None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto

Need a GOOD obstetrician who delivers at North York General

Alright the doctor I had found who had great reviews at RateMds.com and delivered at North York General is fully booked on my due date (May/10) > :( Not many doctors on that site delivers at this hospital and those who do usually has bad reviews. My had an awful experience when I was pregnant with daugther #1 and would like this pregnancy to go wonderfully without waiting in line for 2-3 hours during each visit. Can anyone suggest a doctor who they dealt with AND delivers at North York General. The reason it needs to be there is I will be staying with my parents during the last few weeks of my pregnancy due to tradition and DD was born their as well so it'll be nice to bring another little monster...I mean angel from the same hospital. :cheesygri

My wish list for the perfect OB would be:
-Delivers at North York General Hospital
-Short waiting times, they actually see you when you make the appointment not 3 hours after.
-Has polite/friendly receptionist (I feel quite strongly about this as they can either make your day or pi$$ you off) And being pregnant I don't need to add more stress to my days.
-The doctor is knowledgeable and takes time to answer any questions/concerns, and maybe even shows up to deliver the baby. (Unlike my last OB)

Am I asking for too much? We have waited almost 8 years after having our first born to have this little one, and I just want everything that went wrong with my last OB to corrected with this one.
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 26, 2002
9332 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations for you that fits within your criteria, but based on our experience with our first baby, our OB Dr. Jeremy Wong, would *not* be a good choice, even though he is an excellent, highly-skilled and very knowledgeable doctor.

Reasons:

- Typical long waits - Appointments are booked half an hour before the OB is scheduled to arrive in the mornings, so right off the bat they are half an hour behind already. And if the OB is called into the hospital for an emergency, then the poor pregnant women are left waiting in the small waiting room for hours.

- Unfriendly receptionists - Their phone manners are terrible and I always wonder how they can be hired by Dr. Wong when they are so bad?!?

- OB always in a hurry - I understand he is trying to be efficient (and probably wants to clear out the wait that results in scheduling patients half an hour earlier!) but we always have questions to ask, and getting him to not run off after the examination is always a challenge. That said, he is very knowledgeable and he does explain things once you get him talking. And he does try to personally deliver your baby.

Good luck with your search.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1167 posts
151 upvotes
North York
you are asking too much! why not try a midwife? might suit your needs better.

pretty much all the chinese OBs will be super busy (Paul Shuen, Man Fan Ho, Dennis Chu, Jeremy Wong).

You could try some of these: Elyse Lackie, Nicholas Pairaudeau, Derek Shiletto, Kirsten Smith

Who have you tried thus far that is not accepting you?

the waiting room game w/ OBs is the same with all of them, pretty much if their patients are delivering, they gotta leave the office. Nothing you can do about that. Also if they aren't on call, and it's past midnight and you deliver, then it'll be whichever OB on call is there (since it's your second one, you might deliver so quickly that your OB doesn't have time to get to the hospital).
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12877 posts
574 upvotes
royaljelly wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 1:07 pm

pretty much all the chinese OBs will be super busy (Paul Shuen, Man Fan Ho, Dennis Chu, Jeremy Wong).

You could try some of these: Elyse Lackie, Nicholas Pairaudeau, Derek Shiletto, Kirsten Smith

the waiting room game w/ OBs is the same with all of them, pretty much if their patients are delivering, they gotta leave the office. Nothing you can do about that. Also if they aren't on call, and it's past midnight and you deliver, then it'll be whichever OB on call is there (since it's your second one, you might deliver so quickly that your OB doesn't have time to get to the hospital).
That would have been my suggestion...however, for a midwife you may be too late in your search. Usually by a month into your pregnancy it is difficult to find a midwife (or OB) as they book up very quickly.

We did prefer the midwife route experience with our second...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
royaljelly wrote:

Really? I had more to add to my list but those were the most important ones. :o

I'm not too sure about a midwive as I had a emergency c-section with baby #1 and will likely to just go this route with baby #2. Aren't midwives for more natural birthing methods? I have tried a hand of Ob who I liked from reading previous patients reviews from ratemeds.com and either they are full or do not deliver at North York general. I guess I forgot to mention it doesn't have to be Chinese, as I'm not Chinese myself (south east asian). I was hoping to get some names of good doctors from here but if I don't find something by end of this week I might change my preferred hospital and get a doctor that fits my other requirements.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1144 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
mmhassa2 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 2:11 pm
I'm not too sure about a midwive as I had a emergency c-section with baby #1 and will likely to just go this route with baby #2. Aren't midwives for more natural birthing methods?
Not at all... midwives have 'staff access' to specific hospitals. You can have whatever birth you want with a midwife, at home or at the hospital.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1167 posts
151 upvotes
North York
I know a few very good OBs at Scarb General hospital if you're willing to go there (one of them is actually a friend of mine).
Jul 26, 2007
72 posts
Toronto
Hello,

