Home & Garden

Need cameras at our home

  • Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2017 4:09 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1038 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DIrty-D wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:01 pm
I too am looking into a set. Costco has the Arlo Pro for 328.99 https://www.costco.ca/Arlo-Security-Sys ... 25001.html
I am worried tho about no wires and that it an be stolen so easily. I also worry about it being only battery operated.
Costco is selling the regular Arlo in your link. You want the Arlo Pro! Longer battery life and updated features.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1038 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sickcars wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:25 pm
If you want good quality cameras you need to spend the money. Also Wireless cameras are not very good and I don't recommend them unless you plan on having the cameras inside the home near the wireless source.


Operating temperature
32° to 122° F (0° to 50° C)
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/default.aspx
Good luck lasting through the winter.

My suggestion would be a Hikvision outdoor rated IP camera for -20c to -30c range. Great quality cameras however they are about $200/each give or take. You could also try buying a kit from aliexpress but you wont have any local warranty.

You get what you pay for, I had a friend that wanted a cheap system and the first winter the camera outside died as soon as it dropped under 10c.
Arlo Pro is the updated version - https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arl ... fault.aspx
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1424 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
There is a poster on RFD who posted feedback on the Arlo last year. I cant find the thread but the username rhymed with saucer....anyway IIRC at the time he mentioned he get 4 months out of the batteries in Alberta through the winter. I'd say its not bad.
sickcars wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:25 pm
If you want good quality cameras you need to spend the money. Also Wireless cameras are not very good and I don't recommend them unless you plan on having the cameras inside the home near the wireless source.


Operating temperature
32° to 122° F (0° to 50° C)
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/default.aspx
Good luck lasting through the winter.

My suggestion would be a Hikvision outdoor rated IP camera for -20c to -30c range. Great quality cameras however they are about $200/each give or take. You could also try buying a kit from aliexpress but you wont have any local warranty.

You get what you pay for, I had a friend that wanted a cheap system and the first winter the camera outside died as soon as it dropped under 10c.
The operating temperature you quoted is for the indoor base hub. The original Arlo is rated to -10C and the Pro is rated to -20C
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 3, 2012
109 posts
17 upvotes
Barrie
I think I would like to go with a wired cameras guys. I dont want to have to change batteries. Where can I buy hikvision for less?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jan 5, 2003
195 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
DIrty-D wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:39 pm
How about this one? https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-4-channel-1 ... 48641.html
POE cameras, good for -30 and under $400
I have that $400 Lorex LNR110 NVR with 2x 3MP PoE cameras from Costco because I was too lazy to put together a "Chinese Hikvision" system.
It worked too good! Within 2 months we caught this loser trying to bust down our door:


I had thought 2 cameras was fine but you actually need a lot more and buying additional cameras from Lorex isn't practical financially.

The good thing about this system is it can display at 1440P and there are no online fees. I'm not sure if NEST, Arlo, etc will ever be capable of that?

Since this incident I have upgraded my home security and also invested multiple systems like the Ring Pro Doorbell.

Rice
Member
Sep 9, 2008
370 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga
With wired cameras, how are you guys running the cables? I was thinking of doing this as well, but running the cables sounds like a huge pita.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2006
2645 posts
207 upvotes
RiceKing wrote:
May 15th, 2017 2:49 pm
I have that $400 Lorex LNR110 NVR with 2x 3MP PoE cameras from Costco because I was too lazy to put together a "Chinese Hikvision" system.
It worked too good! Within 2 months we caught this loser trying to bust down our door:


I had thought 2 cameras was fine but you actually need a lot more and buying additional cameras from Lorex isn't practical financially.

The good thing about this system is it can display at 1440P and there are no online fees. I'm not sure if NEST, Arlo, etc will ever be capable of that?

Since this incident I have upgraded my home security and also invested multiple systems like the Ring Pro Doorbell.

Rice
Very nice quality video. Were you able to provide this to the police towards obtaining an arrest of any sort?
Sr. Member
Jan 18, 2012
567 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
RiceKing wrote:
May 15th, 2017 2:49 pm
I have that $400 Lorex LNR110 NVR with 2x 3MP PoE cameras from Costco because I was too lazy to put together a "Chinese Hikvision" system.
It worked too good! Within 2 months we caught this loser trying to bust down our door:


I had thought 2 cameras was fine but you actually need a lot more and buying additional cameras from Lorex isn't practical financially.

