• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 5:55 pm
[OP]
Sep 28, 2010
290 posts
57 upvotes
Surrey
Hey everyone

So I found a rental place, but to rent a good lens it will be about $400. They don't offer any protection plan or anytning. As someone who enjoys photography as a general hobby, I hate wasting my money, and I feel I'll regret I just didn't put the $400 towards a lens I can use in the future? Please help me make my decision, so confused!!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3758 posts
390 upvotes
Thornhill
purplekush604 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 2:56 pm
Hey everyone

So I found a rental place, but to rent a good lens it will be about $400. They don't offer any protection plan or anything. As someone who enjoys photography as a general hobby, I hate wasting my money, and I feel I'll regret I just didn't put the $400 towards a lens I can use in the future? Please help me make my decision, so confused!!
photography is a hobby as well and as mentioned, buying used and selling is the way to go. I've done it when I went to Safari in south Africa a few years ago and then also when I went to Brazil. Both times I was able to sell the lenses at the same price - well, actually I made $100 on one of the lenses as I bought it at a good price.
Renting is a bit stupid, as you said. You are wasting money.
I have friends who rent apartments and pay $2500+ a month which is just as stupid as they can easily put that and cover the whole mortgage and all the fees and actually own the place. I think some people just can't do the math perhaps.

Good luck. You will love the safari experience! I had 1 DSLR with 100-400L ( bought then sold) and then used my Sony Rx100 for wide angle shots as as my back up. There was a couple from Germany on our safari tour whose camera broke somehow during the flight to South Africa and they were happy they had another camera as backup.