• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2008 10:17 am
Tags:
None
Feb 20, 2005
48 posts
2 upvotes

Need Contractor to Install Tankless Water Heater

I want to buy the Bosch Aquastar tankless water heater from Lowes to replace my leaking 40 gal. power vented water heater. Unfortunately Lowes does not offer installation service for tankless installation.

I think I need the horizontal power venting kit for the Bosch which is another $300. Not 100% sure, but my main concern is finding a contractor who knows how to convert from tank to tankless and have the tankless installation done well.

Also, would like an estimate of how much it will cost for the installation. I live in the Thornhill/Richmond Hill area. TIA
49 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4156 posts
268 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
You should call some plumbers and HVAC companies that service your area as this can somewhat fall under both of their categories.

They will be able to come by and provide you with an estimate as to what is required.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Jan 10, 2007
252 posts
7 upvotes
Last week or so I got a flyer in the mail and it was all about rebates for converting to a tankless water heater. I will look to see if I still got it when I return home but it may have been put in the recycling box and picked up. Anyway make sure you investigate the rebates involved.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3329 posts
383 upvotes
Valleywood
I got the same flyer today from EnWisePower.com. They are offering the Rinnai tankless units.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11100 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
You should pay attention to the location requirements as well. For my Bosch tankless heater, my cousin installed it in a corner with the intake on the west wall and the exhaust on the north wall. The tank itself is mounted inside a small Ikea kitchen cabinet on the west wall.

The $300 vent kit is not powered, as far as I know. I purchased the vent kit from HD for about the same price and it is definitely not powered.
Feb 20, 2004
66 posts
fastlayne wrote:
Mar 6th, 2008 2:55 pm
I got the same flyer today from EnWisePower.com. They are offering the Rinnai tankless units.
Has anyone got the Rinnai tankless system in their home from Enwise or anyone else? Any comments about costs, installation and system in general?
Mar 17, 2008
102 posts
103 upvotes
Oshawa
lightning wrote:
Mar 18th, 2008 2:34 pm
Has anyone got the Rinnai tankless system in their home from Enwise or anyone else? Any comments about costs, installation and system in general?
Hi lightning,

I have the same question. I just received a quote from Sears fo the Rinnai R75LSi natural gas model for $2,950, all in....including all installation.

It sounds high as the units I believe (still checking) cost around $1,100 to $1,200. Yes there is the now $500 ecoENERGY Retrofit rebate (Federal and Provincial combined), but still.....that sounds high.

Curious of any users experience with this brand / model and installers in the Toronto area so I can compare.

Many thanks!
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14317 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
My plumber told me that unless I am staying in the house for 15+ years, I won't realize much savings in using a tankless system.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1155 posts
146 upvotes
North York
Enwise quoted me anywhere from $2000-$3000 to install the Rinnai (after the rebate). It also includes removal of your existing water tanks, and a 10 year parts and labour warranty.

I also called McKinney Plumbing/heating and the guy quoted me $3000 right off the top.
Apr 21, 2004
816 posts
43 upvotes
Pickering
Yeah, it's $3000 for everything with Rinnai R75LSi. I'm having it installed today. But we're gonna rent it for now since I'm pretty much gonna see how it meets our needs before buying it outright.

I'll post up some pics after it's in.
Apr 17, 2007
111 posts
9 upvotes
Gatineau
Was in the market to replace my watertank also, was planning to go tankless.
There are restrictions of it, it has to be away from your fresh air intake, and there is quite a bit of heat created from the exhaust pipes so you need to use special pipes for exhaust cannot use your old water tank ones. One has to maintain it also clean the filters etc, service it, if you are not handy not a good idea either. Also depends if you go with gas or electric, if electric then you need to pull wires.

And for cost it is around $3000+, yes I know the tankless doesnt cost that much, it is actually half the price but hvac or other contractors add double the cost for putting it in. Not to mention if you buy a rinnai, takagi from ebay or somewhere, your warranty is void if it is not put in by a professional certified person.

I could have put it in myself but do I want to waste $1500 if things go wrong.

So finally just went with a 50GL watertank (Bradford White) and it works like a charm, since it only cost me $795 for it, and I could replace 3 of them for the price of one tankless.

I think tankless is great but not with this cost.
Feb 20, 2004
66 posts
Regin8r wrote:
Mar 19th, 2008 7:36 am
Yeah, it's $3000 for everything with Rinnai R75LSi. I'm having it installed today. But we're gonna rent it for now since I'm pretty much gonna see how it meets our needs before buying it outright.

I'll post up some pics after it's in.
Thanks. I look forward to hearing more about it. Here is something I've found, which may have been circulating somewhere in the forums here or elsewhere ...I can't recall.

Its an article by Mike Holmes on tankless systems:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... RealEstate

So far the best deal I've found is from Enwise Power Solutions ...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11100 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
ChemicalBoy wrote:
Mar 19th, 2008 10:43 am
Was in the market to replace my watertank also, was planning to go tankless.
There are restrictions of it, it has to be away from your fresh air intake, and there is quite a bit of heat created from the exhaust pipes so you need to use special pipes for exhaust cannot use your old water tank ones. One has to maintain it also clean the filters etc, service it, if you are not handy not a good idea either. Also depends if you go with gas or electric, if electric then you need to pull wires.

And for cost it is around $3000+, yes I know the tankless doesnt cost that much, it is actually half the price but hvac or other contractors add double the cost for putting it in. Not to mention if you buy a rinnai, takagi from ebay or somewhere, your warranty is void if it is not put in by a professional certified person.

I could have put it in myself but do I want to waste $1500 if things go wrong.

So finally just went with a 50GL watertank (Bradford White) and it works like a charm, since it only cost me $795 for it, and I could replace 3 of them for the price of one tankless.

I think tankless is great but not with this cost.
There's a filter? I've been using a Bosch Aquastar for about 1.5 years and it's been completely maintenance-free. I didn't see anything about a filter that has to be changed. I'll have to look again.

I really don't think the restrictions are any worse than other appliances. I don't think anyone would want the exhaust from an appliance to be near an air intake.

Yes, the exhausted air is hot but the exhaust pipes aren't special. The exhaust pipe has to be made of steel and designed for hot air. These are readily available from plumbing suppliers.
Apr 21, 2004
816 posts
43 upvotes
Pickering
Old Giant 60 Gallon Electric Rental:

New Rinnai 75LSi Tankless:

Now I can finally get around to tiling that area.... :lol:

I might eventually decide to call the city to turn off the main, and have that meter turned around so it's more against the wall. That won't be until much later though.
Feb 20, 2004
66 posts
Do you know if the vent for a tankless water heater can vent close to the furnace vent? Is there any code against venting near it?
audit13 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2008 3:33 pm
There's a filter? I've been using a Bosch Aquastar for about 1.5 years and it's been completely maintenance-free. I didn't see anything about a filter that has to be changed. I'll have to look again.

I really don't think the restrictions are any worse than other appliances. I don't think anyone would want the exhaust from an appliance to be near an air intake.

Yes, the exhausted air is hot but the exhaust pipes aren't special. The exhaust pipe has to be made of steel and designed for hot air. These are readily available from plumbing suppliers.
× < >