Careers

Need help from CFIA employees, who's taken the organizational values test (OVT)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 8:11 pm
Tags:
Nov 17, 2013
17 posts
9 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
There has been no pool posted for Developmental/EG-1/EG-02 for Ontario, only out West for now. Certain regions of Canada are moving to the new inspection model as a trial. CFIA does things very slowly to ensure things are done so as not to interfere with industry, trade, and the financial well being of our economy. Please ensure you receive updates for federal government job postings as the postings are usually only up for 2-7 days.
Mar 4, 2014
87 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
thanks, for your information! the only way i can see the open position, is to check often into the public service job website, that means i have to keep looking more often to the portal.
Feb 20, 2016
8 posts
What are you guys studying to prepare for the Inspector position? I am a vet in Brazil, I still don't have my license in Canada, but I have the proof of my education as they require. I applied for Developmental meat inspector and primary inspector position that opened in January. I am just having a hard time to know exactly what should I study for, what kind of knowledge do they expect you to have already and what will they provide. Only the basic, like anatomy, physiology or should I get into the actual inspection, if so, is there another source besides of CFIA website where I can find material to study for the inspection in Canada?
Mar 4, 2014
87 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Are you legaly alowed to work in Canada?
The CFIA considers applications from individuals who have legal status to work in Canada and does not give preference to Canadian citizens
If yes, you can apply for CFIA Veterinarian positions!
Feb 20, 2016
8 posts
anisaem wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 4:19 pm
Are you legaly alowed to work in Canada?
The CFIA considers applications from individuals who have legal status to work in Canada and does not give preference to Canadian citizens
If yes, you can apply for CFIA Veterinarian positions!
Yes, I am a Canadian Citizen. I can't apply yet for the vet position because I have to pass the National Examining Board of the CVMA to be able to work as a vet in Canada because I graduated in Brazil. But for the Inspection position, I only need a proof that I have an education related to the job. So I have a credential evaluation from a Canadian institution saying that I graduated in Veterinary Medicine in an accredited institution in Brazil.
It's been hard to prepare for the position, I don't know exactly what should I study first and where to find. I've been using CFIA website and Wilson's Practical Meat Inspection Book. There is not much on the internet about inspection in Canada besides CFIA website.
Jul 31, 2015
25 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Hi,
Has anybody heard anything back from CFIA regarding the Primary Inspectors and Development Inspectors competition that closed at the end of January. Has anyone got invitation for the tests?
Thanks
Feb 20, 2016
8 posts
Lentinus wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 12:12 pm
Hi,
Has anybody heard anything back from CFIA regarding the Primary Inspectors and Development Inspectors competition that closed at the end of January. Has anyone got invitation for the tests?
Thanks
Nothing yet! Just waiting too.
Mar 4, 2014
87 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
TiagoWack wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 6:33 pm
Yes, I am a Canadian Citizen. I can't apply yet for the vet position because I have to pass the National Examining Board of the CVMA to be able to work as a vet in Canada because I graduated in Brazil. But for the Inspection position, I only need a proof that I have an education related to the job. So I have a credential evaluation from a Canadian institution saying that I graduated in Veterinary Medicine in an accredited institution in Brazil.
It's been hard to prepare for the position, I don't know exactly what should I study first and where to find. I've been using CFIA website and Wilson's Practical Meat Inspection Book. There is not much on the internet about inspection in Canada besides CFIA website.
I believe for meat inspection, for you veterinarians will be easier than for others, since you know the anatomy. You can not say what to specifically study, It would bee good for you to study, and get some training on the HACCP principles, or Prerequisites programs, since these are the basics for Food safety and food industry. The CFIA documents, are really good to study and understand. Because being an Inspector has a wide range of specialities, it has to be by group products: meat and Fish, then milk and dairy industry, Fresh vegetables, Animal health and welfare, Plant health. Since you are a vet. you will be more suited to animal health and welfare and meat inspection!!
I hope it helps
Good Luck
Mar 4, 2014
87 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Lentinus wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 12:12 pm
Hi,
Thanks
I got an invitation for further assessment for this process, it was for Alberta. They are selecting, and they will create the pool for the part-time positions and will select from this pool.
Read the posting for the assessment method that they are using.
Good luck to whom will be selected.
Feb 11, 2013
97 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal
Hi Tiago. I have been living here in Canada and in QC the last 15 years of my life. I am Uruguayan Vet and Meat Inspector in UY. I have been participating at different levels at CFIA interviews play rolls, exams since 2009. At different provinces in CA. I work today at private industry with they CFIA inspectors and I met Veterinarians that's are Canadian board licence and they are graduated from overseas universities. ALL OF THEM have to study again at the university. You can go ahead with the NA exam but watch out, look carefully the people that are working in the field how they catch up the licence. You have to do the clinics, all of them !!! and each one cost several thousand dollars. Focus at inspection level, is realistic and is very good job or go ahead with the university, level exam and study there to have your Canadian licence. NAVLE works only for veterinarians that study here we have to go through different way.
Feb 20, 2016
8 posts
Chicagoglobetroter wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 8:59 pm
Hi Tiago. I have been living here in Canada and in QC the last 15 years of my life. I am Uruguayan Vet and Meat Inspector in UY. I have been participating at different levels at CFIA interviews play rolls, exams since 2009. At different provinces in CA. I work today at private industry with they CFIA inspectors and I met Veterinarians that's are Canadian board licence and they are graduated from overseas universities. ALL OF THEM have to study again at the university. You can go ahead with the NA exam but watch out, look carefully the people that are working in the field how they catch up the licence. You have to do the clinics, all of them !!! and each one cost several thousand dollars. Focus at inspection level, is realistic and is very good job or go ahead with the university, level exam and study there to have your Canadian licence. NAVLE works only for veterinarians that study here we have to go through different way.
Hello, thank you for the answer!!
So, yeah it's not an easy process, I have been working on it for long. I have other brazilian friends trying as well, actually, my currently boss is a brazilian vet and he passed through all the process. I hope to be able to get my license soon.
So, about the interviews, what kind of questions did they asked you???
Feb 11, 2013
97 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal
TiagoWack wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 6:12 pm
Hello, thank you for the answer!!
So, yeah it's not an easy process, I have been working on it for long. I have other brazilian friends trying as well, actually, my currently boss is a brazilian vet and he passed through all the process. I hope to be able to get my license soon.
So, about the interviews, what kind of questions did they asked you???
ok is different in each province. here in QC you have to go back to school. The questions and interviews are different, depends, for EG2 is not the same than EG4, and completely different an interview in QC than in ON. Be more specific and I will help you
Feb 20, 2016
8 posts
Chicagoglobetroter wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 10:06 pm
ok is different in each province. here in QC you have to go back to school. The questions and interviews are different, depends, for EG2 is not the same than EG4, and completely different an interview in QC than in ON. Be more specific and I will help you
Well, I applied for the EG02 position for Developmental Meat Inspector. It's for the west of Canada. So I don't know if in the interview the questions will be more question to evaluate your personality or technical questions to evaluate your level of knowledge related to the job. And if is one or other, do you know what kind of questions they usually ask you when they want to evaluate your personality and what kind of technical questions would be?
Thank you!!!
Nov 17, 2013
17 posts
9 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I am going to be very blunt, to those of you who keep asking what's on the test, what kind of questions, I don't know what to study, what did they ask you.....

