• Aug 30th, 2011 12:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
3 posts
Ottawa, Ontario

Need to get packages dropped off at front door - DHL, Purolator

I've ordered a large number of parts from DirectCanada, and they've been fairly helpful. Some of the parts are being shipped from Toronto, and since I live in Ottawa (Manotick, specifically), they'll be here, worst case scenario, in about a week depending on when they ship.

However, thing is, some of them are shipping from Vancouver, and no one will be in the house to pick the packages up. I know DirectCanada ships with Purolator and DHL, not sure of others. I emailed their customer support regarding the issue, and they told me they require a signature for security reasons. Because DirectCanada often splits shipments, picking packages up is very difficult, as none of Purolator's facilities are anywhere near my house. In many cases, I'd have to take public transit, which, depending on the size of weight of the packages, might well be impossible. DHL has closer facilities, but it is still a concern.

Is there a way to authorize drop-off delivery? Or at the very least, delivery to a neighbor, alternate address, or local post office? Does this method still work, or will I have to call the courier company?
7 replies
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
3 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, if they do end up shipping Canada Post, it heads to my post office, which I can just walk to. No worries there.

I did find two forms for authorizing shipments with an on-file signature - one for Purolator and one for DHL - do they work? Or could I just ask the couriers who come in this week about it?
Oct 22, 2006
586 posts
324 upvotes
Ontario
If you miss a delivery with DHL, they will leave a notification on your door. There is a section that you can sign on it and they will leave the package at the door the following day when they try delivering again.

Purolator doesn't leave a notification (that's what I was told about a month ago, but this was for an apartment).
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
13731 posts
16376 upvotes
Not sure if this will help you with your current order because you will need to go into one of their locations and fill out a form, but Purolator has a 'SNR' (signature not required) sticker you can put on your front door so the next time Purolator drops off a package, they simply scan the barcode on that sticker that links to your name/account

You can learn more about it here. You can either get one-time use stickers or a multiple use sticker that will work for every shipment you receive.
http://www.purolator.com/products_services/snr.html
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
3 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
That form should work just fine if it's shipped Purolator, and as for DHL, I suppose I can just fill out the card when they leave it, so thanks! Are you sure there isn't a form method for DHL as well, though?
Nov 16, 2009
197 posts
13 upvotes
Ottawa
Purolator has left every package I've ever gotten from them @ the front door and AFAIK it was on first delivery attempt
× < >