• Feb 1st, 2009 11:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 12, 2009
719 posts
9 upvotes

need help 400+ fee for shipping by ups-ibuypower

hey i was getting a computer from ibuypower for like 1100 with shipping of $90.
so when it got here, the ups guy asked for 350 dollars!!!.

i was like what?!?!?!!? i payed for shipping!!!
he told me about tax, brokage fees and custom

i want to get rid of the comptuer by returning it, (i refused to accept it, he says he will return the computer)

whats gonnna happen, what should i do? i know i still have to pay for ups fees, ($ 90x2 for returning since ibuypower doesnt refund shipping, but what about the tax and other stuff)

what happens?

quick respose plz

(this is computer from us to canada)
lol, i thought there was free trade between us and canada, whats going on
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9919 posts
6251 upvotes
Edmonton
Sogeking wrote:
Jan 27th, 2009 8:57 pm

i want to get rid of the comptuer by returning it, (i refused to accept it, he says he will return the computer)

whats gonnna happen, what should i do? i know i still have to pay for ups fees, ($ 90x2 for returning since ibuypower doesnt refund shipping, but what about the tax and other stuff)

what happens?

quick respose plz

Your first mistake was getting it sent up by UPS. Do a google search on "UPS Canada broker". Since you don't have the shipping invoice, I'd guess most of the charges are UPS brokerage fees, and have nothing to do with free trade, taxes or customs. Sorry to break it to you. Never ever ever get things shipped up by courier unless you VERY carefully check it out. USPS is slow, but safe.

Since you didn't get the computer, you shouldn't have to pay the $350 (IMHO). In the future, buy local or Canadian, or ship USPS.

Clint
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2798 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Sogeking wrote:

what happens?

So why does the message header indicate $400+ fee, while the body of the message indicates $350?

Do you actually know what the charges from UPS are or just guessing?

To Ontario, GST and PST would account for about $186 in taxes, plus brokerage fees for customs clearance of likely about $50-70, given the exchange current rate.

Did you not expect to have to pay any taxes because it was purchased from the US?
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Yep, using UPS was the mistake.

At most there was 15% tax on your purchase, so $180 (that goes to the government, you have to pay that). That means UPS is trying to screw you out of $170+ ON TOP of already being paid for shipping the item.

Brokerage fee's are basically bogus 'handling charges' for crossing the border.

They don't base it on weight, they base it on value. It's a complete screw job because a high value 1lb package might cost 5x the brokerage vs a 25lb low value package. They try and maximize the money they can squeeze out of you. It has nothing to do with any service they provide.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2690 posts
755 upvotes
Sogeking wrote:
Well, around 143 of that will be tax. GST & PST (are you in Ontario?)

There may be duty if the computer is not made in the US: if it's made in China and brought into the US, then sent to Canada, that doesn't fall under free trade: we don't have free trade with China.

That might account for another $50 to $75... but I can easily see UPS charging brokerage fees of upwards of $100.

I learned long ago not to have anything shipped via UPS cross border. I think you've learned that same lesson the hard way.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2798 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
lorax1284 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2009 9:42 pm
Well, around 143 of that will be tax. GST & PST (are you in Ontario?)

There may be duty if the computer is not made in the US: if it's made in China and brought into the US, then sent to Canada, that doesn't fall under free trade: we don't have free trade with China.
Take the cost of the computer and the shipping cost of $1190 x 1.2 for the exchange rate in CDN $ to get the imported value, then add on the taxes due for what ever province.

And yes, as it was likely not manufactured/assembled in the US, there may have been duty applied as well.
Jan 25, 2007
925 posts
58 upvotes
"Posts: 1 "

"Yep, using UPS was the mistake. " You can't always pick how your supplier ships. So "using" anyone is a silly idea.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9919 posts
6251 upvotes
Edmonton
dvdguy wrote:
Jan 27th, 2009 10:20 pm

"Yep, using UPS was the mistake. " You can't always pick how your supplier ships. So "using" anyone is a silly idea.
Dunno about that... Anytime I order something from the States, I confirm what shipping method they will use. If they will only ship UPS, I'll find another vendor or buy from Canada. So unless there was a company that would only use UPS and was the only vendor, I can pick how my supplier ships.

Clint
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
dvdguy wrote:
Jan 27th, 2009 10:20 pm

Which is why I usually refuse to buy from anyone in the US that only ships UPS. You can ask who they use.

If I'm forced to use UPS I always use expedited or express. The irony of that is that you pay no brokerage on that service level and most of the time it works out cheaper than standard service after brokerage fees. Plus you get it overnight air as a bonus.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2009
719 posts
9 upvotes
srry for the late response, k here is the price.
around 90 for shipping from ups standard (guys at ibuypower charged me this)
and around 320 for 'import charges'
import fee is gst 230, brok fee 85, brok gst 5

so total shiping price is like 410

isnt usps only for mail, and i was not given that option, only differet ups, like standard, express, etc

can someone tell me how usps is cheaper and also how to order next time from us

if i stay in canada, and get parts from other province, is there also tax?,

Some of you guys are telling me its okay to get from ups if its in canada (like if i decide to get computer from tigerdirect online) what fees are there then?

thanks for your quik replys

also any good links relating to this would be appreciated
Jun 23, 2004
528 posts
7 upvotes
Beautiful Downtown S…
Anything sent here USPS ( United States Postal Service ) ends up in the hands of Canada Post. They have a flat fee of $5 to "broker" anything valued under $10,000 Canadian. This alone would have saved you $80 plus gst.
Many times when buying online , even if it is not offered, you can request a quote for shipping USPS and they will oblige.
Dec 12, 2005
926 posts
86 upvotes
GTA
Sogeking wrote:
Jan 29th, 2009 7:38 am
srry for the late response, k here is the price.
around 90 for shipping from ups standard (guys at ibuypower charged me this)
and around 320 for 'import charges'
import fee is gst 230, brok fee 85, brok gst 5

so total shiping price is like 410
GST is $230? Are you sure about that? That means the value for customs of your computer is $230/0.05 = $4600. Are you sure the correct value was declared?
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Shojin wrote:
Jan 29th, 2009 8:32 am
GST is $230? Are you sure about that? That means the value for customs of your computer is $230/0.05 = $4600. Are you sure the correct value was declared?
Yeah, something is wrong here.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42673 posts
3242 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Shojin wrote:
Jan 29th, 2009 8:32 am
He probably meant "tax" not just GST.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Jan 12, 2009
719 posts
9 upvotes
it says gst,when its supposed to say tax, so what is the brokage fee if i get from within canada, from ups