Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
3993 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto

Need help finding ways to anchor furniture

Where can I buy hardware to anchor furniture to the wall? I got a feeling that my son is going to be a climber, and I want to make sure that I have all the bookcases secured to the wall. I've seen some tethers sold online, but are there any stores that may sell this type of hardware?

If not, any ideas on how I can start securing things? I went to Home Depot to see if I could find any L-brackets but couldn't find anything suitable.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

Buy One, Get One (BOGO) is not a RFD sale, it's only a sale for people that can't do math
5 replies
Jan 9, 2009
132 posts
16 upvotes
Did you try Ikea? I haven't done it myself, but Ikea always has stuff anchored to the wall...so I thought they might sell the stuff to anchor to walls too :)
Oct 31, 2011
60 posts
6 upvotes
EAST YORK
You can try something like this, however this is an US site and I'm not sure if they ship to Canada and sell all their products to Canadian customers.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2011 3:58 pm
If not, any ideas on how I can start securing things? I went to Home Depot to see if I could find any L-brackets but couldn't find anything suitable.
At Home Hardware, in the section where they have door hinges and other hardware, you can find Stanley corner braces that can be used to anchor furniture. You don't even have to screw them into the furniture, if you just mount a couple of them on the wall right on top of the bookshelf. The horizontal part of the brace will prevent the bookshelf from tipping over. I find them to be very sturdy...much better than the cheap anchor straps Ikea provides with some of their furniture pieces.

(Oops, I forgot that I have other furniture on top of the shelving that I installed these corner braces on. So the braces stay mostly hidden. If there's nothing above your bookshelf, then this kind of brace would be completely visible and you may not like the appearance. The advantage of the Ikea style anchor straps is that they're basically not visible. )
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3554 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
Ikea used to give the furniture wall anchors away for free. Part 106990
http://www.ikeafans.com/images/wordpres ... umbers.jpg
The long part goes against the wall and can slide up and down on a screw, then the short part screws on top of the furniture piece.

You can also just screw through the back of the piece of furniture, through a block of wood wedged between the furniture and wall to offset the baseboard, and then through the drywall and into a stud.
× < >