Tags:
None
Mar 14, 2010
564 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario

Need Help with Email setup, Domain name vs hosting company

Hi

I'm very new to the website design world and have a question about email :)

I setup a Godaddy Domain name last week(Private+3 years),I don't want to use my hotmail account anymore.

I want to setup my paid email account,but I will be using another company for my hosting(Gator Host or bluehost) to my knowledge they also give email accounts. :?:

So who do I make my email account with(Go Daddy-Gator Host),Also do I lose every email if I change my Host or Domain company.

Is-It common place to only get one email too for domain names

Thank you
6 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
You can get gmail for your domain for free

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

If you are serious about your site, then avoid any hosting that offers "unlimited" space/bandwidth. Othewise, either hostgator or bluehost is fine.

SoundMan wrote: Hi

I'm very new to the website design world and have a question about email :)

I setup a Godaddy Domain name last week(Private+3 years),I don't want to use my hotmail account anymore.

I want to setup my paid email account,but I will be using another company for my hosting(Gator Host or bluehost) to my knowledge they also give email accounts. :?:

So who do I make my email account with(Go Daddy-Gator Host),Also do I lose every email if I change my Host or Domain company.

Is-It common place to only get one email too for domain names

Thank you
The sweetest gyal
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Host Gator and Blue Host does not offer email

They are hosting companies. You point your DNS to their servers and your domain names will be hosted there.

You then setup emails under your domain name. Since you own the domain, they go where you go.

If you switch hosting companies, your email goes with you to the new hosting company.
Mar 14, 2010
564 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
sexyj wrote: You can get gmail for your domain for free

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

If you are serious about your site, then avoid any hosting that offers "unlimited" space/bandwidth. Othewise, either hostgator or bluehost is fine.

I need to sound professional and a hotmail account or a gmail won't work

I will PM you about the hosting for my site as I have more questions
Mar 14, 2010
564 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
Gee wrote: Host Gator and Blue Host does not offer email

They are hosting companies. You point your DNS to their servers and your domain names will be hosted there.

You then setup emails under your domain name. Since you own the domain, they go where you go.

If you switch hosting companies, your email goes with you to the new hosting company.
I'm a very Newbie :) what is a DNS?

So if I setup my email address under godaddy (info@sos-boardz.com)I always have to log into my control panel on Godaddy to check my email and send emails from right.

Can I push the emails to another client like (hotmail or gmail), I have an Iphone 4 and Ipad and would like to check my emails via that like I do now with my hotmail account.

Or do I just set it up on my Iphone like a normal account and it pushes all my new emails to me from godaddys servers

Having a Paid email account is very new to me and really don't know who to ask for these questions :-0
Mar 8, 2010
38 posts
27 upvotes
SoundMan wrote: I need to sound professional and a hotmail account or a gmail won't work

I will PM you about the hosting for my site as I have more questions

You would just be using google apps as the backend. Incoming and outgoing email would be stamped with your domain name email addresses. It's a service that is used by some very large organizations in addition to smaller shops and consultants. There are additional benefits like being able to use gmail email synching features on say an iPhone or Android device without having to mess around with a lot of custom settings.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
SoundMan wrote: I'm a very Newbie :) what is a DNS?

So if I setup my email address under godaddy (info@sos-boardz.com)I always have to log into my control panel on Godaddy to check my email and send emails from right.

Can I push the emails to another client like (hotmail or gmail), I have an Iphone 4 and Ipad and would like to check my emails via that like I do now with my hotmail account.

Or do I just set it up on my Iphone like a normal account and it pushes all my new emails to me from godaddys servers

Having a Paid email account is very new to me and really don't know who to ask for these questions :-0

Once you have a domain, get a hosting company, you will have FULL CONTROL on how you want things done.

Most hosting companies allows you to read email from a web browser using, Horde, Squirrel etc.

The address would be something like this www.sos-boardz.com/webmail

You can also use Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora etc and get POP access. Just set your POP server to mail.sos-boardz.com

The one thing you cannot do is push the email out to an iPhone or iPad. But you can pull it every 15 mins. Hotmail is not pushed either, it is also pulled on an iPhone. To push email, you need something on the server side to actively do the pushing. Unfortunately, Hotmail does not do this.

DNS = Domain Name Server

It tells users looking for your domain where your mail and web pages are hosted

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)