Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1272 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
purplekush604 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 12:07 am
Thanks for the reply!

I wish i could afford a second camera, but im purchasing a sony fdr x3000 action camera as well, everything is adding up to be quite a bit!!
What is youre opinion on this kit?

https://www.amazon.ca/Hoya-Digital-Filt ... =hoya+67mm

Hmm...I am not quite understanding your love for filters.
Anything you mount at the front of your lens will reduce quality of your images. The only question is by how much. ND filters degrade picture quality more than UV filters( by my tests). I am assuming it's because of the darkened glass.
Again, I can't recommend any because it's a waste of money, but as with a lot of things, the more you pay, the better quality you will get... No filters worth $100... and they won't really make your pictures better.
And be careful buying on Amazon. I've bought a few counterfeit items in the last few years( some were fulfilled by Amazon and almost had retail prices). It's the same as Ebay - lot of random sellers selling fake items.

As for 2 cameras and you not being able to afford it. I don't think that's true. Buy a used camera. Chances are you will be able to sell it for the same price when you are back.

And just to give you a reason here are a few real life stories

2007: On a safari another photographer brought 1 dslr and it stopped working on day 3 or 4. He was very sad for the rest of his trip...
Africa 2011: It was so hot my dslr and lens stopped working twice. Thankfully I had another camera.
2014: A photographer in my safari group had his dlsr die after 2 weeks.

IMHO, your whole equipment and "attitude towards it" may not be ideal.
I hope you didn't buy those lenses for the trip as they aren't very good. If you had them prior, that's fine, they are OK for the safari, but definitely not what I would use.

If I were you, I would run to kijiji and buy another used dslr( eg 7d,70D,60D, etc) doesn't matter. They are ALL THE SAME! Then get a used telephoto lens ( 100-400, 50-500, 100-600,etc).

Sell ALL of your lenses. They are not very good... Well, maybe 10-18mm can stay. Once you dial it down to say F7, it will be fine for wide angle landscapes. Your 70-300 is not a good action lens. It's Ok and will do the job, but you can't compare it to lenses such as 70-200L 2.8 . I would rather shoot with a 70-200 and only have 200mm in the end then try much luck with 70-300 and hope the 100mm will help me( it will not!).
1. It won't be focusing properly.
2. It wont' be focusing fast

So, to sum that all up. I would spend all money money on extra camera and better lenses.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1731 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
He has a point.

How long is your trip

If this is a really important trip, on you've been saving up for and if you enjoy photography a lot, I would consider investing or renting a fast 70-200 f/2.8 lens.

Maybe add a teleconverter for the extra reach.

In terms of ND filters, the X4 from Breakthrough is really good.

The worthwhile aspect of the UV filters is that you'll have sealed dust out of your front element before your trip.

Just be cautious when mounting on your ND filters during the trip.

He's been on three trips and checking across the forums, it seems like you want a very fast lens that can focus and shoot at shutters or 1/1000th during the Jeep treks.

It's up to you, but if I had your opportunity I would rent or invest in a very fast zoom.

I recently did the same myself when I went on my trip down to Florida/Disney World/Universal/Smoky Mountains and picked up the recent Canon 16-35 f/2.8 Mark 3 and ND filters from Breakthrough.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2010
344 posts
67 upvotes
Surrey
demi2004 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 10:20 pm
Hmm...I am not quite understanding your love for filters.
Anything you mount at the front of your lens will reduce quality of your images. The only question is by how much. ND filters degrade picture quality more than UV filters( by my tests). I am assuming it's because of the darkened glass.
Again, I can't recommend any because it's a waste of money, but as with a lot of things, the more you pay, the better quality you will get... No filters worth $100... and they won't really make your pictures better.
And be careful buying on Amazon. I've bought a few counterfeit items in the last few years( some were fulfilled by Amazon and almost had retail prices). It's the same as Ebay - lot of random sellers selling fake items.

As for 2 cameras and you not being able to afford it. I don't think that's true. Buy a used camera. Chances are you will be able to sell it for the same price when you are back.

And just to give you a reason here are a few real life stories

2007: On a safari another photographer brought 1 dslr and it stopped working on day 3 or 4. He was very sad for the rest of his trip...
Africa 2011: It was so hot my dslr and lens stopped working twice. Thankfully I had another camera.
2014: A photographer in my safari group had his dlsr die after 2 weeks.

IMHO, your whole equipment and "attitude towards it" may not be ideal.
I hope you didn't buy those lenses for the trip as they aren't very good. If you had them prior, that's fine, they are OK for the safari, but definitely not what I would use.

If I were you, I would run to kijiji and buy another used dslr( eg 7d,70D,60D, etc) doesn't matter. They are ALL THE SAME! Then get a used telephoto lens ( 100-400, 50-500, 100-600,etc).

