• Apr 12th, 2017 1:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2012 posts
393 upvotes
Scarborough

Need help deciding which portable blower to buy for car/computer

I have been buying those dust can blowers for the longest time, aside from the chemicals and non-environmentally friendly they seem to be I've always had nothing but great success with them because they do what they claim and it's just quick and easy to get something cleaned up. I came across a special little toy which claims to do what the air cans do but with much more power and efficiency. The price of about ~$100 would pay for itself considering I spend close to $12 for 3 cans. The product in question is this one;

Metro Data Vacuum ED500 Datavac Electric Duster

It's got 500 watts and .75HP, the reviews are excellent and I'm quite happy with the design and weight of the unit so I was about to pull the plug when I came across a very similar product which has 900 watts and 1.3HP but it's marketed for air drying vehicles and motorcycles. That product is;

Metropolitan Air Force Blaster Sidekick Compact Portable Motorcycle Dryer

Now I shouldn't be fooled by it's marketing ploy directed towards being used for vehicles only because I just can't see why this unit can't be used for on computers. The product is stronger and more powerful and the only thing I found that might not be as intriguing would be the fact that the above product comes with additional accessories for the tip making it easier to get into crevices but this last one doesn't come with such a fine tip.

So I am asking anyone out there who either has any experience or hands-on knowledge if I am better off getting the one that's marketed for computers or switch to the vehicle version which is a few dollars more, more powerful but doesn't have that much of a tip to blow? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will post pics of both units.

Image Image
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4654 upvotes
For a computer I can understand, but for a car?
Wouldn't a compressor make more sense?

For computer use I'd still use a compressor with a desiccant and an air line cleaner unless I needed portability.
I don't buy portability either unless you're doing cleaning while mobile.
If I need to blow out a computer I'm usually dragging it outside so I don't get dust everywhere.
Outside usually means relative close proximity to a garage (assuming a house)
Condo/apartment? Not so much.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2012 posts
393 upvotes
Scarborough
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 8:10 pm
For a computer I can understand, but for a car?
Wouldn't a compressor make more sense?

For computer use I'd still use a compressor with a desiccant and an air line cleaner unless I needed portability.
I don't buy portability either unless you're doing cleaning while mobile.
If I need to blow out a computer I'm usually dragging it outside so I don't get dust everywhere.
Outside usually means relative close proximity to a garage (assuming a house)
Condo/apartment? Not so much.
Believe it or not a compressor isn't as powerful as these little toys. It's like those who think a Food Saver is better than a Vacuum chamber.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2201 posts
870 upvotes
Calgary
I picked up a Metrovac Datavac Pro for @$8x a few years back & it has served me really well for the tasks mentioned & then some. vac suction is awesome for cleaning out computers (& other electronics) indoors & its blow capacity is equally as good - infact so good that I use it to blow out the oster hair clipper & braun shaver (used daily) which I use 1x weekly for the last few years. I'm sure it must have saved me atleast 1/2 the cost of the vac if I were to buy canned compressed air.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1319 posts
396 upvotes
OP, go to Costco and buy yourself this mini blower for $19.97. It is more powerful than the Metrovac but not so powerful that it will damage your electronics. It is better value for your money and it comes with Costco's great return policy. It's been on sale at Costco for the past 3 to 4 weeks and there are still tons left at Costco. This is a small blower, it's smaller than my toaster.

20170410-26.jpg
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4654 upvotes
kennyt18 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 1:15 pm
his is a small blower, it's smaller than my toaster.

20170410-26.jpg
Stupid pictures... I thought this was like the size of a leaf blower.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2012 posts
393 upvotes
Scarborough
kennyt18 wrote:
OP, go to Costco and buy yourself this mini blower for $19.97. It is more powerful than the Metrovac but not so powerful that it will damage your electronics. It is better value for your money and it comes with Costco's great return policy. It's been on sale at Costco for the past 3 to 4 weeks and there are still tons left at Costco. This is a small blower, it's smaller than my toaster.

20170410-26.jpg
I've read about this blower, while the price is absolutely terrific along with the return policy unfortunately the reviews on this product suffer. This sounds like a great item to dry your car but it doesn't come with a proper filter which can cause small particles to enter the machine and spit out (advertised as 222km/h) onto the paint of your car and damage it. The product I was leaning towards has 990 watts of power with 1.35HP, not sure how this converts to airflow speed because this Costco product fails to mention the wattage and HP on anywhere in Google search.

Thanks though, could be useful for other things.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2012 posts
393 upvotes
Scarborough
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 4:14 pm
Stupid pictures... I thought this was like the size of a leaf blower.
Not sure to which product you were referring about the size because the Costco blower is in fact larger than a toaster and more like a leaf blower and the pictures I posted are smaller than a toaster and in the first picture you can see the persons hand holding it towards the laptop indicating the comparison in size.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2012 posts
393 upvotes
Scarborough
kennyt18 wrote:

20170410-26.jpg

Just picked it up for $15 thanks warden and ellesmere lots in stock