The good thing about this system is it can display at 1440P and there are no online fees. I'm not sure if NEST, Arlo, etc will ever be capable of that?

Since this incident I have upgraded my home security and also invested multiple systems like the Ring Pro Doorbell.

Rice
$hit!!!
Sr. Member
Apr 26, 2003
665 posts
123 upvotes
That video is crazy. The thing is about cameras is it's always an "after the fact" measure of security. That guy spent quite a bit of time hacking at the door and that's because the layout of the house and the entryway allowed him to stand there without being noticed easily from the street. It's quite recessed so he had a lot of time to try to break in.

I guess he didn't notice the camera above the door?

To the homeowner of the video, what kind of front door do you have? Does it have windows in it?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2006
2645 posts
207 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:42 am
That video is crazy. The thing is about cameras is it's always an "after the fact" measure of security. That guy spent quite a bit of time hacking at the door and that's because the layout of the house and the entryway allowed him to stand there without being noticed easily from the street. It's quite recessed so he had a lot of time to try to break in.

I guess he didn't notice the camera above the door?

To the homeowner of the video, what kind of front door do you have? Does it have windows in it?
Definitely not a preventative for a thief that already has planned to hit your home, but with strategic camera placements, he may have been able to pull the plate on the car and given it to the proper authorities?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jan 5, 2003
195 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm no professional but I used a $7 siding removal tool from Home Depot to hide the wiring.

Image
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jan 5, 2003
195 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
exrcoupe wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:42 am
That video is crazy. The thing is about cameras is it's always an "after the fact" measure of security. That guy spent quite a bit of time hacking at the door and that's because the layout of the house and the entryway allowed him to stand there without being noticed easily from the street. It's quite recessed so he had a lot of time to try to break in.

I guess he didn't notice the camera above the door?

To the homeowner of the video, what kind of front door do you have? Does it have windows in it?
Your correct about "after the fact". The Lorex motion detection feature via email/text is too sensitive so it's useless. Massive FAIL on my part for not ensuring the safety of my family properly before getting the cameras. *This video is shorten. He initially looked at the camera 3x then went to talk to his driver and came back.

The loser first rang the bell 2 doors down but my neighbour answered the door. He asked if "Patrick" was there. Police arrived 25 minutes after 911 called. They caught the driver of the stolen car and after a month they arrested the loser. He has over 50 warrants! It's all a joke to them. They will be back and we will be ready.

Door has no windows. There is a side window next to the door jamb strike plate so I had to be careful not to use 3" screws.

Mistakes:
1. My family pretended not to be home until he was busting down the door.
2. Did not upgrade the door jam. I should have done it when I took possession from the builder.
3. Did not arm the alarm system. We now do this even if we are home.

I won't list all my upgrades but we had a locksmith install a peephole, Door Guardians, double check hinges and Bolt Buddies on all doors.


Rice
Images
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2006
2645 posts
207 upvotes
RiceKing wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:17 pm
Your correct about "after the fact". The Lorex motion detection feature via email/text is too sensitive so it's useless. Massive FAIL on my part for not ensuring the safety of my family properly before getting the cameras. *This video is shorten. He initially looked at the camera 3x then went to talk to his driver and came back.

The loser first rang the bell 2 doors down but my neighbour answered the door. He asked if "Patrick" was there. Police arrived 25 minutes after 911 called. They caught the driver of the stolen car and after a month they arrested the loser. He has over 50 warrants! It's all a joke to them. They will be back and we will be ready.

Door has no windows. There is a side window next to the door jamb strike plate so I had to be careful not to use 3" screws.

Mistakes:
1. My family pretended not to be home until he was busting down the door.
2. Did not upgrade the door jam. I should have done it when I took possession from the builder.
3. Did not arm the alarm system. We now do this even if we are home.

I won't list all my upgrades but we had a locksmith install a peephole, Door Guardians, double check hinges and Bolt Buddies on all doors.


Rice
I'd say a job well done and it had a happy ending.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel

Top