Sell ALL of your lenses. They are not very good... Well, maybe 10-18mm can stay. Once you dial it down to say F7, it will be fine for wide angle landscapes. Your 70-300 is not a good action lens. It's Ok and will do the job, but you can't compare it to lenses such as 70-200L 2.8 . I would rather shoot with a 70-200 and only have 200mm in the end then try much luck with 70-300 and hope the 100mm will help me( it will not!).
1. It won't be focusing properly.
2. It wont' be focusing fast

So, to sum that all up. I would spend all money money on extra camera and better lenses.
Thanks for the long detailed response.
I actually have no love for filters, and to be honest don't even want to spend the money on it. The only reason i was considering nd and cpl filters, would be to take some shots, that ill never have the opportunity for again...But after some research and thinking, and suggestions from people on this thread, ive decided against those two. I was, and still am possibly thinking of purchasing UV filters, only for protection against dust and other elements.

I would say, you have convinced me on a second camera, thinking of a used 50d or 60d, any thoughts?

The only lens i got for the safari was my Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM...All the other equipment i had previously, the 18-135mm lens came with the camera, and i purchased the wide angle lens a few months ago. I would LOVE to get and L lens but they are so expensive, i was lucky and got the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM for 499 cdn i believe. And to be honest, since im still pretty new to photography, i wouldnt even know if im purchasing a good used lens, or if its a lens which has internal damage that i wouldnt even know to look for.....i truly appreciate the advice.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2010
344 posts
67 upvotes
Surrey
rebel_rfd wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 12:16 am
He has a point.

How long is your trip

If this is a really important trip, on you've been saving up for and if you enjoy photography a lot, I would consider investing or renting a fast 70-200 f/2.8 lens.

Maybe add a teleconverter for the extra reach.

In terms of ND filters, the X4 from Breakthrough is really good.

The worthwhile aspect of the UV filters is that you'll have sealed dust out of your front element before your trip.

Just be cautious when mounting on your ND filters during the trip.

He's been on three trips and checking across the forums, it seems like you want a very fast lens that can focus and shoot at shutters or 1/1000th during the Jeep treks.

It's up to you, but if I had your opportunity I would rent or invest in a very fast zoom.

I recently did the same myself when I went on my trip down to Florida/Disney World/Universal/Smoky Mountains and picked up the recent Canon 16-35 f/2.8 Mark 3 and ND filters from Breakthrough.
Thanks for the reply!
I've looked into renting it here locally and it would be worth it for me just to purchase a new lens....not sure if i will be able to rent a lens in kenya or tanzania, and its location and proximity would all be very important to me because i may not be able to return at the same location.

Im thinking of only purchasing uv filters, only for protection purposes, and like you said, to weather seal it here before i even leave for the trip. Breakthrough's filters arent cheap, the uv 67mm filter x2 or x4 have a huge price difference...double in price...and im sure double in quality as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1731 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
purplekush604 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 7:16 pm
Thanks for the reply!
I've looked into renting it here locally and it would be worth it for me just to purchase a new lens....not sure if i will be able to rent a lens in kenya or tanzania, and its location and proximity would all be very important to me because i may not be able to return at the same location.

Im thinking of only purchasing uv filters, only for protection purposes, and like you said, to weather seal it here before i even leave for the trip. Breakthrough's filters arent cheap, the uv 67mm filter x2 or x4 have a huge price difference...double in price...and im sure double in quality as well.
Breakthrough offer a 300 day return or exchange policy.

You could pick it up, a 3 and 6 stop.

If you aren't happy with the result, just return it after your trip.

Or grab the X2 and then exchange it to the X4 if it doesn't meet your expectations.

They are a great company with phenomenal customer service.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9490 posts
3634 upvotes
Southern Ontario
purplekush604 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 7:16 pm
...to weather seal it here before i even leave for the trip.
I don't think any of your lenses are weather or dust sealed.
e.g. https://photographylife.com/lenses/cano ... 5-6-is-stm

Putting the UV filter on just protects the front element from surface scratches, and perhaps dust from entering the front only. The risk remains getting them wet and dust entering other ways.

Do you edit in Lightroom? Could you be confusing the use of filters in place of creating editing? Watch some PhotoSerge vids, how he uses grads/radial tools, toning etc in Lightroom to literally paint all his effects in. Just keep in mind less is more and subtle works best.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9490 posts
3634 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Just saw this on imgur, you won't use a CPL this way on a safari but I liked the demo

[OP]
Sep 28, 2010
344 posts
67 upvotes
Surrey
rebel_rfd wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 8:27 pm
Breakthrough offer a 300 day return or exchange policy.

You could pick it up, a 3 and 6 stop.

If you aren't happy with the result, just return it after your trip.

