• May 8th, 2017 11:34 am
Tags:
Dec 17, 2011
290 posts
141 upvotes
OTTAWA

Need help

Good morning everyone,

I've been out of the game for years for a cellphone plan and I really need some guidance.

I'm changing jobs and my new employer doesn't cover cellphones so I'm on my own.

I haven't paid for a cellphone since school and that was less than half the current prices on Rogers.com for the same plan.

I'm in an area where the cheaper plans like Freedom my "zone" isn't inside those plans.

I also need 4gb or more for data.

What's my best bet? So far I see Public Mobile for $55 a month. Anything better?

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Public mobile is the cheapest for in market plans. But that PM price is ending shortly, not sure if there's enough time for you to get a sim card and get signed up in time. Then it goes back up to $62.

Your other option is to get a Koodo Quebec plan. They're available nationwide, but you have to jump through some hoops.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38385 posts
12009 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You're in Ottawa, I would drive over to Gatineau and get a Quebec plan

No hoops for you. Unless you need a 613 number
Last edited by Gee on May 8th, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 17, 2011
290 posts
141 upvotes
OTTAWA
I'm actually an hour away from Ottawa. Just put that for simplicity on here.

I ordered a sim from Public Mobile. Reading the forum there everyone says wait for the next promo though?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
rbkpwnz wrote: I ordered a sim from Public Mobile. Reading the forum there everyone says wait for the next promo though?
Screw that. Sign up now if you like the current promo. It's HIGHLY unlikely that there'll be a better promo in the next 90 days, and even if there is you can just sign up for it for your next renewal. If you're happy with the current PM promo price, sign up before it's done on Wednesday. People here and there are bitching that the $40/4GB promo didn't come back, but there's no guarantee that promo is *ever* coming back. All the providers are jacking up their prices, so I can't see PM bringing back a plan that cheap ever, to be honest. Plus, it also was timed pretty well to take the wind out of (no pun intended) Wind/Freedom's LTE network announcement.

Edit: although, if you just ordered the sim now, you may not get it in time to sign up for the promo. It ends on Wednesday, and they've said they're not going to extend sign-ups for folks that ordered sims before the deadline if they don't get in by the deadline.
Dec 17, 2011
290 posts
141 upvotes
OTTAWA
wearysky wrote: Screw that. Sign up now if you like the current promo. It's HIGHLY unlikely that there'll be a better promo in the next 90 days, and even if there is you can just sign up for it for your next renewal. If you're happy with the current PM promo price, sign up before it's done on Wednesday. People here and there are bitching that the $40/4GB promo didn't come back, but there's no guarantee that promo is *ever* coming back. All the providers are jacking up their prices, so I can't see PM bringing back a plan that cheap ever, to be honest. Plus, it also was timed pretty well to take the wind out of (no pun intended) Wind/Freedom's LTE network announcement.

Edit: although, if you just ordered the sim now, you may not get it in time to sign up for the promo. It ends on Wednesday, and they've said they're not going to extend sign-ups for folks that ordered sims before the deadline if they don't get in by the deadline.
Yea I was planning on signing up anyways. I may be SOL.

Is it 165 with tax and fees??
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7846 posts
8794 upvotes
rbkpwnz wrote: Yea I was planning on signing up anyways. I may be SOL.

No, the PM plans do not include HST in the advertised pricing.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
rbkpwnz wrote: Yea I was planning on signing up anyways. I may be SOL.

No fees, but it's $165 + tax. If you sign up for autopay, you get $2 off per 30 days, so it'd be $159 + tax. And then you can work on getting referrals to sign up, or community rewards (it's trivially easy to get an extra $1 off a month on their forums). My last renewal had $42 worth of rewards applied from referrals, autopay, and community rewards. It's pretty awesome.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)