• Feb 20th, 2005 11:44 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 18, 2005
55 posts

Need the cheapest possible way to get from Geneva to Cologne and back

Hey,

Maybe someone can help me out with this. I'm going to be in Switzerland for a 3 month exchange (leaving beginning of march) and I really want to go to cologne to visit some family for 2 or 3 weeks, most likely at the beginning of April. I need to get there and back from Geneva for as little $$ as possible. Any suggestions re. trains, planes, etc.?

Many thanks in advance,
Rod
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2862 posts
80 upvotes
Oakville
266 Euros all taxes included, direct round trip flight with European Air Express.
I doubt you'd find much cheaper if you decide to fly (1h45 flight)
[OP]
Feb 18, 2005
55 posts
Thanks!

I found a return flight with germanwings.com for 171.50 swiss franks (virtually on par with the dollar), but it flies to/from zurich... is there a cheap/easy way to get from geneva to zurich (airport) and back... preferably under $100 CAD?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2862 posts
80 upvotes
Oakville
Very good deal. The problem is going to be to get to Zurich.
There's the train, but according to http://www.raileurope.com, it looks like it costs about C$80 each way.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2005
55 posts
are student rates 1/2 the price of regular rates... or are they cheaper yet?
Feb 8, 2005
152 posts
4 upvotes
ISIC is around 30-40% off, I believe. When I was in Hungary last year, it was definitely 30%... also might require you to be under 26.

If you plan to travel a bit (even 5 journeys total), then getting a railpass here in Canada will save you a LOT of money. Go to TravelCuts and inquire on their rates.

The Railpass is only not worth it if you head to Central/Eastern Europe.