Or grab the X2 and then exchange it to the X4 if it doesn't meet your expectations.

They are a great company with phenomenal customer service.
Thanks, I may actually do this and try it out, I appreciate the advice!
[OP]
Sep 28, 2010
344 posts
67 upvotes
Surrey
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 11:28 am
I don't think any of your lenses are weather or dust sealed.
e.g. https://photographylife.com/lenses/cano ... 5-6-is-stm

Putting the UV filter on just protects the front element from surface scratches, and perhaps dust from entering the front only. The risk remains getting them wet and dust entering other ways.

Do you edit in Lightroom? Could you be confusing the use of filters in place of creating editing? Watch some PhotoSerge vids, how he uses grads/radial tools, toning etc in Lightroom to literally paint all his effects in. Just keep in mind less is more and subtle works best.
Canon has a bunch of their L line up on sale. I would need image stabilization, EF 70-200 f/L is USM for $1379 or EF 70-300mm f/4L 5.6 is USM for $1699. Do you recommend any of those? I'm going to see how much it is to rent, but I feel it will be closer to $500 which I'd rather not pay.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1731 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
purplekush604 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 2:32 pm
Canon has a bunch of their L line up on sale. I would need image stabilization, EF 70-200 f/L is USM for $1379 or EF 70-300mm f/4L 5.6 is USM for $1699. Do you recommend any of those? I'm going to see how much it is to rent, but I feel it will be closer to $500 which I'd rather not pay.

Thanks
I would get the Mark 2 of the 70-200 F2.8. You could also get the 2x magnifier for cheap used.

That'll get you more range, autofocus might suffer a bit, but not too much.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9490 posts
3634 upvotes
Southern Ontario
purplekush604 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks
I don't have either, I have the big unwieldy 70-200 f/2.8II. The lighter smaller barrel 70-200 f/4 IS is a great travel version, effectively 320mm on crop. IS good for still life, not as needed for moving animals, unless you're panning at low shutter speed. If you find it used cheap, then have patience and resell it afterward, it may cost you nothing in the end.

Keep in mind there are 5 versions of the 70-200, the f/4 IS is the newer f/4 version.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_ ... 200mm_lens

For greater length, there's the pricier 100-400L or Sigma's 100-400, harder to find/resell.

Also, using an extender cuts aperture, so a Canon 2.0x on a 70-200 f/4 becomes 140-400 f/8 (max aperture).
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1272 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
purplekush604 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 7:10 pm
Thanks for the long detailed response.
I actually have no love for filters, and to be honest don't even want to spend the money on it. The only reason i was considering nd and cpl filters, would be to take some shots, that ill never have the opportunity for again...But after some research and thinking, and suggestions from people on this thread, ive decided against those two. I was, and still am possibly thinking of purchasing UV filters, only for protection against dust and other elements.

I would say, you have convinced me on a second camera, thinking of a used 50d or 60d, any thoughts?

The only lens i got for the safari was my Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM...All the other equipment i had previously, the 18-135mm lens came with the camera, and i purchased the wide angle lens a few months ago. I would LOVE to get and L lens but they are so expensive, i was lucky and got the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM for 499 cdn i believe. And to be honest, since im still pretty new to photography, i wouldnt even know if im purchasing a good used lens, or if its a lens which has internal damage that i wouldnt even know to look for.....i truly appreciate the advice.

Both cameras will the the job well. 60D has video and slightly better in ISO performance for darker conditions. That's pretty much it.

70-300 you have is not that good, as I mentioned. It will do the job, but it is an entry level lens.
Lenses don't break easily. In all my years of abusing various lenses, I've only had to repair them twice. If you don't drop them too much... they will work for a long time :)
A lens such as 70-200 2.8L is very solidly built and won't break easily. A used one should be around $1000( and was for the past 15 years - great resale value) .

As others suggested, you can also get a tele converter( only if you get the 70-200 2.8 lens). Though I am not sure I can recommend 2x. You may experience some focus issues with 2x. 1.4TC may be better and cheaper. Used teleconverters are not expensive and hold resale value well. They also don't really break, unless you start throwing them against ground.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9490 posts
3634 upvotes
Southern Ontario
demi2004 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 9:46 am
... They also don't really break, unless you start throwing them against ground.
Is that a confession lol
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1272 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 10:27 am
Is that a confession lol
I had an old 50mm sometime back and it was barely worth anything. Initially I dropped it twice at waist level to the concrete floor to see if it would break. It did not! Eventually I threw it with force and it broke.
Nov 26, 2015
15 posts
1 upvote
Montr
I'd keep it simple, just buy hoods and Hoya UV and CPL filter(s). HD line is strongly recommended. I always buy at BHPhoto, they deliver to Canada and most of the time is cheaper that buying locally.