1. Are you sure the people you are asking for help are able to help you? Have they gone through the interview process and been HIRED by CFIA!
2. Until you are asked to participate in a interview, you cannot fully prepare nor can you ask for help on a message board.
3. A public servant who works for the CFIA cannot tell you what is on a test, nor what questions a hiring manager will ask. It is an Ethical Violation.
4. I suggest that you spend some time on the CFIA website, everything you need to know is available to you at your fingertips. And by the way, CFIA has three business lines: Animal, Plant, and Food. All of the answers to your questions are on the Website.
5. We expect operators in Canada to be able to interpret, apply, and comply with Acts and Regulations. Can you?

Listen, it is not easy getting hired by CFIA. It takes time, knowledge, experience, independence, and being asked to attend an interview is only the first step. An experienced hiring manager is capable of screening out the people who just don't have what it takes. Sorry for being so blunt people, but I keep seeing the same questions over and over and over.
Feb 11, 2013
97 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal
TiagoWack wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 9:39 pm
Well, I applied for the EG02 position for Developmental Meat Inspector. It's for the west of Canada. So I don't know if in the interview the questions will be more question to evaluate your personality or technical questions to evaluate your level of knowledge related to the job. And if is one or other, do you know what kind of questions they usually ask you when they want to evaluate your personality and what kind of technical questions would be?
Thank you!!!
Well EG02 is not complicated, is focus on your personality and how you drive. And exactly what is your experience in slaughter unit. Working with them I can see is rutine activity. EG03 you have to do the job of EG 02 AND follow up the QA system, interact with QA company coordinator, owner... and the exam that usually is roll play is the EG04. EG04 usually is not at slaughter house. EG2 and 3 work with the Veterinary The CFIA interviewer play a roll as a client and you have to drive situations and finally make a report.