• Sep 27th, 2015 11:37 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 6, 2013
87 posts
13 upvotes

need help finding a rare video card cable in Toronto

Hi,

I want to buy a PCI-e 16X Slot Riser Card Extension Cable, looks like this: https://gyazo.com/6179520cb2e6a497aa62058d3ff8d171
(My video card overheats by a lot, so I need to take it out and put it under a big fan while running my video program - dont buy Alienware X51 lol, heat management is terrible)

Anyway, I have been searching online for a couple of days now, I cant find a store that sells it in Toronto.

Amazon does not ship these cables to my address for some reason, and what few stores sell this type of cable, they sell 1x or 4x or 8x - never 16x. I assume 16x is what I need to retain full video card functionality. I hear these cables are used mostly by bitcoin miners, who dont need full 16x.

Does anyone know a store, or a person, preferably close to Etobicoke, that sells this type of cable?!
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Order it online from aliexpress or someting. Your situation isn't requiring immediate delivery.

In the meantime, you can remove the side panel of your case and have a desk fan blowing air into it.
Heck, why not just do that? It isn't like you can do what you plan to do without leaving the panel open.

edit - ok i googled your desktop... you made a terrible purchase. you should just buy a new case.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
What is your Alienware X51 specs and what are the temp of both the CPU and GPU? I would totally recommend buying a new case IF the back plating to the motherboard isn't permanently part of the case. But if the motherboard is some proprietary crap then it means you will have to replace the case, motherboard, psu and CPU heatsink. Or if you want the ugly and noisy alternative is get a fan and blow into the computer.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Just as an FYI, these cables can be junk. Buy a couple of them because they can and will fail.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
death_hawk wrote: Just as an FYI, these cables can be junk. Buy a couple of them because they can and will fail.
Can confirm. Tried using one of those cables so I could install my GTX750Ti sideways.

Sometimes the PC would fail to boot up. Forcing PCIe2.0 solved the issue, but I still wouldn't trust these things for gaming.

There's an OCNer who tried using PCIe risers so he could mount his PC on the wall (like a painting) who faced similar issues. He was running a multi-GPU setup so turning off PCIe3.0 was not an option so he went for shielded risers: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... &vendor=19

86$ USD + Shipping :(
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
LEXX911 wrote: But if the motherboard is some proprietary crap then it means you will have to replace the case, motherboard, psu and CPU heatsink.
I think he can fit the mobo in a regular case.

The PSU cables might be too short to extend to the further apart components though, but using a riser would cause the same issue with the gfx card being much further away.
Apr 6, 2013
87 posts
13 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: Order it online from aliexpress or someting. Your situation isn't requiring immediate delivery.

In the meantime, you can remove the side panel of your case and have a desk fan blowing air into it.
Heck, why not just do that? It isn't like you can do what you plan to do without leaving the panel open.
i already do that. because of the way the case is made, the airflow cannot get inside in any meaningful way. it helps, but not by much.

And i want a cheap solution. 5-10 bucks for a cable is better then buying a new rig or building a new case.

hence the question.
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
VladK02 wrote: i already do that. because of the way the case is made, the airflow cannot get inside in any meaningful way. it helps, but not by much.

And i want a cheap solution. 5-10 bucks for a cable is better then buying a new rig or building a new case.

hence the question.
If you're determined on going this route. I could sell you one. PM me
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8102 upvotes
OP if you're willing to order from Amazon then what's the issue with Ebay or Aliexpress?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: OP if you're willing to order from Amazon then what's the issue with Ebay or Aliexpress?
Amazon is local. It does have China listings but to me "Amazon" means local and not the Chinese listings.
eBay and Ali are guaranteed China.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8102 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Amazon is local. It does have China listings but to me "Amazon" means local and not the Chinese listings.
eBay and Ali are guaranteed China.
I hate to tell you this, but these things are all made in China anyways.

The only advantage Amazon has is that sometimes the shipping is faster if the seller is US based.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: I hate to tell you this, but these things are all made in China anyways.

The only advantage Amazon has is that sometimes the shipping is faster if the seller is US based.
AliExpress = King of the Mountain
Amazon = Second Fiddle
eBay = dead last and wish they were AliExpress

Anyways many Chinese suppliers are now selling on Amazon after finding out that Americans think they are buying from an American company ! ...LoL
Unless the supplier has paid Amazon to store their merchandise in the US, it's no faster and you pay more on Amazon !
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: I hate to tell you this, but these things are all made in China anyways.
I know everything is made in China but the China "branded" stuff is usually worse as opposed to Chinese produced under contract from a "normal" manufacturer.
An example is a random Chinese cell phone compared to a Google branded cell phone.
The UI is FAR more usable.

This even applies to OP's thing. Someone linked a riser from Digikey. It's probably made in China too but just by looking at the picture it looks higher quality.
The ones from China are SCARY looking. There's literally hot glue all over the damn thing.
Even if the item was identical, faster shipping is a pretty big advantage if you need/want it quick.
I ordered a VGA/audio to HDMI from China. 2 months later and nothing. They gave me a refund but wasted 2 months of my life.
Amazon had one for $8 more ($20 item) and I had it in my hand the next day.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
these bitcoin miner PCI-E Riser cables can kill your gfx card.

they're under $4-5 shipped from China, but i wouldn't trust them. if you must then make sure you get one that is has EMI shielding.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: these bitcoin miner PCI-E Riser cables can kill your gfx card.

they're under $4-5 shipped from China, but i wouldn't trust them. if you must then make sure you get one that is has EMI shielding.
Yes, they really have Bitcoin mines in China with Bitcoin miners !

Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
EdT586 wrote: Yes, they really have Bitcoin mines in China with Bitcoin miners !
They are the real heroes.

Coal miners can just go back to the farmland. Who needs coal when you can get coins? AMIRITE?

Your country is so great, EdT586, who wouldn't want to live there?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)