Art and Photography

Need help getting an off camera flash system setup.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2018 4:17 pm
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada

Need help getting an off camera flash system setup.

So I impulse bought the neewer NW600BM strobe. I'll probably be returning it as it's most likely more than I need. I really want to take better people photos and want to set up ocf. I have a 7d mkii and a 580exii flash plus a pile of lenses. Currently selling a 5d mkii to fund this. I'm just an amateur and haven't taken many photos as of late.

I know I need some radio triggers and soft boxes. But I'm pretty lost on the radio triggers and would like some guidance. I like to save money but I don't want to buy garbage that won't work properly. This will be mostly for personal use with family and the odd other photo I get voluntold/volunteer for.

What gear should I be looking at and is the strobe I bought really overkill for home use?

Here's a photo I took to show I'm in the loop in terms of non flash related photography.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Images
  • 153A1519_FB_Sharp_WM_zps7bef624c.JPG
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5241 posts
3520 upvotes
There's tons of tutorials and resources online, enough to make your head spin

When I had a studio setup i just started off with a few umbrellas (shoot through white, silver bounce), before investing in a nice softbox (elinchrom). The only difference between a nice brand name with china cheapos, is build quality. If you need to set up and take down faster for events, brand name is nice. Otherwise the cheap stuff works fine if this is just casual. Eventually I completely downgraded to just using 4 Yongnuo flashes and paired them up on stands, great for events which i did more of later on.

Backdrops, steam iron, backdrop stand, are also important later.

Most importantly, you need one patient test model!

Good stands are a must too!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3181 posts
523 upvotes
Look into the Godox system. I use both their speedlites and their AD200 (and triggers), which is sort of a hybrid speedlite and studio strobe. I don't even use my Elinchroms anymore because of them. Their flashes act as transceivers so technically you don't even need triggers. It's a great system once you have figured it all out.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
The Neewer strobe you bought uses the Godox system (which is why I am also looking into buying the strobe as I have a Godox speedlite and trigger). This is what you would need

https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Wireless-T ... KAH6D0QC2G

godox trigger which I own (as you can see it's the exact same thing, just rebadged).

https://www.amazon.ca/Godox-Wireless-Tr ... ox+trigger

On a side note that is a lot of heavy duty equipment for an amateur not doing many photos (a 7d Mark II and a 5D Mark II?). The reality is, how much use would you get out of such a strobe? I think you should be practicing OCF with your speedlight first which will do a very good job with the right accessories, I do personally think this strobe is way overkill for where you are in your photography, and it is likely to collect dust unless you really have a passion for photography and wish to do more.
Nov 12, 2012
781 posts
514 upvotes
Calgary
More importantly, what type of photography do you do? A strobe is a great tool to have, and opens up a ton of options with a battery powered unit.

There are a ton of single light portrait setups, you would need a modifier and also a deflector to bounce off of for fill light.
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada
Firebot wrote: The Neewer strobe you bought uses the Godox system (which is why I am also looking into buying the strobe as I have a Godox speedlite and trigger). This is what you would need

https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Wireless-T ... KAH6D0QC2G

godox trigger which I own (as you can see it's the exact same thing, just rebadged).

https://www.amazon.ca/Godox-Wireless-Tr ... ox+trigger

On a side note that is a lot of heavy duty equipment for an amateur not doing many photos (a 7d Mark II and a 5D Mark II?). The reality is, how much use would you get out of such a strobe? I think you should be practicing OCF with your speedlight first which will do a very good job with the right accessories, I do personally think this strobe is way overkill for where you are in your photography, and it is likely to collect dust unless you really have a passion for photography and wish to do more.
Thanks for the info. I was doing some thinking and I want to get my flash off camera and was debating going with yongnuo flash system. Started pricing things out and it just seemed to add up in the end as well. I used to take a lot of photos and am trying to get back into it. I'm also concerned that speedlights aren't ideal for outdoor photos and would require multiple to make it happen adding to the price. The price tag isn't to crazy for this setup as I have a lot more expensive gear sitting.

Would you go with the Godox trigger or with the Neewer one? The Neewer one is only $30.
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada
bhrm wrote: There's tons of tutorials and resources online, enough to make your head spin

When I had a studio setup i just started off with a few umbrellas (shoot through white, silver bounce), before investing in a nice softbox (elinchrom). The only difference between a nice brand name with china cheapos, is build quality. If you need to set up and take down faster for events, brand name is nice. Otherwise the cheap stuff works fine if this is just casual. Eventually I completely downgraded to just using 4 Yongnuo flashes and paired them up on stands, great for events which i did more of later on.

Backdrops, steam iron, backdrop stand, are also important later.

Most importantly, you need one patient test model!

Good stands are a must too!
You find the Yongnuo flashes fine for outdoor work? For me personally I really see myself using this outdoors mostly. I would rather not be under powered with long recharge times.
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada
MikeinYYC wrote: More importantly, what type of photography do you do? A strobe is a great tool to have, and opens up a ton of options with a battery powered unit.

