Computers & Electronics

Need Bang for the buck internet and a home phone.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2017 11:56 pm
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
24 posts
3 upvotes

Need Bang for the buck internet and a home phone.

Hello everyone. This is my first post here in this forum. I am looking for cheap but reliable internet (probably DSL/FTTH) and some cheap home phone line. I have found Carrytel 50/10 dsl or 100/10 cable (and cannet too but heard bad things about CIK in this forum and dslreports). I need to know if there is something similar internet at this price and speed. I suspect i have a rogers cable at my location. Also i would like to know if they will charge me $10 extra for dry loop if i just get the internet and not phone from some other provider. Please guide me what to look for when the installation guy comes up at my location (Scarborough near Scarborough Golf club/ Brimorton dr intersection).

- Need recommendation for modem/router with Technicolor 558v modem ($49 - $10promo code) or get Sagecom 5250 ($100 + 39 installation fee).
- Is 100/10 cable better than 50/10 dsl in terms of ping (gaming) and peak hours load.
- Should i wait till end of March for 100/10 cable or go with 50/10 dsl
-Any recommendation for the cheapest home phone line provider (landline or voip)

Sorry for bad english.

Thanks in advance! :)
27 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2083 posts
945 upvotes
Saint John
Xanishftw wrote: Hello everyone. This is my first post here in this forum. I am looking for cheap but reliable internet (probably DSL/FTTH) and some cheap home phone line. I have found Carrytel 50/10 dsl or 100/10 cable (and cannet too but heard bad things about CIK in this forum and dslreports). I need to know if there is something similar internet at this price and speed. I suspect i have a rogers cable at my location. Also i would like to know if they will charge me $10 extra for dry loop if i just get the internet and not phone from some other provider. Please guide me what to look for when the installation guy comes up at my location (Scarborough near Scarborough Golf club/ Brimorton dr intersection).

- Need recommendation for modem/router with Technicolor 558v modem ($49 - $10promo code) or get Sagecom 5250 ($100 + 39 installation fee).
- Is 100/10 cable better than 50/10 dsl in terms of ping (gaming) and peak hours load.
- Should i wait till end of March for 100/10 cable or go with 50/10 dsl
-Any recommendation for the cheapest home phone line provider (landline or voip)

Sorry for bad english.

Thanks in advance! :)
For a phone line, you can just get freephoneline.ca, a VOIP unlock code from them, and an Obi device. You're looking at around a $120-150 initial cost (code + Obi), then it's free.
Nov 29, 2007
727 posts
244 upvotes
Quebec, QC
FreePhoneline.ca is what I use and it's great. It's been 3 years of free service.

For the internet I wouldnt go for DSL since you'll need a dry line since you won't have a land line.
Fibe or Cable are the way to go in my opinion.

Either are good but the most important is know your needs. If you only have one user at once doing heavy traffic at home you could start at 10 or 15 MBits.

If you are more likely to do two netflix at a time with gamming on top of that you can start at 30Mbs.

Upload should at least be 10Mbits thats the new standard I think.

Know your montly consommation too. Paying for unlimited when you do 100Gig per month is a waste.

I use Ebox for my internet it is very easy to switch from 15mb to 30mb if the needs arise and they got great price.

I use there 5$ addon to have unlimited from 2am to 2pm. Really usefull when you got to download that new game on steam at the end of the month.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8959 posts
1717 upvotes
Winnipeg
I under stand the cost savings of voip for the long term investment. But the hoops and set up and reliability and area code numbers. But if its say a monthly budget based allowance. Wouldn't a cellular/land phone like the 10 buck variety from rogers/fido/koodo be better all around?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25954 posts
11385 upvotes
lead wrote: I under stand the cost savings of voip for the long term investment. But the hoops and set up and reliability and area code numbers. But if its say a monthly budget based allowance. Wouldn't a cellular/land phone like the 10 buck variety from rogers/fido/koodo be better all around?
What hoops?
Also what reliability (issues)?
And while we're there, what area code number issues?

I can get voip going in less time than it takes me to put on pants and go to the store to buy a cell contract, let alone the time it takes someone at the phone company to come out and actually hook up a phone line for me.

As for pricing, it depends on how much you call.
Where are you getting $10 phone lines from? Unless it's prepaid and you make zero calls, you're probably going to average more than $10/month.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8959 posts
1717 upvotes
Winnipeg
death_hawk wrote: What hoops?
Also what reliability (issues)?
And while we're there, what area code number issues?

