• Dec 12th, 2012 8:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 15, 2012
62 posts
6 upvotes

Need help choosing a phone from Rogers

So I spoke to retentions and got the activation / early upgrade fees removed and the following prices on the phones I was interested in:

Samsung Galaxy S3: $56 (including taxes)
LG Optimus G: $112.98
Nokia Lumia 920: $56
iPhone 5: $202
HTC Windows Phone 8X: $33

I'm most reluctant to pick up the iPhone 5 just because it's a b it out of my budget - didn't really want to spend more than $100, but considering the LG Optimus G is newer and faster than S3, I don't mind throwing a bit more down. I really do like the S3's sleek design and overall that phone has been given a lot of props, the only issue is, I'm afraid a new model is right around the corner. Some models come out at short as 8 months, and considering the S3 has been out since May, it might only be a few months before the S4 pops up. I know the LG Optimus just recently came out, and apparently it's one of the first phone to have LTE w/ a Snapdragon S4 quad core processor, however not every review has been stellar.

I prefer the Windows 8 interface over Android and iOS, but I've heard really crappy things about the battery, especially in the Lumia 920 (some people saying it died after 4 hours of video testing, others saying it didn't even last them a day on moderate usage). If anyone owns the HTC or Lumia 920, please do let me know your experience.

Finally, if anyone recommends other models to check out, please let me know - I don't want an older generation iPhone because that means after 2 years when I'm elegible for an upgrade - I'll be 3 generations behind - I like to stay as up to date as possible. Nexus 4 was a nice alternative but, in usual Google fashion, they botched the release and I honestly don't have the patience to keep checking multiple times a day to see if it's in stock.

Thanks everyone!
16 replies
[OP]
Nov 15, 2012
62 posts
6 upvotes
That article looked promising - but some people in the comments section said it hasn't helped with their battery issues. I'm hoping that it's more of a software issue with WP8 and not the hardware (which to me seems more plausible since the HTC model is also suffering from battery issues)
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2516 posts
91 upvotes
sirjerry wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 7:07 pm
So I spoke to retentions and got the activation / early upgrade fees removed and the following prices on the phones I was interested in:

Samsung Galaxy S3: $56 (including taxes)
LG Optimus G: $112.98
Nokia Lumia 920: $56
iPhone 5: $202
HTC Windows Phone 8X: $33

I'm most reluctant to pick up the iPhone 5 just because it's a b it out of my budget - didn't really want to spend more than $100, but considering the LG Optimus G is newer and faster than S3, I don't mind throwing a bit more down. I really do like the S3's sleek design and overall that phone has been given a lot of props, the only issue is, I'm afraid a new model is right around the corner. Some models come out at short as 8 months, and considering the S3 has been out since May, it might only be a few months before the S4 pops up. I know the LG Optimus just recently came out, and apparently it's one of the first phone to have LTE w/ a Snapdragon S4 quad core processor, however not every review has been stellar.

I prefer the Windows 8 interface over Android and iOS, but I've heard really crappy things about the battery, especially in the Lumia 920 (some people saying it died after 4 hours of video testing, others saying it didn't even last them a day on moderate usage). If anyone owns the HTC or Lumia 920, please do let me know your experience.

Finally, if anyone recommends other models to check out, please let me know - I don't want an older generation iPhone because that means after 2 years when I'm elegible for an upgrade - I'll be 3 generations behind - I like to stay as up to date as possible. Nexus 4 was a nice alternative but, in usual Google fashion, they botched the release and I honestly don't have the patience to keep checking multiple times a day to see if it's in stock.

Thanks everyone!
Go with the 920 then. Every device has some isolated issues that affect some people. I don't think Ive heard any stories about widespread defects with the 920.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1466 posts
157 upvotes
Samsung Galaxy S3
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3228 posts
342 upvotes
You cant beat the S3 for that price
[OP]
Nov 15, 2012
62 posts
6 upvotes
Should I possibly wait it out 4 months and pick up the new flagship Samsung model when it comes out?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2516 posts
91 upvotes
sirjerry wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 11:44 pm
Should I possibly wait it out 4 months and pick up the new flagship Samsung model when it comes out?
Theres always something better coming soon.
Jan 22, 2010
703 posts
70 upvotes
NARNIA!, jk Toronto
mariokarter wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 12:12 am
Theres always something better coming soon.
Once a year :P If you're like me you won't get a phone unless it's been less than 3 months after the release. 4 months = wait for next years model :P but that's just me
Mar 15, 2006
187 posts
28 upvotes
sirjerry wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 11:44 pm
Well in 4 months the new Samsung would be $200 and the Note 2 would likely be $50-100. 4 months won't do you any good unless your budget goes up or you're aiming for the Note 2
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1152 posts
137 upvotes
Thornhill
I would not consider a S3 at this point. There has been multiple occassion throughout the past 2-3 months that you can get that phone for $0.

I would get it if it is $0 , otherwise I would pick up the Nokia if I am in your place.
I did quite a bit of testing and liked the phone a lot. It was easy to pick up and the phone felt right with the weight. The only beef I have was the down right poor quality with the indoor / outdoor shot.
Nokia said they were going to fix this issue, but I just can't go with it as there is no ETA.

Which is why I returned the phone and picked up the Notes 2 instead.
Nov 29, 2011
725 posts
127 upvotes
Milton
Picking something popular will help with support.

I recently got the Xperia T which I love, but if there's a downside it's that selection of cases and tech support is incredibly limited. Having come from an iPhone 4, if you needed a new case or had an issue, you barely had to try to find 100 options.

Whether you go with the S3 or wait until the S4, you know you'll have a lot of options and help since I believe the S3 is currently the top-selling phone in the world. I'd imagine the Nokia 920 wouldn't be bad off either (but obviously less than the S3), but it it something to consider.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
HTC 8X. You will love it. The design alone beats all other choices including the iPhone.

Or shell out a bit and get the iPhone?
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
× < >