Canon S2 for $400!...that was right off the pier.

The Mariner of the Seas is a great boat...beautiful and tonnes to do. The food was spectacular. I'm a foodie and the fact that they can prepare delicious meals for 3000 people is incredible. If anyone has any Mariner questions let me know.

If anyone is thinking of cruising I recommend it!
Sep 28, 2002
806 posts
3 upvotes
Edmonton
I have been on around 5 cruises and the last cruise I was on was struck with the norwalk virus. My mother got it but the rest of us did not. Basically, the doctor was prescribing pepto bismol to all inflicted. Whenever you got off/on the ship, you had to sanitize your hands (ie. purell). Normally, you get to pick and choose your own food at the buffet, when there is an outbreak, only the servers are allowed to serve the food. I didn't think it was that bad except the food at the buffet was not as lavishly displayed since it was all wrapped up and served to you...that was my experience.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4758 posts
130 upvotes
Oakville
I can't the believe the nickel-n-diming for everything. Tips for servers, housekeeping, valets, bartenders. The costs are crazy and you really have to budget for these somehow.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
gmark2000 wrote:I can't the believe the nickel-n-diming for everything. Tips for servers, housekeeping, valets, bartenders. The costs are crazy and you really have to budget for these somehow.
Yup. that's the "cruise experience". This is one reason why I prefer an all-inclusive vacation, but of course the quality of everything on a cruise usually is better than an AI vacation.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2619 posts
49 upvotes
gmark2000 wrote:I can't the believe the nickel-n-diming for everything. Tips for servers, housekeeping, valets, bartenders. The costs are crazy and you really have to budget for these somehow.

that's what put's me off giving it a try...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)