I can get voip going in less time than it takes me to put on pants and go to the store to buy a cell contract, let alone the time it takes someone at the phone company to come out and actually hook up a phone line for me.

As for pricing, it depends on how much you call.
Where are you getting $10 phone lines from? Unless it's prepaid and you make zero calls, you're probably going to average more than $10/month.
the fido the rogers the koodo canada wide home cellular landline deals they happen all the time and you don't even need an internet plan. Koodos may still be going I think its 5 a month for the first year.

You downvoted for asking a question! seriously! turn in your man card. You lost all privelges

"I can get voip going in less time than it takes me to put on pants"

tell a 85 year old grandfather to go buy and hook up a voip phone and port his existing lan line to it. No wait I'll do it right now........5 min later.....
Yeah he has no clue..... he wants to know what store he needs to goto!!!

So what now... point him/her to a web page... reddit, youtube how tube video etc. Maybe show a link from amazon say order this. then do this and then this etc Seriously!!!! Its plug and play or go away.

Or perhaps the ones with no fore knowledge unlike you could just goto the mall. Any one of those mentioned cellular cubbies and have it all done by then at the mall. Then go home plug it in and it works. That is about the fastest easiest cheapest way there is for people. Especially people with no technical fore knowledge and even NO INTERNET!!
Heres the last one I remember off hand

https://www.koodomobile.com/wireless-home-phone 5 bucks/m for the first year

I can't believe you downvoted me for a question?
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
24 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions and info. My requirement for phone is usually for international calls to Asian/Middle eastern countries. My budget is around $50/month for phone/internet combined. Internet usage would be 3 devices running on FHD max for 5hr. Never heard of Ebox, prices seems good. Initial payment for devices is not an issue for me and plans should be of no contract.

Thankyou again everyone! :)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2083 posts
945 upvotes
Saint John
Xanishftw wrote: Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions and info. My requirement for phone is usually for international calls to Asian/Middle eastern countries. My budget is around $50/month for phone/internet combined. Internet usage would be 3 devices running on FHD max for 5hr. Never heard of Ebox, prices seems good. Initial payment for devices is not an issue for me and plans should be of no contract.

Thankyou again everyone! :)
With freephoneline.ca, you pay nothing for the monthly service (including calling to most cities in Canada) once the initial cost is paid.

Here are their LD rates: https://www.freephoneline.ca/ldServices

This is the device you need to hook any regular phone up to VoIP service: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6833617008

It goes on sale from time to time for around $50-60. The code you buy from them allows you to use this device with their service. I think it used to be cheaper but it seems they've jacked up the price. Once you have everything you need there are guides on these forums and some very knowledgeable people who could help you if you run into problems. I used a guide and had everything up and running in less than 10 minutes.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21166 posts
10599 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Lol tons of downvote smashing going on. Least we know who is doing the smashing in this instance.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3290 upvotes
lead wrote: I under stand the cost savings of voip for the long term investment. But the hoops and set up and reliability and area code numbers. But if its say a monthly budget based allowance. Wouldn't a cellular/land phone like the 10 buck variety from rogers/fido/koodo be better all around?
I've never downvoted anyone, but I've come close a few times.

In answer to your question, no. I've paid $0 for over 6 years now with Freephoneline--each month, every month. It's pretty hard to beat free, after initial setup fees. And with each passing month, my costs continue to approach $0. So even at $5, after 26 months (I'm including the price of an OBi200), you're paying more than anyone else that's signing up to FPL right now. After 6 years, you'll have paid $230 more if you manage to pay $5 per month for 6 years. If you're paying $10 per month after the first year, you'll have paid $530 more after 6 years. And so on, and so forth. By the way, anyone with a Google Voice account and an Obihai OBi200/202 can make free outgoing calls to anywhere within Canada and the U.S. using a regular telephone.

Back when I signed up with FPL, it was $50+tax. Great deal. Now it's $79.95+tax.

Rogers/Koodo/Fido costs more than a FPL/Google Voice combo. Period. And those users with Rogers/Kodoo/Fido/etc. lack the capacity to do what others can do with an Obihai ATA.

OBi200/202 offers support for up to 4 SIP trunks and 8 voice gateways. That means you can use up to 12 different VoIP services on one telephone.

Many people have multiple accounts with different providers. I'm one of them.

