• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2017 12:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7069 posts
423 upvotes
goofball wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 9:05 am
I operate the camera, so I will use the rule of whatever applies to that scene and how I want to capture it. My wife has learned to understand my reasoning for taking the pictures in the manner that I do, and she really likes it now that she understands better.
It sucks when I want a picture of myself and the image is terrible :(

LOL
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11357 posts
1000 upvotes
Kanata
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 9:15 am

LOL
So very true. Learn to be camera shy!
That said, you could always ask for a wider photo, then crop to fix it later.
Most people think my wife is a single mom, judging by the amount of pictures I'm in.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9526 posts
3648 upvotes
Southern Ontario
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 7:41 am
For things like Vacation, do you apply the same rules? Lighting is obvious but what if it's just you and your travel partner and you want a picture of them in front of something? Do you just use the rule of thirds?

I know composition is important but I find it challenging because my partner does not understand composition "properly". He assumes that good composition is him int he center of the photograph with either too much or too little sky in the background.
Kind of, if I can't shoot when the arc of the sun is low and sometimes you are bound by when you are at a location, under harsh sun/shadows, and what you want in the background can't really change, you do whatever you can. Find a unique perspective, change your angle a bit, don't always shoot from the same standing position.

Personally I'm not a fan of taking static shots of my family/friends in front of monuments and iconic places on vacation. I like to do candids, street photography, or if I incorporate them, it's them walking or doing something. Whether if there's someone I know in it or not, I always frame my background FIRST.

San Felipe Del Morro, the oldest Spanish fort in the New World:

My daughter just having fun at the beach, I don't know the people in the back but like the colours so I blur them out with a big aperture. I could have actually moved to the left a bit so her head is framed more by the sky:

It's all personal taste, photography is subjective and the main thing is that you have fun, like what you capture on vacation, and it invokes your own fond memories. The more you do it, the more you pay attention to nuances and follow or not follow rules. So knowing the rules is the first step to breaking them.

[OP]
Mar 13, 2006
61 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
Thank you all for the tips. I can't wait to get a new camera ....BTW AncasterRFD your pictures are awesome
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3131 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
Ely wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 12:26 am
Thank you all for the tips. I can't wait to get a new camera ....BTW AncasterRFD your pictures are awesome
Agreed.. great shots @AncasterRFD - do you post your photos on Instagram or Flickr or something?
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1459 posts
39 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 9:15 am

LOL
Alot of the great pictures that my family/friends have on their FB/Instagram were all taken by me. The pics that has me is very "BLEH".

I am going to Hawaii and I have decided, I will no longer be missing in picture.

I will be using DSLR, tripod, 15ft usb cable, OTG cable adapter, aDslrDashboard app and my phone. With the app on my phone hardwired to the DSLR, I will be able to monitor, adjust camera settings and take picture without needing to be behind the camera.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7915 posts
2049 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ely wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 12:26 am
I'm a fan of Ancasters work as well!