Need help for best negotiation tactic for trading my car for a new one

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 7:55 pm
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
865 posts
154 upvotes

Need help for best negotiation tactic for trading my car for a new one

Here's my situation. I have a 2015 Jeep that just came off the factory warranty with around 46,000 km.

I am interested in a 2018 Jeep as the discounts seem pretty good as the 2019s are out now. Dealers seem to be wanting to get rid of their 18s.

How do I negotiate the trade in? I know I could maybe get a bit more money privately selling my current Jeep but the hassle is not worth it for me. Would rather trade.

So if I have a number I want for my trade in value (is the Canadian black book value a good number to want to get?), And I have a number I want to pay for the new Jeep, how do I go about doing this?

I would have thought I should get my trade in value first and then negotiate the new Jeep's price? But I'm not sure.

I also plan to call multiple dealers and get their best price on new similar Jeeps to show the dealer what I can get the car for elsewhere.

Please let me know if you have any other advice?
20 replies
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3574 posts
3370 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They are either going to rape you on the trade in or they are going to rape you on the new car. The only way to get the best of both is to buy the new one and sell privately.
Mar 3, 2018
595 posts
358 upvotes
GTA
If they sense a good trade in will close the deal you will get it. However there will be little discount off the new car. Rather then focusing on the trade in negotiate the out the door cost. The amount you write a cheque for after trade, tax and BS fees. Compare that will different dealers. The guy who thought he got the best trade can have a bad deal overall.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8645 posts
7295 upvotes
Oakville
Best deal is to keep your existing Jeep, even if you have a few repairs. Not sure why you'd want to upgrade, unless you need to upgrade to the 4 door version. Jeeps Wranglers are great if you're off-roading, terrible on the road. Basically any other SUV is better in every respect (except for looks subjectively).
Hopefully your new Jeep would be put together properly... this year, many were sold with unwelded subframe/suspension components.
Last edited by engineered on Jan 6th, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3562 posts
1276 upvotes
Toronto
Just set a number for your car before you go in. I thought I would get ripped off on my trade in 2 months ago, but I got higher then expected for my used car plus got all the factory and dealer discounts for the new car.

Do your homework before and make sure to ask questions here before making a deposit.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1724 posts
878 upvotes
Markham
What your 2015 Jeep is will make a difference in how much you're getting hosed.

Patriot and Compass - Expect a big low ball, also worthless on the private market, you're getting hosed for selling these. Only dump if you hate them which is a high possibility...but then I'd question why go back to Jeep.
Cherokee - Same problem as above, just different reputation as in this one people expect a tranny failure rather than it just being plain awful.
Renegade and Grand Cherokee - Reputations for both are less checkered as the above 3, you can negotiate to lose less money but still might not be worth selling as neither are have great resale.
Wrangler - Should sell privately, these are almost worth more than any dealer trade-in value and they know it. This is the only common FCA product that loses very little.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3574 posts
3370 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 2:11 pm
Best deal is to keep your existing Jeep, even if you have a few repairs. Not sure why you'd want to upgrade, unless you need to upgrade to the 4 door version. Jeeps are great if you're off-roading, terrible on the road. Basically any other SUV is better in every respect (except for looks subjectively).
Hopefully your new Jeep would be put together properly... this year, many were sold with unwelded subframe/suspension components.
Can't tell the difference between a well-maintained 10yr old Wrangler and a brand new one from the outside. That's one of the benefits of owning one.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1360 posts
1246 upvotes
GTA
Dealer is not going to pay you retail price for your 2015. How are they supposed to make any money like that? Why would they even buy it?

You choose convenience and accept the wholesale price, or you put in the work and sell privately to get the full retail price.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1842 posts
383 upvotes
THORNHILL
Expect dealer to offer you 25-30% of what you paid for your car.
Just tough it out and keep it 46 000km is new to most.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1495 posts
340 upvotes
Mississauga
Just don't forget .. if you sell it privately you loose out on the tax benifit on the new purchase.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
865 posts
154 upvotes
derass wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 3:38 pm
Dealer is not going to pay you retail price for your 2015. How are they supposed to make any money like that? Why would they even buy it?

You choose convenience and accept the wholesale price, or you put in the work and sell privately to get the full retail price.
I meant I would want them to give me Black Book value trade in cost. Obviously they are not going to give me retail.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8645 posts
7295 upvotes
Oakville
1C5 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 7:04 pm
I meant I would want them to give me Black Book value trade in cost. Obviously they are not going to give me retail.
So what kind of Jeep is it? Unless it's a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee, I can't imagine anyone buying one of the other Jeeps and going back to buy another.
Jan 12, 2013
420 posts
313 upvotes
Halifax
1C5 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 7:04 pm
I’ve tried to use Canadian black book as a negotiating tool before and every time the dealer basically doesn’t give a crap. They say that it doesn’t give an accurate representation of “real world demand” for your vehicle and how long it’ll sit on their lot until it sells again. I’d expect less than black book. I have no idea where they get their values from. Only way you’ll know is by going to the dealer tho..
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
865 posts
154 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 9:28 pm
So what kind of Jeep is it? Unless it's a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee, I can't imagine anyone buying one of the other Jeeps and going back to buy another.
SRT
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8645 posts
7295 upvotes
Oakville
1C5 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 9:37 pm
SRT
So why get rid of it? It's basically new.