For some people, Google Voice is one account. You get a U.S. phone number that people
in a local city in the U.S. can call for free. You can call anywhere in Canada and the U.S. for free.
You can call long distance using GV/Hangouts in CAD: https://www.google.com/voice/rates
Note that obtaining a Google Voice number requires a U.S. IP address and a legitimate U.S. phone number (typically not VoIP) that hasn't been used to activate Google Voice before. I will not be helping people obtain Google Voice phone numbers, sorry. But you just need a GV account (you don't need a GV number) to make outbound calls for free to anywhere in Canada and the U.S.

Freephoneline is another account. You get a Canadian phone number. You can call to most major Canadian cities for free.
$79.95 setup fee+tax. $25+tax if you want to port your existing phone number into FPL. No ongoing fees for as long as you use FPL.

Someone might be using a VoIP.ms phone number on a SIP account.
https://voip.ms/rates.php (USD)

Someone might be using VoiP.ms on a voice gateway for outgoing calls only.
Some people use free N.Y. phone numbers from Callcentric. That's another SIP account.

Want people to be able to call you from many places around the world for free? http://www.inum.net/?page_id=42
Get a free iNum number from VoIP.ms.
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Order_a_DI ... ring_iNums

Some people might be using Anveo. Anveo Obihai special pricing can be found here (in USD): http://www.anveo.com/anveoforobitalk.asp
http://www.anveo.com/rates.asp (USD)
If you choose multiple providers, you can cherry pick long distance rates overseas.

You can setup SIP Broker on a voice gateway and get access to free calling to over 2,000 VoIP networks:
http://www.sipbroker.com
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0

Want an incoming phone call to be routed via SIP URI dialing elsewhere for free? You can do that with an OBi. Want to have an incoming call be routed through another service provider to a different phone number? You can do that with an Obihai ATA. Want to be able to dial into your ATA from a cellphone and have the ATA call you back (great if you have free incoming minute plans) and get access to all of the same services you have on your ATA? You can do that with an Obihai ATA's auto attendant feature: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=66.0

Is your mom is calling you on your FPL number, but you want to route that call to your aunt in the U.S. for free using Google Voice? Or maybe you want that call to be routed to your uncle in Sweden using VoiP.ms' value rates. You can do that with an Obihai ATA.

You can't do all of that with Koodo/Fido/Rogers etc. And those services cost more than FPL, in the end.

The argument about internet service, to me, doesn't work. We're in the Computer and Electronics forum. Somehow we're posting on RFD. We're not using pencil and paper and posting to a physical bulletin board. People keep talking about others who don't have internet access, and yet, 87% of Canadian households have internet access: https://cira.ca/factbook/2015/the-canad ... ernet.html.
So, who are these people who keep talking about a lack of internet access referring to? 13% of the Canadian population? That's relatively small. We're on RFD. So who are these people marketing towards? People without internet access? On RFD????? The internet access argument doesn't work on RFD. The OP has internet access (for the majority in Canada, this is a sunk cost and not relevant).

What does work, for me, is someone telling me that he or she doesn't want to read and learn. There are people like that. There can be a learning curve. But I did write a guide for a reason: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839. Sure, for some people, a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) VoIP service is not a good choice.

For more info, visit newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... ax-2083622.

By the way, you're in Winnipeg. FPL's SIP servers are in southern Ontario. Depending on your pings and jitter to those servers, I may advise against you using FPL: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p27515963.

Ultimately, yeah, it depends on what's best for each individual. But blanket statements concerning VoIP often aren't accurate.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Mar 14th, 2017 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25954 posts
11385 upvotes
lead wrote: the fido the rogers the koodo canada wide home cellular landline deals they happen all the time and you don't even need an internet plan. Koodos may still be going I think its 5 a month for the first year.
*For the first year
Then it's $20/month.
You downvoted for asking a question! seriously! turn in your man card. You lost all privelges
For one, I don't understand how a "man card" has anything to do with this. You should turn in your man card for not having any idea how it works.
For two, OH! FAKE INTERNET POINTS!
For three, the other false statements (ie reliability, hoops, and area code issues)
tell a 85 year old grandfather to go buy and hook up a voip phone and port his existing lan line to it. No wait I'll do it right now........5 min later.....
Yeah he has no clue..... he wants to know what store he needs to goto!!!

So what now... point him/her to a web page... reddit, youtube how tube video etc. Maybe show a link from amazon say order this. then do this and then this etc Seriously!!!! Its plug and play or go away.
Unless OP is an 85 year old grandfather that doesn't understand the internet (which OP seems like he isn't) this doesn't apply.
Home phone might be the best option for someone like that.

