Tags:
None
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1197 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
All you need to do is jam the dryer portion into the duct you already have sticking out of the wall (a lot easier to do with another person). Seal the joint with some foil tape then secure with a gear clamp. You don't want to buy that kit you linked - you'll have 10 feet of pipe jammed between the wall and dryer which will eventually get crushed, fill with lint and start a fire.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1885 posts
288 upvotes
Chances are pretty slim that dryer exhaust will line up with what's sticking out of the wall.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5369 posts
318 upvotes
hoponpop wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:19 pm
All you need to do is jam the dryer portion into the duct you already have sticking out of the wall (a lot easier to do with another person). Seal the joint with some foil tape then secure with a gear clamp. You don't want to buy that kit you linked - you'll have 10 feet of pipe jammed between the wall and dryer which will eventually get crushed, fill with lint and start a fire.
+1 don't get the kit.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1197 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
jrees wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:24 pm
Chances are pretty slim that dryer exhaust will line up with what's sticking out of the wall.
If the person who ran the duct in the wall knew what they were doing, then yes, it will line up. It's a universal height. If extra length IS needed, it would only be a couple inches. The shorter the length and few joints in your dryer's duct, the better the machine will work.
May 7, 2016
223 posts
161 upvotes
All those flexible ducts are not recommended, and if I remember correctly, it is not up to code (don't have time to look for it now), because they collect lint and might start a fire.

You should use smooth metal ducts fastened without screws that extend into the vent and collect lint. It is better to join the pipes with foil-backed duct tape. The vent should be as straight as possible.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1885 posts
288 upvotes
hoponpop wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:53 pm
If the person who ran the duct in the wall knew what they were doing, then yes, it will line up. It's a universal height. If extra length IS needed, it would only be a couple inches. The shorter the length and few joints in your dryer's duct, the better the machine will work.
That'd be great, but again I'm guessing it's not gonna line up properly.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2689 posts
700 upvotes
Paris
I had to perform minor surgery at my parents place on their dryer duct like this. Luckily my Dad left the room under the laundry room unfinished for a workshop so we could manipulate the pipe the 1-3" or whatever it was we needed. A lot of drywall was massacred that day...
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2424 posts
854 upvotes
hoponpop wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:53 pm
Looking at the pic and the height of the dryer receptacle to the dryer vent there's no hope in hell it's gonna line up. Previous owner may have had it on a pedestal.