• Feb 1st, 2009 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
FroogleDude wrote: Our UPS driver that comes by daily told me that if I ever get a package with such a hefty "brokerage fee". He says to tell them that you will take care of the "brokerage" yourself. You gotta drive down to the airport and fill out the paper work yourself. Has anybody tried this? At $350, it's worth the trip. Image
But in this case, it's not actually $350. It's 90 in brokerage fees and GST on those fees, plus $230 in GST. The GST you'll have to pay in any case. So you'll save the $90, which may or may not be worthwhile.

Clint
Banned
Jan 23, 2009
270 posts
CNeufeld wrote: But in this case, it's not actually $350. It's 90 in brokerage fees and GST on those fees, plus $230 in GST. The GST you'll have to pay in any case. So you'll save the $90, which may or may not be worthwhile.

Clint
Right, if he's close... probably worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2806 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
CNeufeld wrote: But in this case, it's not actually $350. It's 90 in brokerage fees and GST on those fees, plus $230 in GST. The GST you'll have to pay in any case. So you'll save the $90, which may or may not be worthwhile.
The OP is in Ontario, so that $230 would be including 5% gst plus 8% pst on the insured value of the computer, although he indicated it was only gst.

With the package coming from California, point of entry to Canada was probably Windsor, so the item would have to clear customs at that location.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Sogeking wrote: lol, i thought there was free trade between us and canada, whats going on
You didn't do your homework ahead of time, that's what's going on.
Jan 12, 2009
723 posts
10 upvotes
ya it landed windsor, i cant drive there and fill some paper work. :(