Or perhaps the ones with no fore knowledge unlike you could just goto the mall. Any one of those mentioned cellular cubbies and have it all done by then at the mall. Then go home plug it in and it works. That is about the fastest easiest cheapest way there is for people.
If plug and play is what you want, go for it.
But since OP is asking for "best bang for the buck" $20/month isn't exactly "bang for buck"
Depending on call volume, you could be paying less than that per YEAR. And no, limited duration promos don't count unless you want to drag your 85 (now 86) year old grandfather to the mall every year just to change service providers.
Especially people with no technical fore knowledge and even NO INTERNET!!
Ok, who doesn't have internet nowadays? (Yes, I understand there's people that don't have internet)
But considering we're on a forum that is on the internet, this argument is moot.
No technical knowledge isn't an argument either. It's trivally easy to set up nowadays with some light reading.
I can't believe you downvoted me for a question?
I can't believe you care so much about fake internet points.
Also don't look now, but 4 other people downvoted you for this very post.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25954 posts
11385 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
The argument about internet service, to me, doesn't work. We're in the Computer and Electronics forum. Somehow we're posting on RFD. We're not using pencil and paper and posting to a physical bulletin board. People keep talking about others who don't have internet access, and yet, 87% of Canadian households have internet access: https://cira.ca/factbook/2015/the-canad ... ernet.html.
So, who are these people who keep talking about a lack of internet access referring to? 13% of the Canadian population? That's relatively small. We're on RFD. So who are these people marketing towards? People without internet access? On RFD????? The internet access argument doesn't work on RFD. The OP has internet access (for the majority in Canada, this is a sunk cost and not relevant).
I'm actually surprised it's that high (13% I mean)
Also to be fair, since we're talking about voip we have to take into account latency.
Canada is huge (apparently, this is what all the telcos keep telling us) which means that only major centers have "real" internet.
Those in the boonies are stuck with satellite which isn't really usable for voip.
Still though, the core argument remains. Everyone reading this is on an internet forum. Argument moot.
By the way, you're in Winnipeg. FPL's SIP servers are in southern Ontario. Depending on your pings and jitter to those servers, I may advise against you using FPL: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p27515963.
OP (of this thread) is in Ontario though.
voip.ms does have Chicago but that's not really close either.
Not that lead has an open enough mind to consider something better.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2307 posts
927 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: OP (of this thread) is in Ontario though.
voip.ms does have Chicago but that's not really close either.
Toronto 1, ON (toronto.voip.ms) 158.85.70.148
Toronto 2, ON (toronto2.voip.ms) 158.85.70.149
Toronto 3, ON (toronto3.voip.ms) 158.85.70.150
Toronto 4, ON (toronto4.voip.ms) 158.85.70.151
Toronto 5, ON (toronto5.voip.ms) 184.75.215.106
Toronto 6, ON (toronto6.voip.ms) 184.75.215.114
Toronto 7, ON (toronto7.voip.ms) 184.75.215.146
Toronto 8, ON (toronto8.voip.ms) 184.75.213.210
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25954 posts
11385 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: Toronto 1, ON (toronto.voip.ms) 158.85.70.148
Toronto 2, ON (toronto2.voip.ms) 158.85.70.149
Toronto 3, ON (toronto3.voip.ms) 158.85.70.150
Toronto 4, ON (toronto4.voip.ms) 158.85.70.151
Toronto 5, ON (toronto5.voip.ms) 184.75.215.106
Toronto 6, ON (toronto6.voip.ms) 184.75.215.114
Toronto 7, ON (toronto7.voip.ms) 184.75.215.146
Toronto 8, ON (toronto8.voip.ms) 184.75.213.210
Yes, I'm well aware that voip.ms has servers in Ontario.
However, Webslinger was talking about FPL and thinking OP was in Winnipeg.

I wasn't aware that Toronto had 8 servers though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3290 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
However, Webslinger was talking about FPL and thinking OP was in Winnipeg.
I was replying to lead. Under lead's handle, it says he's in Winnipeg. Possibly VoIP.ms, Spout Communications, or something else would work better for him than FPL. Difficult to know without testing. I'm not really into throwing money at services and just hoping they work well.

OP is in Scarborough. I don't see FPL being a problem for OP (but some ISPs have funny routing). Testing before paying never hurt anyone.

