• May 18th, 2019 4:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
889 posts
486 upvotes
Moncton

Need advise - Canon T7i, 77D or 80D?

Disclaimer: I am not a photographer and don't understand or am interested to know all the technical mumbo jumbo, but could use some advise from those of you who do.

My wife has an old and well used T3 Rebel that she's no longer satisfied with it and wants to upgrade. She has invested in couple of Canon lenses so wants to stay with a Canon DSLR.

She uses it mostly for sports photography with a EF 70-200 L USM lens and mostly uses the auto settings. We've sort of narrowed the replacement selection down to the T7i, 77D or 80D. I'm looking for advise on which one to go with. For here situation, is there any reason to spend the extra $ for the 77D or 80D, or would the T7i be the best choice.

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1021 posts
636 upvotes
Montreal
oIIIIIo wrote:
May 5th, 2019 1:54 pm
Disclaimer: I am not a photographer and don't understand or am interested to know all the technical mumbo jumbo, but could use some advise from those of you who do.

My wife has an old and well used T3 Rebel that she's no longer satisfied with it and wants to upgrade. She has invested in couple of Canon lenses so wants to stay with a Canon DSLR.

She uses it mostly for sports photography with a EF 70-200 L USM lens and mostly uses the auto settings. We've sort of narrowed the replacement selection down to the T7i, 77D or 80D. I'm looking for advise on which one to go with. For here situation, is there any reason to spend the extra $ for the 77D or 80D, or would the T7i be the best choice.

Thanks
Go for the T7i. She'll love the upgrade over the T3.

The only reason one might consider the 77D is for better manual controls which she doesn't use.

Definately don't go for the 80D, both the 77D and T7i use a newer processor for faster everything. The only reason you have to consider the 80D is the weather sealed, the other 2 are not.
Nov 12, 2012
578 posts
214 upvotes
Calgary
On the flip side, the 80d has a better viewfinder, bigger battery life, and can shoot up to 1/8000 if needed. The 77d is a price point camera intended to bridge the gap to the 80d, it has most of the features, but not all from it's bigger cousin.

Any of the 3 options will be a significant upgrade over her existing camera, but as mentioned above, if she's in auto mode most of the time, then there is no huge advantage in paying extra. With the rumored 90d around the corner, we should be seeing some price drops on both cameras.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
889 posts
486 upvotes
Moncton
Thanks for the advise. Decided to go with the T7i. Bought it from BestBuy with a PM from Amazon.ca.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)