• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2007 3:06 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 5, 2006
145 posts
Richmond Hill

need a contractor to build sept. entrance for basement

my parent want to make a sept. entrance to the basement apt., any recommend contractor for a reasonable price and nice job? any contractor here want to take this job? thanks for the help......
20 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1602 posts
41 upvotes
Do you have a regular underground basement? If so, that sounds like it would be a tough job with a lot of work involved.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
plugpull wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 12:43 am
my parent want to make a sept. entrance to the basement apt., any recommend contractor for a reasonable price and nice job? any contractor here want to take this job? thanks for the help......
Make sure you have a permit to do so.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2006
145 posts
Richmond Hill
Capt. wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 2:16 pm
Do you have a regular underground basement? If so, that sounds like it would be a tough job with a lot of work involved.
yes, i already have a regular basement....maybe need to dig the ground to make one...(separate entrance)
[OP]
Apr 5, 2006
145 posts
Richmond Hill
gman wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 2:22 pm
Make sure you have a permit to do so.
i hope the contrator will get the permit for me....
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4150 posts
268 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
plugpull wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 10:25 pm
i hope the contrator will get the permit for me....
Make sure that's written into your contract. Once obtained the permit needs to be posted on site.
-
Alarms, Cameras, Vacuums, GDOs, TVs, Home Automation and other electronics. This is what I do. phand.ca
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
1134 posts
17 upvotes
If you dont mind, when you have the info can you post the price for this kind of job?

Reason I ask is because when we moved the house had a seperate entrance and it was one of the selling features, but didnt really know how much it really costed them and was worth. Would like to know if possible.

Im guessing at least 10k?

[OP]
Apr 5, 2006
145 posts
Richmond Hill
what if the city dont' release the permit?
i know many people did it without the permit....
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
If work was done without a permit, you risk the town coming by asking for you to take it all down.
adding a new entrance, below ground is not straight forward, it requires extra drainage, and your foundation which previously was in the 4' frostfree dept, will now no longer be due to the hole. Insulation needs to be added at the bottom of the stair well etc.
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4036 posts
598 upvotes
Kitchener
to get a permit, you'll have to get an structural engineer to do drawings first and a site visit... another $2k added. Where are you located?
Mar 22, 2003
968 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
plugpull wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 12:43 am

Just remember before you get ANYONE, make sure you check at least 5 references of past work they have done.

Dealz-4-U wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 11:53 pm
If you dont mind, when you have the info can you post the price for this kind of job?

Reason I ask is because when we moved the house had a seperate entrance and it was one of the selling features, but didnt really know how much it really costed them and was worth. Would like to know if possible.

Im guessing at least 10k?

Most people charge around 7-10K to add a door in the basement.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2006
145 posts
Richmond Hill
Drthorne wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:09 pm
to get a permit, you'll have to get an structural engineer to do drawings first and a site visit... another $2k added. Where are you located?
i'm located at markham....what if the city don't approve the permit, do i still have to pay for the $2000?
[OP]
Apr 5, 2006
145 posts
Richmond Hill
Nightgod wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2007 4:54 pm
Just remember before you get ANYONE, make sure you check at least 5 references of past work they have done.

Most people charge around 7-10K to add a door in the basement.
does $7000 to $10000 including they paid for the permit?
do the contructor pay for the permit or me up front?
Sep 30, 2007
59 posts
1 upvote
Markham
Markham no longer approves seperate entrances.. Not even your contractor will be able to get you the permit... and not worth doing it.. if someone complains, your screwed.. if your insurance co. finds out, your screwed...

plugpull wrote:
Nov 5th, 2007 7:27 pm
does $7000 to $10000 including they paid for the permit?
do the contructor pay for the permit or me up front?
Nov 26, 2006
73 posts
2 upvotes
2 houses on my friend's street in Markham just recently put in separate entrances. They dug out dirt and created a separate entrance. If they no longer issue permits how are they allowed to do this?
× < >