Try the free FPL desktop app: https://www.fongo.com/app/desktop/

Make sure that you're not muting anything (microphone/speakers), and that you tested to ensure your mic is working before fiddling around with the app.

(For Windows 10 users, this is related: http://win10faq.com/fix-microphone-settings/)

And make sure you test incoming calls for 1-way audio issues before paying a dime to FPL (you'll need a mic and headphones/speakers to test). Test on a computer that's connected to your router (without DMZ or port forwarding enabled). Should you encounter 1-way audio issues, look for a feature called SIP ALG in your router (you may need to call your ISP if you're using a modem/router combo) and disable that feature.

C. Hitron CGN3 series modem/router combos from Rogers

i. Typically it's better to have your own router (newer Asus routers or something that can run Asuswrt-Merlin or Tomato) and to stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode.

ii. Disable SIP ALG in your own router. Many modem/router combos that are issued by ISPs have faulty SIP ALG/SPI functions enabled, with no way to disable them. These features can mangle SIP headers.

To understand why SIP ALG is often a serious headache visit http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

Otherwise, get your ISP to disable SIP ALG for you. The rep you speak to may not know how to disable SIP ALG. Be prepared for stupidity and resistance. Someone may try to enable DMZ in your modem/router combo; that's a security risk and very stupid. Be aware if you reset your modem or when your ISP pushes new firmware to your modem/router combo, SIP ALG will be enabled again by default.

For Hitron modem users . . .

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... 972#M28972
Datalink wrote: Call tech support and ask the CSR to disable the SIP/ALG setting of the modem.

If the CSR refuses to check or uncheck the function switch, or tries to direct you to the Techxpert support which is a pay service, terminate the call and send a private message to @CommunityHelps to disable the SIP/ALG. Include your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number in the text area. The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. If you are a new customer, you will not have immediate access to the Cable Account Reference Number. This can be obtained by calling Customer support. You can then send that Reference Number, along with the modem MAC address to CommunityHelps. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

The modem MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or in the HFC MACC Address located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

When that is confirmed as complete, reboot the modem to determine if disabling the SIP/ALG has remedied the problem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... d-id/12535
Datalink wrote:The only problem now is that a modem reset will require you to send a pm to @CommunityHelps to disable the SIP/ALG setting again. To possibly avoid that, do the following:

1. Login into the modem,

2. Navigate to the ADMIN..... BACKUP page.

3. Run the Backup function and store the backup configuration file somewhere on your pc.

If you ever have to reset the modem, return to the ADMIN.... BACKUP page, run the Restore function using the configuration file that you have just created and then reboot the modem. Hopefully that also restores any parameters set by @CommunityHelps, which you are unable to accomplish from the user interface

The newest Hitron CODA-4582 modem has an option to disable SIP ALG.

Concerning Bell Hubs,

Typically it's better to have your own router and to stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode:
please-sticky-how-bypass-bell-hub-use-y ... r-1993629/

iii. Properly enable QoS in your router for your computer that's running the Freephoneline desktop app (and ensure no other programs are running on your computer that are hogging bandwidth while using the Freephoneline desktop app). Refer to your router's manual or contact your ISP if you were issued a modem/router combo from them (typically those routers suck and have horrible or absent QoS functions).

I'm not a huge fan of this website, but it suffices for an explanation of QoS: http://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm
Avoid anything it says about the G.729 codec.

iv. If you still get one-way audio issues with the desktop app, you may need to

a) open a ticket and request a "forced registration" with your FPL account: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Select Desktop app-->"account inquiry" as the issue type.
Test again after they perform a "forced registration." If the forced registration works, don't port forward.

and/or

b) port forward, which is a security risk (and not advisable).
The FPL desktop app uses ports 5060-5061,6060-6061,13000-13001 if you're going to port forward for the desktop app (you need to port forward to the LAN IP of the computer you're using. For most home networks the IP will begin 192.168.xxx.x). Refer to your router's manual to learn how to port forward (if your router came from your ISP, contact your ISP).

I would start just by port forwarding 13000-13001 only, which is for RTP (audio packets). If that still doesn't work, you can try adding 6060 or 6061. The most dangerous ports to forward are 5060-5061 and really shouldn't be necessary if you're forwarding 6060 or 6061 anyway. I guess if all else fails, forward all of them: 5060-5061,6060-6061,13000-13001

These are all UDP ports.

5060, 5061, 6060, and 6061 should be alternate SIP ports.

Only port forward if all else fails (and only do it temporarily, since it's a security risk).
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Mar 14th, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.