There are a ton of single light portrait setups, you would need a modifier and also a deflector to bounce off of for fill light.
I mostly do wildlife actually but want to start taking nice portraits. I've been able to get some decent portraits without flash but the flash photos really seem to pop.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
Paxonator wrote: I mostly do wildlife actually but want to start taking nice portraits. I've been able to get some decent portraits without flash but the flash photos really seem to pop.
I am a member of a photo club that do a winter indoor and summer outdoor portrait sessions with models. We use a couple speed lights and in the right hands, give amazing results. The instructor ( wedding photo pro ) makes a point of using some DIY tools like cardboard and tin foil reflectors, to get pro results.

If you havn't used one yet, get a $20 3 in 1 reflector. Once you learn how to manage light with it, probably the best investment you will ever make in photography.
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada
baillieul wrote: I am a member of a photo club that do a winter indoor and summer outdoor portrait sessions with models. We use a couple speed lights and in the right hands, give amazing results. The instructor ( wedding photo pro ) makes a point of using some DIY tools like cardboard and tin foil reflectors, to get pro results.

If you havn't used one yet, get a $20 3 in 1 reflector. Once you learn how to manage light with it, probably the best investment you will ever make in photography.
Good to know, photography sometimes is smoke and mirrors. My weakest point is probably the editing so my photos could probably be greatly improved learning that process.

What trigger and receiver would you recommend for my 580ex? I can use the the built in controller from my 7d indoors but I believe outdoors it isn't reliable.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
Paxonator wrote: Good to know, photography sometimes is smoke and mirrors. My weakest point is probably the editing so my photos could probably be greatly improved learning that process.

What trigger and receiver would you recommend for my 580ex? I can use the the built in controller from my 7d indoors but I believe outdoors it isn't reliable.
I am a Nikon shooter, so Canon gear is somewhere I havn't been. I shoot weddings with a pair of Younuo ettl flasher and transceivers.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5241 posts
3520 upvotes
Paxonator wrote: You find the Yongnuo flashes fine for outdoor work? For me personally I really see myself using this outdoors mostly. I would rather not be under powered with long recharge times.
Outdoor? Better off with a good handheld reflector if you have a helping hand.

Outdoor work you need serious power but i guess what you bought will do it. check out Joey L's work: https://joeyl.com/overview/category/quick-portfolio
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
If you want outdoor you'll need a powerful strobe instead of speedlights to be able cut through ambient light of the sun.

You'll probably want the Godox AD600.

You might want to consider playing with nautral light using reflectors and better lens (primes/2.8 zooms) before investing into strobes.

Just means setting up around sunrise or sunset for a shoot. There's a recent trend on social media of portraits captured using ambient light.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
Paxonator wrote: Thanks for the info. I was doing some thinking and I want to get my flash off camera and was debating going with yongnuo flash system. Started pricing things out and it just seemed to add up in the end as well. I used to take a lot of photos and am trying to get back into it. I'm also concerned that speedlights aren't ideal for outdoor photos and would require multiple to make it happen adding to the price. The price tag isn't to crazy for this setup as I have a lot more expensive gear sitting.

Would you go with the Godox trigger or with the Neewer one? The Neewer one is only $30.
Your strobe already has the Godox system built in. You just need the trigger (Neewer or Godox) to use it. As they are the same, just buy the cheaper Neeewer one (it's made by Godox).

A speedlite with HSS is more than adequate for strobing. I did strobes with speedlites in the past, the biggest advantage of a strobe with a battery pack is the fast recycling and power.

And here's the thing, for a proper lighting setup, you generally do need more than one light (strobe or speedlite).

rebel_rfd wrote: If you want outdoor you'll need a powerful strobe instead of speedlights to be able cut through ambient light of the sun.

The Newer NW600BM he bought is a rebadged Godox AD600. More than enough for any strobe usage (heck I think it's overkill for him at his level)
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada
rebel_rfd wrote: If you want outdoor you'll need a powerful strobe instead of speedlights to be able cut through ambient light of the sun.

You might want to consider playing with nautral light using reflectors and better lens (primes/2.8 zooms) before investing into strobes.

Just means setting up around sunrise or sunset for a shoot. There's a recent trend on social media of portraits captured using ambient light.
I've got plenty of 2.8 lenses and a reflector but maybe I haven't given the reflector an honest shot. Maybe I'm dreaming but I'm hoping this will get me back into taking more photos again.
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada
Firebot wrote: Your strobe already has the Godox system built in. You just need the trigger (Neewer or Godox) to use it. As they are the same, just buy the cheaper Neeewer one (it's made by Godox).

A speedlite with HSS is more than adequate for strobing. I did strobes with speedlites in the past, the biggest advantage of a strobe with a battery pack is the fast recycling and power.

And here's the thing, for a proper lighting setup, you generally do need more than one light (strobe or speedlite).

The Newer NW600BM he bought is a rebadged Godox AD600. More than enough for any strobe usage (heck I think it's overkill for him at his level)
Thanks for the reply. I know what you're saying with overkill and being a beginner with flash. I keep going back and forth between the options and many times I think it's just cheaper to get it all done first then baby step into things. In saying that this is still probably more than I need! But looking at the Godox ad200 priced at $395 on amazon the price difference is very minimal but the performance is much greater.

I ordered a cheap softbox and bowens mount so I can try my 580 out to compare the two. I'll use my tripod for now until I get a proper stand. So I guess I can try out both systems and return the nw600 if needed and go with speedlights.

I've been browsing a potn thread about single strobe examples and most look amazingly better than what I'm currently doing. It will be a definite learning process.