Pets

Need To Find Closed Vet Practice- No Idea Where To Start

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 4:08 pm
[OP]
May 17, 2017
2 posts

Need To Find Closed Vet Practice- No Idea Where To Start

This is a fricking weird question and I have no idea where to even start so I thought I would ask the internet lol. My husbands grandmother died recently and left us to care for her Pittbull mix dog. We weren't close to her and hadn't seen her in years so were a little surprised by the request. My LL is asking for vaccination records, which we can't find amongst his grandmothers things. We are hoping to find out more about the dog as well, age, when she is due for her next shots, if she's ever given birth, been fixed, etc. We know literally nothing.

We know for a fact that his grandma went to the same clinic for years for all her pets but that the practice closed down a few years ago. From what his mother says, she thinks that the vet moved to another part of Ontario and still practices. No idea if that's true or not and I know it's a long shot but his mother thinks if we could find some clinics/vet names it would "ring a bell" and if she recognizes a name, perhaps we can track down the vet and see if they kept any digital or physical records from their old practice.

What we know is the vet was in Eastern Ontario, his grandmother is from Pembroke but we are fairly sure the vet wasn't IN Pembroke.

Is there any way for us to find out WHICH practices have closed in the last few years in Eastern Ontario?

Are we screwed? How would anyone even find this information.
6 replies
Dec 23, 2015
28 posts
8 upvotes
Rabies vaccination information is required to get a dog license. I would try and contact the municipality where the dog's license was issued and they should be able to provide the vaccine date and the name & address of the vet that administered it.
[OP]
May 17, 2017
2 posts
6060842 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 7:52 am
Rabies vaccination information is required to get a dog license. I would try and contact the municipality where the dog's license was issued and they should be able to provide the vaccine date and the name & address of the vet that administered it.
hey thanks! I never even thought of that. Sorry this is our first time owning a dog, not sure how it works. I'm not sure if she ever got a dog license though? Is that required to own a dog? I'll call the municipality today and see if they have anything on record.

As far as finding out more info on the dog, is there any hope in finding a closed down vet practice? How the heck would I go about that? I mean obviously we'd like access to the dogs records and I have a feeling she gave birth at some point too. I imagine there can't be too many vets within an hour or two to Pembroke/Ottawa that have closed down in the past few years, it shouldn't be hard to figure out. I wonder if I call around to other local vets maybe one of them would have an idea?
Dec 23, 2015
28 posts
8 upvotes
Yes, a license is required. The municipal office should be able to help and if not you could try contacting the nearest humane society for assistance. If you still have no luck then yes, maybe some other vets in the area may have inherited some clients from a vet that has left the area and may be able to provide contact information.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
437 upvotes
Agreed, a licence is required.

However, many people do not license their dogs - well, until they are caught.

Plan B if your grandmother did not purchase a licence for her dog, if you know the name of the pup's vet you could always try calling the Ontario Veterinarian Association. But my feeling is that you do not know the vet's name.

Plan C - any competent vet would be able to pretty much tell if the pup had had puppies. He/she could also vaccinate the pup with all required shots - hopefully your landlord would find that to be sufficient.
Jul 25, 2008
678 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
Do you know if the dog is microchipped? You can take her to any clinic and get them to scan her for you and if it scans, then you should be able to get a lot of information from that.

I also remember reading a CVO document that veterinarians receive and they would list new corporations, retiring vets, newly licensed vets, etc, so I believe the CVO would have information on that. In order to practice in Ontario, your corporation needs to be registered with CVO I believe.

cvo.org
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3285 posts
1224 upvotes
Edmonton
If the dog is a female, any vet should be able to find the scar to confirm.

If the clinic closed down "years ago" and that's the only place she took the dog to, then the logical assumption is that the dog's vaccinations are not up-to-date.

Frankly, I'd just take the dog to a vet local to you (preferably with recommendations by other dog owners), and tell them the situation. Get them to give you as much info as you can, and suggestions for next steps. They can probably give you rough ideas of the dog's age, too. Shelter dogs often don't have a history available, so they're used to making best guesses, I'm sure.

C