• May 23rd, 2017 4:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 3, 2012
114 posts
20 upvotes
Barrie

Need cameras at our home

Hello does anyone here know of a good quality yet fairly affordable option for exterior cameras? We want to spend under $500 and need at least 2 cameras.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2480 posts
187 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I just ordered some Blink cameras. The outdoor ones are shipping already however they are not needed if placed under a porch or similar.

If you sign up for newsletter they'll send you a 10% off code.

Really depends on what you're trying to accomplish ie. Read licence plates or see if it's a fox eating your chickens. Good luck
Last edited by hyperactiveme on May 5th, 2017 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1096 posts
218 upvotes
I got a amazing deal a few weeks ago from amazon for the 3 camera pack arlo pro I paid $512.00 plus tax and so far they are very good the no wires makes them very easy to install. Unfortunately the price on amazon has gone back up to $769.99 but I would take a look at them
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1496 posts
255 upvotes
Markham
M-_-C wrote:
May 5th, 2017 10:44 am
I got a amazing deal a few weeks ago from amazon for the 3 camera pack arlo pro I paid $512.00 plus tax and so far they are very good the no wires makes them very easy to install. Unfortunately the price on amazon has gone back up to $769.99 but I would take a look at them
I read these arlo cameras aren't good once below -10degC (most of Canada winter).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7393 posts
1637 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
May 5th, 2017 10:35 am
Nest Cam.
+100%. If you need only 2 cameras, this is the way to go.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1051 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Arlo Pro!

Wireless (in or outdoor)
Oct 21, 2009
197 posts
25 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:01 pm
I too am looking into a set. Costco has the Arlo Pro for 328.99 https://www.costco.ca/Arlo-Security-Sys ... 25001.html
I am worried tho about no wires and that it an be stolen so easily. I also worry about it being only battery operated.
That's why you get two. One camera to point at the other so you can see who stole it.

Just read some reviews on the Costco website. Batteries do not last long. I would rather run a power supply to it and not have to worry about replacing the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7916 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you want good quality cameras you need to spend the money. Also Wireless cameras are not very good and I don't recommend them unless you plan on having the cameras inside the home near the wireless source.

Operating temperature
32° to 122° F (0° to 50° C)
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/default.aspx
Good luck lasting through the winter.

My suggestion would be a Hikvision outdoor rated IP camera for -20c to -30c range. Great quality cameras however they are about $200/each give or take. You could also try buying a kit from aliexpress but you wont have any local warranty.

You get what you pay for, I had a friend that wanted a cheap system and the first winter the camera outside died as soon as it dropped under 10c.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7916 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
That looks a bit better however keep in mind that with these brand name systems you are stuck with using their cameras. So if you wanted to add a 3rd or 4th camera they must be the same brand and compatible with your system. Unlike Open systems like Hikvision and other good ones you have many more options when it comes to cameras.
DIrty-D wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:39 pm
How about this one? https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-4-channel-1 ... 48641.html
POE cameras, good for -30 and under $400
0_o
<_<
>_>
Nov 7, 2012
528 posts
163 upvotes
TORONTO
These arlo cams seem pretty good. Albeit they should be indoors as the -10C isn't going to last here in Canada. I did some research on the batteries and yes these cams do suck up power. But there is a thread in the Netgear forums and majority of arlo users are suggesting nitecore rechargeable lithium batteries for $7 each. They last fairly long as well, I think I read 90 days or something like that. Depending on how many cameras you get you might have to get a few. But being totally wireless this seems like a decent option. But indoor option..... I'm trying to think where I would place these in my house.... one facing front/garage door and another at the back door....
Sep 11, 2006
873 posts
122 upvotes
akswun wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:45 pm
These arlo cams seem pretty good. Albeit they should be indoors as the -10C isn't going to last here in Canada. I did some research on the batteries and yes these cams do suck up power. But there is a thread in the Netgear forums and majority of arlo users are suggesting nitecore rechargeable lithium batteries for $7 each. They last fairly long as well, I think I read 90 days or something like that. Depending on how many cameras you get you might have to get a few. But being totally wireless this seems like a decent option. But indoor option..... I'm trying to think where I would place these in my house.... one facing front/garage door and another at the back door....
With my luck the battery will die just before a break in
[OP]
Oct 3, 2012
114 posts
20 upvotes
Barrie
sickcars wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:25 pm
If you want good quality cameras you need to spend the money. Also Wireless cameras are not very good and I don't recommend them unless you plan on having the cameras inside the home near the wireless source.

Operating temperature
32° to 122° F (0° to 50° C)
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/default.aspx
Good luck lasting through the winter.

My suggestion would be a Hikvision outdoor rated IP camera for -20c to -30c range. Great quality cameras however they are about $200/each give or take. You could also try buying a kit from aliexpress but you wont have any local warranty.

You get what you pay for, I had a friend that wanted a cheap system and the first winter the camera outside died as soon as it dropped under 10c.
Thank you. Where can I buy these hikvision systems? My hubby is quite handy and would be installing it.