None
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver

Need a cost effective/non toxic solution for my Mosquito pond

I hate mosquitos....

I have this pond in the back yard and mosquito clouds are starting to form. Is there any cost effective and non toxic way to eliminate and kill every single one of these lovely creatures? The plants in the ponds have died over winter and there are no fishes, I'm all for dumping anti-mosquito solutions into the pond to make it a mosquito hell. My only concern is I know racoons and neighborhood cats drink from my pond so I dont want animals getting sick. I do keep the waterfall pump going 24/7 to limit stagnant water.

I'm also considering drying out the pond, but I've never had a pond before this so I'm worried the pumps might break if the pond dry out, is this true?

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Some others should be able to give you a better response since I don't know much either. The pond is still a few years away I am sure for me.

Give the pond a good stir right now. Drying it out would work but once you fill it again, you are still right back where you started. Drying out your pond won't hurt your pumps (as long as they are off). Fish are a good option but that requires an additional level of upkeep you may not want. If you don't get a better answer here, try a retailer and hopefully they can give you a good suggestion for an appropriate chemical. I hate mosquitos as well, unfortuantely around here there isn't much you do to stop them.
Dec 3, 2002
517 posts
44 upvotes
BC
Do some googling. I think there's some fishes and stuff you can put into the pond that loves to eat the mosquito larvae.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
As PortWest said, there are mosquito dunks available and they do work. They won't harm the plants at all unlike higher levels of bleach. I doubt though you are seeing mosquitos right now, it's been too cold and the water temps aren't warm enough to support the larvae yet. Ponding friends I have in Van are only seeing pond temps in the 50's currently. I'd venture a guess that what you are seeing now is more like a sand fly which are common this time of year when the soil and grass areas are so wet. And yes you can drain the pond (with the pump turned off!) but be forewarned, it's not always a good idea. If you leave it without water for an extended period of time you may loose your plants. You will also upset the balance of the water and it will take time to get it rebalanced after it goes through it's initial spikes and turns green. You will also need to add a de-chlor after it's refilled...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
What about putting some dawn in it? The soap breaks the water tension causing the larvae to drown.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
rf134a wrote: What about putting some dawn in it? The soap breaks the water tension causing the larvae to drown.
It will also make one hell of a foaming mess when the pump is turned on, probably kill the pump and will in all likelyhood kill any plant life...
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Ordered some mosquite donuts on ebay, 20 for about $25 and each is suppose to last 1 month. Seems like a very good solution thanks!!
Dec 26, 2005
151 posts
[quote="Portwest" post_id="4956578" time="1176645000" user_id="16212"]I
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
CSK'sMom wrote: It will also make one hell of a foaming mess when the pump is turned on, probably kill the pump and will in all likelyhood kill any plant life...
I was thinking a drop or 2, not enough to cause foam. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)