• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2017 12:07 pm
[OP]
Mar 13, 2006
61 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver

need help buying a new camera

I am interested in learning about photography and i want to buy a new camera, my budget is between $400-700. I am a new mom and I would like to learn to take nice pictures , it would be basically family pictures, trips and outside activities.
I am planing to take some classes but first I need to get a decent camera. A friend is telling to buy a Nikon D3400 or something similar. Any tips would be appreciated.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11357 posts
1000 upvotes
Kanata
Nikon D3400 is a good start. Same with the Canon T6.
One thing to pay attention to is the lens that can be purchased later on. Does the nikon or Canon system offer something that you may want later on, that is affordable to you?
Ideally, you would go and get your hands on a camera to play with, to see which feels better in your hand, and the controls are where it makes sense for you.
For mirrorless, there are other options as well. I'm not as well versed in mirrorless as I've just got my first mirrorless camera and just getting used to it.
Jun 26, 2004
457 posts
113 upvotes
I think your best bet might be to check Kijiji for someone selling a used DSLR near you. Anything from the last 8 years or so would be a good starting point, and it will leave you with some extra budget to buy a decent lens. The lens is far more important than the camera body IMO, and if you're wanting to take pictures of children, you'll want a decent lens with a nice wide aperture.

Then, if you find you're enjoying photography and want to get something better, you've already purchased a decent lens which is a good chunk of the cost. And if you don't like photography, lenses generally hold their value very well, so you won't be out much if you decide to sell everything.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3228 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Your local used market (Kijiji, Craigslist, etc.) is a great place to look. A gently used, recent DSLR would work well, as would perhaps a Micro 4/3 or a Mirrorless design.
Do you have a knowledgeable local friend / relative who can help you check out used cameras for sale?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1554 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
I think starting with a pocket size camera with manual control will be the easiest way. Something like such as the sony rx100 series of cameras will be a good start.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2103 posts
789 upvotes
GTA
JHW wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 9:38 am
Your local used market (Kijiji, Craigslist, etc.) is a great place to look. A gently used, recent DSLR would work well, as would perhaps a Micro 4/3 or a Mirrorless design.
+1

From time to time you can find almost new DSLR's listed on Kijiji and similar sites. A friend bought a DSLR last year with approx. 1000 shutter actuation. It came with two lenses, battery, charger box and strap and looked like new. The person who sold it had bought it new, used it for a couple of trips and then decided they weren't really into photography.

As has been mentioned, lenses are very important. Whatever brand you buy should offer good lenses and accessories at a good price. You are buying into a system - switching brands can be expensive. You can always upgrade a camera body or lens down the road as long as you stay with ones designed to work with the brand you have.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1167 posts
230 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
zero_ wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 10:20 am
I think starting with a pocket size camera with manual control will be the easiest way. Something like such as the sony rx100 series of cameras will be a good start.
You really have to consider where you will or will not be taking your camera, and how you will be carrying it.

Most of my camera usage these days is when "out and about." I take it hiking, biking, etc. I never wanted a bulky DSLR that required a backpack to carry, but I did want a camera that had all the manual controls, and did not bury the most used controls 3 or 4 button presses deep in a menu. Some people do not mind the size and weight of a DSLR, but it was just not for me.

Several years ago, I ended up with a Canon G11, and I have been very happy with it. It looks like the Canon PowerShot G5 X is a comparable current offering.
Apr 20, 2017
218 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
I start learning photography with Canon EOS Ti3, which costs me around 500$ at that time. I think Canon EOS series is a good DSLR camera to start.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2704 posts
167 upvotes
Interested in the D3400 but I want a telephoto lens . Not sure if to buy a better camera body only and add a telephoto lens .
Feb 1, 2015
599 posts
129 upvotes
MB
pfbmgd wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 5:22 pm
Interested in the D3400 but I want a telephoto lens . Not sure if to buy a better camera body only and add a telephoto lens .
It always comes down to money.
A D3400 combines with either an AF-S VR or an AF-P telephoto lens should be fine.
If you're wiling to spend more on a body that has a built-in focus motor, then look at the Nikon D7000 series.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2704 posts
167 upvotes
catoun wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 8:53 pm
It always comes down to money.
A D3400 combines with either an AF-S VR or an AF-P telephoto lens should be fine.
If you're wiling to spend more on a body that has a built-in focus motor, then look at the Nikon D7000 series.
I`m hoping to stay under the $900 with tax .
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6555 posts
899 upvotes
Budget is a bit low for an a6000 but may be doable with a used or wait for sale.

This is a very related thread on the same topic,

new-camera-need-advice-2115160/
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9513 posts
3645 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Ely wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 2:05 am
I am planing to take some classes but first I need to get a decent camera... Any tips would be appreciated.
Don't wait, you should challenge yourself to take better photos as it's not differences in modern gear that will give you the biggest strides. It's composition and understanding light. The latter is often said and can be a bit ambiguous. Basically for people, make sure their face is lit and there is no mistake they are the main subject. If the person or group does not stand out the most, is not the brightest or in focus, do something to fix or improve it.

These pics illustrate it well because they are B&W, the mother simply posed her or asked her to do an action that puts her in the best light.
http://mymodernmet.com/caroline-jensen- ... -daughter/

Take for example this pic in the series, the flashlight bounces light off the paper into her face "shaping with light".
Or the window pics in the link, her face is towards the window and/or in the direction of the dynamic sun rays/shadows.

You can also use contrast, notice the girl is in a light coloured dress against dark grass, it 'pops' her out in the photo:

You don't have to make B&W's, but if you turn your photos temporarily into B&W, you can see where the majority of the light is.

Back to the first point of composition, here's a quick vid, and you can find lots of the same:

I am not trying to completely downplay the importance of gear but a lot of times, people buy a fancy camera and they suddenly realize their pics are no better than before. Your plan to take formal classes is a great start.
Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7069 posts
423 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 6:04 pm
Don't wait, you should challenge yourself to take better photos as it's not differences in modern gear that will give you the biggest strides. It's composition and understanding light. The latter is often said and can be a bit ambiguous. Basically for people, make sure their face is lit and there is no mistake they are the main subject. If the person or group does not stand out the most, is not the brightest or in focus, do something to fix or improve it.
For things like Vacation, do you apply the same rules? Lighting is obvious but what if it's just you and your travel partner and you want a picture of them in front of something? Do you just use the rule of thirds?

I know composition is important but I find it challenging because my partner does not understand composition "properly". He assumes that good composition is him int he center of the photograph with either too much or too little sky in the background.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11357 posts
1000 upvotes
Kanata
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 7:41 am
For things like Vacation, do you apply the same rules? Lighting is obvious but what if it's just you and your travel partner and you want a picture of them in front of something? Do you just use the rule of thirds?

I know composition is important but I find it challenging because my partner does not understand composition "properly". He assumes that good composition is him int he center of the photograph with either too much or too little sky in the background.
I operate the camera, so I will use the rule of whatever applies to that scene and how I want to capture it. My wife has learned to understand my reasoning for taking the pictures in the manner that I do, and she really likes it now that she understands better.