Dr. Wideman is a family doctor who works out of the Sunnybrook family practice. She does her deliveries out of North York General. Though I cannot guarantee her wait times will always be short, she is truly an excellent, compassionate individual who will take time to look after you and your baby.

Down sides: As she works in a teaching practice, there is likely a resident (trainee physician) who will be involved in your prenatal care and delivery.

Good luck.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
phatmanmd wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 6:39 pm
Hello,

Dr. Wideman is a family doctor who works out of the Sunnybrook family practice. She does her deliveries out of North York General. Though I cannot guarantee her wait times will always be short, she is truly an excellent, compassionate individual who will take time to look after you and your baby.

Down sides: As she works in a teaching practice, there is likely a resident (trainee physician) who will be involved in your prenatal care and delivery.

Good luck.
Thank you, but unfortunately I plan on having a dual care throughout the pregnancy to save traveling time. So I will continue to see my family doctor and will be seen by the Ob around 18 weeks and go in when it's needed and ofcourse during the delivery. This way I can continue to see my great family physician in Ajax (whom I'm glad to have found) and still have a OB whom I can use during the later part of my pregnancy and delivery.

Hoping I have better luck tomorrow calling up some OBs.
Oct 10, 2005
303 posts
9 upvotes
royaljelly wrote:

I was Dr. Kirsten Smith's patient before switching to midwife. She does deliver at North York General Hospital, her appointments are usually on time or 5-10 minutes late. She does have a friendly/polite receptionist. She does answer your questions but I always felt so rushed with all our appointments. Because of the last criteria, I did switch to midwife but I heard that she's good.

I hope this helps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3815 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
Well I managed to get the list of the Obs who deliver at North York General (15-20) I called every single one of them and even begged but they were all full for May, June and some even for July. Wow getting a OB is harder than getting a wedding hall. Well anyways the one that was LAST on my list, which had bad reviews was the only one willing to take me in. So I settled for him. Really disappointed but atleast I'll be delivering at a hospital that is well prepared for c-sections. I guess we should make a appointment for baby #3 we'll have in the next 3 years. :lol: Well I plan on having dual care and love my family physician so it's not that bad. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Jan 8, 2009
905 posts
126 upvotes
Brampton
Dr. Robert Nicholson satisfies all the points that you mentioned in the beginning except there is no guarantee that he will be there to deliver. He is an excellent doctor with a lot of positive reviews on ratemds.com and our experience is also very positive till now. He alweays meets you on time and answers all the questions. I think the reason with North York doctors not accepting new patients easily is that the area is all surrounded by so many condos and highly populated so the hospital does not have enough beds to accomodate so many patients at one time. We also had a hard time getting a doctor but finally managed to get Dr. Nicholson.
Sep 16, 2007
53 posts
I had a really hard time finding an OB for my second pregnacy as well as my OB for pregnancy #1 i did not like at all. All the highly recommended OBs at NYGH were already booked solid (and i was looking when i was 8 weeks pregnant, right after my initial appointment with my GP). Anyhow, after much research i figured a midwife would best suit my needs and i am thankful for that decision. The midwife group i go to all deliver out of NYGH.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3145 posts
507 upvotes
Dr. Sheun delivered both our kids . We were also his clients from start to finish to that may have help us in terms of having him deliver our child.

EDIT: 7 years later in retrospect, I would not go to him again. What I thought were normal in terms of waiting for him to show up, waiting him for him to do anything is anything but normal. Often times I think he waited too long before delivering my boy. He induced labour and then didn't show up again until my wife and child showed high fever, over heating . Right after that, he decided to do an emergency C-section.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
slim_shady wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 2:16 pm
Not at all... midwives have 'staff access' to specific hospitals. You can have whatever birth you want with a midwife, at home or at the hospital.
My understanding is that as soon as any drugs are requested, a MD has to take over the delivery. So in essence, even if you have a hospital birth with a midwife, it has to be "natural" if you want her to be in charge.
× < >